sega ages

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 14 Sep 2006.

1. That sounds a bit too much like an essay question.

Can someone clarify what exacty I just saw? It looked like some wierd Tetris compendium. Seeing as my Tetris experience stretches to NES, GB, and TDS I'm not too knowledgeable on such things.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

0:22 Tetris New Century

Sega Tetris modified minimally to fit the guideline.

0:50 Sega Tetris

Japanese arcade game that most westerners know only from MAME.

1:14 Flashpoint

The goal is to clear all lines containing flashing blocks.

1:29 Bloxeed

Tetromino game with items. Notice the "B" in the line that player 1 clears? It makes a bomb. Dueltris for Apple IIGS is a straight up clone of this game, and some of the powerups have ended up in Tetris Jr (keychain).

1:53 Tetris

Korobeiniki means Henk is starting to have an influence, although the classic Sega colors remain. But I see a coop mode here.

A bit of wikipediophilia should clear up some of the details.

3. 1:52 - Sega Tetris (System E)

A version of Sega Tetris using the cheaper System E board, instead of System 16 which the more popular version used. The System E is a board compatible with the Sega Mark III console. The game has a different game balance than the System 16 version. Supposedly this version was created in response to the System 16 version's immense popularity.

1:58 - Sega Tetris (Megadrive)

The port of Sega Tetris to the Megadrive (Genesis) console, which never was. The game was complete, but was never released due to the results of the now-legendary rights battle between Mirrorsoft, Atari, Nintendo et al.

It is interesting to see that the Megadrive version contains a Doubles mode, where two players play cooperatively in a wide playfield. Doubles mode is included in TGM2, which its developer has mentioned in an interview that he borrowed the idea from an "unlicensed X68000 clone".

That clone is supposedly ?????? SEMIPRO-68k, better known as Shimizu Tetris - it is the first game to implement 20G, and also featured a Doubles mode.

Which brings forth the conjecture: The developer of Shimizu Tetris could have implemented Doubles mode out of information of the Megadrive version publicized prior to its cancellation, which then the developer of TGM2 built Doubles out of.

So we can see this collection is pretty thorough as far as Sega is concerned, going into details as including ports of the same game. All it lacks is the 1998 Dreamcast/NAOMI "New" Sega Tetris.

4. I'm pretty sure, though it was never officially released, many pirate copies of Megadrive Tetris found their way to market. Like, bootleg games, not an unlicensed but otherwise official game like Tengen Tetris. Certainly, I've seen them for auction.

And I do believe it's also missing Tetris S for the Saturn. But I haven't heard of any reason why we should care about that game.

Anyhow this compilation is interesting mainly for those wanting to see the progression of the Sega/TGM styles. Sega's Tetris started it all... Flashpoint is Sakura mode... And Bloxeed has hints of Shirase and might be the first time items were used in a Tetris game. Certainly it influenced TGM's VS mode.

5. tepples

Tengen's Tet?is: The Soviet Mind Game had such a doubles mode, with two players cooperating to fill one well. So did Shimizu develop it based on Tengen's game?

Huh? All I see in TGM3 Shirase are the high speed, the periodic garbage in levels 500 to 999, and the colorless blocks after 1000. Is there something I'm missing from the videos?

6. Of course not. Are you forgetting how amazingly early Shimizu Tetris is? They're both 1989, and I think Shimizu Tetris might predate it. Which is interesting, because it means Sega Tetris got a fan port before Atari Tetris got an official port. [​IMG]

Bingo. Not just any garbage either, the duplicate-bottom-row kind.

7. d

d Unregistered

Anybody know if this game has a 480p mode?

And secondly, is the tnc mode any good/fun?

I saw a video on youtube and it looked pretty good.

8. i went to view the video and all i saw was

so, does this mean the video was taken down? I didn't get to see it [​IMG]

9. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

True and accurate information.

Sega Tetris: Arcade original.

Flashpoint: This became Sakura.

Bloxeed. This includes the "advancing PATTERN" style simgle player garbage, seen in TGM+ mode, as well as items, seen in VS, and clone garbage, also seen in versus. it does NOT include "copy bottom" garbage. that was aninvention of ARika.

E system version= version on Sega Master System hardware.

Megadrive version=version that never got released, inferior to all the others, in my opinion, except for doubles. realy weird "item block" system.

