So has wi-fi Tetris dashed your dreams?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Shirase, 18 May 2006.

1. Shirase

Shirase Unregistered

How many here considered themselves expert Tetris players before playing online, only to be completely owned?

Personally, I'd like to consider myself one of the good players. I have fond memories of college and Tetris DX. Not to mention playing the original on gameboy years ago.

However, after seeing some of the videos of the elite, I now realize that I'm not as great as I thought. However, I'm actually excited. It gives me a chance to reinvent my strategies. The idea of being able to go toe to toe with these guys gets my heart pumping.

So how many have found themselves in this situation? Or have I just proven how much of a Tetris geek I am? [​IMG]

2. it's definitely refreshing to see so much competition in tds. when i first played tetris worlds live, it was so awful that noone knew what they were doing, but with wifi, it's a completely different story.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

My dreams were dashed when I watched the infamous "Tetris Japan Finals" video, before the DS itself was announced.

I got to around 7000 on WFC by practicing and improving my speed until I could beat the CPU on level 4 regularly.

4. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

Before Tetris DS, I felt that while I was not the BEST best player (I've seen the same Tetris videos you guys have), I still figured I was pretty damn good.

After Tetris DS and Wifi... that assumption has pretty much been confirmed. [​IMG] I've been hovering around 7300-ish, mostly sticking around the top 100 players on the Nintendo Wifi network. So... while I'm not #1 and probably could never be, I'm content with being someone in the top something-or-other.

5. I was at 7th (in the world) at one point on TDS.

Then the silly japs got it and I've never been that high up again, though I did come close (around 43rd).

I just have really, really bad luck with garbage.

6. I find the method of playing against your friends really cumbersome in TDS. It should be simple like Mario Kart, but here you have to pick if you want to hoist or join. Very unnecessary.

7. The problem with doing it another way is that you would have no way to pick your game mode.

Of course, the whole "Friend Code" system is stupid anyway.

8. Please don't get me started on Mario Kart's friend mode.

With clans, tournaments, it is EXTREMELY annoying when you want to play against 3 other certain people, and instead you only get one of them and some other random person that was on. 6 times in a row.

The R trick helps somewhat, but not when the last person isn't 'found' in time.

9. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

I just hope future iterations of the Nintendo Wifi Friend Code system makes playing others a hell of a lot more accessable.

10. Guest

Guest Unregistered

This tetris wifi is a dream come true. I have played a lot of tetris especially the new tetris and have been waiting my life to size up against the world. Im usually in the top 50 aiming to never quit below 7500. My peak was 7997 good for 3rd at the time. Misdrops are my nemesis. Im eager to crack 8000. Maybe meet up with one of these cheaters who are doling out the points. The key is to find higher rated players. That always gives your rating a boost.