Suggestion about the "Manual locking"..

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 6 Mar 2008.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I am note sure you received my PM c_t..

So I prefer set things clear :

I really don't understand which trouble my last topic would have caused..

I just wanted to contribuate to the evolution of this forum..

Sure I missed something..Maybe it already had a discussion about that which had made some people upset here..I don't see anything else..

So please, don't lock his one and explain the reason about the precedent locking of my topic..

PS : Not for c_t only, but for any administrator..

2. I think he made it pretty clear.

This has been discussed (in more than one thread) on the forum before, and it was pretty recent. The answer was a definite "no".

He's locked it simply to stop us having the same discussion for a second time, and with the same outcome. It's already been established that TC isn't going to get any more boards in the near future.

3. locking may've been a little harsh, but the answer's the same. tetris is a terse game, why can't this forum be terse too?

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

ok.. [​IMG]

Try to understand me..

I did not understand this reaction because when Ghetto creates an useless topic every weeks and nobody told him anything..So when I try to propose a smart improvement for the forum.. [​IMG]
    I expected an intelligente answer of c_t, I don't appreciate that he manage me like any noob, I have been registered here for almost 2 years, we already meet during 3 days, sleeped in the same room, planned to meet ourself again soon, and he brutally closes my opinion without any explanation..

PS : I searched on the 3 last pages of the forum to find a similar discussion and have not found one..

Sorry again..

5. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

http://www.tetrisconcept.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=881

You can't compare apples and oranges... [​IMG]

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Thank you DIGITAL..

But please forgive me for the fact that the english is not my natural language, and I never will be able to check every new topics as easily as you do.. [​IMG]

Just another point of view, about potential coming of visitor, sometimes, There is NO one topic with the word "Tetris" in the title..

So as a visitor, I would think this forum is a mess..

That is my opinion..And I absolutly don' see the risk to separate the different leaderboard..

Ah ! one second lost to click on the case of the game.. [​IMG]
    EXAMPLE : Almost impossible today to get easily texmaster or any heboris soundpack..

PS : I promise to stop now the discussion..

7. There's no risk, but the records board isn't full. There's only about 6 or 7 active leaderboards, and they are near the top. If we split the records into games, we'd just have a lot of boards with only two or three threads each.

Ignoring the argument to do with boards, I do think that moderators could perhaps edit thread titles, and maybe split more ruthlessly, because it can sometimes be extremely difficult to find specific things, especially if they're not on the first page. The search function is sometimes quite unhelpful.

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

why don't we let thread creators add tags to the thread? there could be a list of accepted tags like "TGM" "Lockjaw" "Heboris" "20G" "T-spin" and you put a check next to all that apply. then have the same list on the search page where you put checks next to what you're searching for.

i doubt anyone would put a check next to everything to try and get more hits on their thread. but if you searched for "T-spin" and found an unrelated thread, a moderator could remove that tag from the thread. if someone repeatedly abuses the system then they can't create new threads for a while or they get banned or whatever.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Maybe you can't compare fruits, but speakers of some languages can. And I can if I put away Tetris DS and fire up Animal Crossing:
    The goat without se.cx?

Oh, that Texmaster. What problem are you having with sendspace?

You mean like LJ sounds for Heboris.7z?

That's what the search button is supposed to be for, but phpBB search is deficient in at least a half-dozen areas that I could rattle off.

10. I don't think that would help.

The problem is not that the search engine fails to find results. The problem is that it'll bring up way too many. Unless you can remember a specific phrase that would be unique to the thread, or remember the title of the thread you want, it's pretty difficult to find what you want.

11. "The search function is sometimes quite unhelpful."

google:

site:tetrisconcept.com key words

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The difference is that with a search function, you are coming up with the "tags" that threads may or may not have. A tag system is basically an extension of a subforum as it pre-groups threads. Though it still comes down to how and if a thread will be tagged/grouped in the first place.

13. I'm sorry that my reply was so short... I was leaving for work and didn't have much time.

Just so you know though, I found absolutely nothing wrong with your post... I didn't lock it because of your behaviour, I locked it because it was a dead discussion that has happened many times already. As you can see with DIGITAL's link, there was a big big 4 page debate about adding subforums only 1 month ago. At the climax of this discussion about creating subforums, someone actually added a subforum about creating subforums. [​IMG] So it was very visible to everyone: "General Discussion", "Records", and "Subforum Discussion".

Again, I'm very sorry I wasn't clearer when locking the topic. If I had more time I would have definitely given more information and a link to the recent discussion. I just didn't want to arrive home from work to see another 4 page discussion on this topic... A discussion that will go nowhere because subforums aren't going to happen.

14. jujube

jujube Unregistered

it brings up way too many because someone might mention "Heboris" in any thread, regardless of the topic, because we like to go off topic. now if you search for "Heboris" this post will pop up. but it wouldn't if this thread didn't have a "Heboris" tag and you only did a tag search.

15. You've identified the problem there, but I still don't see how the tag search is THAT useful. It's like a filter, but it's not a hugely efficient one.

There's also the problem of people neglecting to put tags on threads.

16. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i don't know, i think it'd be pretty efficient having 2 or 3 words associated with a thread rather than 2000 or 3000. just look at edo's thread, and how things are categorized. if you gave each tetris splash thread a "tetris splash" tag then that's all you'd get when you search for "tetris splash". and if someone forgets to put tags on their thread then it's their loss, because people will hit a similar thread instead when they search.

it would help. we can sit here and argue about how much but that isn't accomplishing anything. we can either do it and make things a little better, or do something else, or leave things the way they are.