AND..

Tetris:New Century. This is SEGA tetris, made guideline compliant. You can turn off the infinity, but Extra mode is properly balanced for infinity, and just gets so fast it's hard to spin fast enough to keep pieces fro sticking.

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

oh crap, i never realized there were 3 classic tetris game included [​IMG]
    you have to go to classic games from the main menu, choose tetris, then hit select for the system menu, then choose between system 16, system E, and mega drive (default is system 16). strange, because when you select classic games after starting the system it sends you to a screen where you choose between tetris, bloxeed, and flash point. i wonder why they don't let you choose to play system E or mega drive tetris from that screen.

TNC is your alternative to "classic games" from the startup screen. it's not a mode, but a game in itself which includes versus, extra, marathon, 40 lines, and ultra modes. like zaphod said, infinity can be disabled in the options menu. you can also disable the ghost piece there. in the system menu you can assign the buttons to whatever function you want, and there's an option to record and view games (same for the classic games). as far as 480p support goes, i have no idea.

here are a couple TNC videos:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AkmBYjfPXjk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KphL8NXAvp0

and a T&C video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qgQVHsU7u84

11. tepples

The original games ran in 240p. What would 480p add, other than increased compatibility with some HDTVs that don't like 240p component video *cough*Vizio*cough*?

12. d

d Unregistered

What few seem to realize is that 480i sucks. This gives a blurry image.

480p gives a crisp image. So graphically it reall matters alot. World of difference

And I play on a ps3. The ps3 can also handle the native 480p signal through hdmi. 240p doesn't work on the ps3, nor can it be transmitted through 480p.

13. tepples

That's news to me. It works on the PS2 when running the majority of PS1 games. But then Sony doesn't make anything but the PS2-incompatible 40 GB PS3 anymore.

14. Muf

Muf

The original games did not run at 240p, the software ran at 240 lines @ 59.94Hz, but the RAMDAC would output this as 480i, with each field having no spatial shift, but only a temporal one (as opposed to being offset half a field up or down). Even on a CRT display this looks different from real progressive signal, with the interlaced signal appearing more "jumpy" and the progressive signal having more noticeable scanlines. In fact a vast majority of digital TV sets (probably 90%) will consider this signal interlaced and give it appropriate treatment (deinterlacing). On my TV set this causes Mario to look better when he's moving than when he's standing still, as the TV is interpolating to 480 lines as it would any other interlaced signal, but is passing it through untouched when the screen is static. With 480p, this problem does not exist and each pixel is a crisp representation of its CGA glory, and the TV does not attempt to interpolate anything.

You could argue that the console could then output pure 240p (as opposed to the 480i that the original old consoles output, or 480p which would seem a redundant line doubling), but in fact no such thing exists in the video/television world, and 480p is the nearest alternative. Actual, real, supported video modes include: 480i, 480p, 576i, 720p, 1080i (note the lack of 576p or 1080p modes-- 576i is provided for backwards compatibility with PAL only, and 1080p is not a standard defined by HDTV, but it can be transmitted over HDMI, and some TV sets support it, however most of the time 1080p is just a deinterlaced or inverse telecined 1080i signal).

So in short, the answers to your question are:

- Video monitors (and TVs) can now display progressive properly, and thus games will output this rather than the inferior interlaced signal

- In the digital age, interlaced output is causing problems that can be solved by outputting pure progressive

- 240p is not a video standard (e.g., not part of NTSC, PAL, or HDTV standards), and no TV set is required to support it

15. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Yea, NTSC encoders suck.

Some ntsc displays will display 240p when given a standard 480i NTSC signal. Typical among these are old composite color computer monitors, such as the commodore 1702. WHen the computer is attached to one you get a really sharp display because it's not interlaced.

Typical consoles will output 480I, and attempt to apply some sort of correction to deal with the fact that the two fields are slightly offset.

TO see this in action, simply hook up a console to a video capture card.

The NES will be one of the worst examples, and will appear to show diagonal stripes all over the screen.

A sega genesis will have color fringing and will seem to have vertical stripes.

The playstation encoders will pass white (and some other colors) straight through, but will offset darker colors one pixel on alternate frames, causing jagged vertical lines which are very vsible on the metal gear solid radar, for example. On a real TV instead you usually get dot crawl.

The Atari Jaguar is a special case. you can toggle whether the NTSC encoder applies the interlace correction or not. WHen attached to a composite computer monitor with RCA jacks, choosing the "monitor" setting results in a very SHARP picture.

16. tepples

An interlaced signal has vertical sync pulses that alternate between odd and even fields. But standard-resolution JAMMA games, 8-bit home computers, and old consoles generate all odd fields or all even fields, and the net effect of this on arcade monitors and the analog CRT SDTVs of the time is 240p.

Which pre-1999 consoles do you own, so that you can help me figure out what you are trying to say?

That's because most upscalers in LCD and plasma HDTV sets designed for private home use are designed with video sources from the past decade in mind. But CRT SDTVs still might display 240p as 240p; I'll try mine when I get home from work.

That's a problem with home TVs' upscalers, which can't be set to bob only.

You're right that low-definition television doesn't meet any national standard. But "240p" is an accurate description of the signal generated by NTSC Atari 2600, Apple II family, Commodore 64, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, and the vast majority of games for NTSC Genesis, Super NES, PlayStation, and Nintendo 64.

Supported by what?

Not required, but in practice, LDTV worked on the TVs in use during the era of LDTV consoles (1977-1999).

It appears the problem here is a misunderstanding of "supported".

That has little to do with 240p vs. 480i vs. 480p. The NES and Super NES show diagonal stripes on checkerboard dither patterns involving different colors because when the chroma signal is generated, it isn't properly filtered to the chroma band (3.0 to 4.2 MHz in NTSC) before being mixed with luma.

That brings up a good point: You can see the result of various LDTV consoles' cost-cutting shortcuts to NTSC encoding on this page. But by the SDTV console era (1999-present), most consoles were using dot crawl patterns that conformed more closely to the national standards.

17. d

d Unregistered

All consoles before the Dreamcast output 240p. And so did the original jamma pcb's. But somehow I must interpret you statements I think. [​IMG]
    Some exceptions, some games like Virtua fighter Saturn and for instance the Playstation boot screen run at 480i.

After that they all ran 480i, with optional 480p or higher signals.

So.......still no-one knows if the Sega Tetris collection runs at 480p?

And should I get it for the heck of it? It looks pretty cool to me.

18. Muf

Muf

I was explaining that this "net effect" is in the eye of the beholder, and that it is certainly not transmitted as a progressive signal, leading to the aforementioned results on digital televisions.

I own a NES and a PSX, but that is entirely beside the point. There is a visible difference between faux-progressive interlaced signal on a video monitor (or computer monitor that supports interlaced synch) and a true progressive signal on a computer monitor.

Even displays with professional use behave exactly the same. In fact-- as you shift from consumer displays to professional displays, the quality of the upscalers only increases (along with the price tag). As long as the signal is interlaced, and the image is moving, and the algorithm can't make out exactly what the lines in between should be, they will be filled up with interpolated lines, in a "connect-the-dots" fashion, destroying the progressive CGA look. This has nothing to do with being "designed for private home use" as you so redundantly emphasised in italic.

Again, it's 240 lines transmitted over 480i, which might or might not look like 240p. I can probably spot the difference, you might not be able to. We can argue until the cows come home but in the end the only thing we can agree on is that the signal is different, and that it causes the electron beam to behave differently than if the CRT was fed a progressive signal. Thus it is not a progressive signal.

If it could be set to bob only, the picture would be interpolated all the time, instead of being left alone when static. This would solve the problem exactly how? You may want to research your terminology, cause you've been flinging technical terms around with no clue to their true meaning.

That is entirely up to personal opinion and interpretation. Please do not state opinions as facts.

Supported by TVs and video monitors. Please note that while computer monitors support a variety of resolutions and refresh rates (often referred to as "Multi-synch" monitors), trying to feed a CRT TV or video monitor a progressive signal is highly likely to cause an out-of-synch warning, or damage to the unit.

The horrid misunderstanding of video standards on that page makes me cringe. [​IMG]

19. d

d Unregistered

So you are saying that consoles before the Dreamcast output 480i, but that the tv recognizes it as 240p?

interesting, BUT, still this 480i disguised as 240p is much crisper than a console displaying an internally made 480i signal.

[​IMG]
    I learn something every day!