S9/Gm TGM players - Tell me how much I suck

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Taratang, 31 Aug 2006.

1. I've been playing TGM on and off for the past 3 months now, and I'm struggling to improve. I can hit S4 fairly consistently, with the occasional S6 or better but I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle as soon as 20G kicks in and the garbage will gradually build up.

Here is a screenie of my best game to date:

[MODDED]

To those that have surpassed this, how long did it take you to clear TGM? How long afterwards to reach Gm? Was there a moment when you suddenly felt comfortable sustaining 20G play? Do I just need more practice practice practice or is there some deep secret? [​IMG]

Any general advice would be welcomed. [​IMG]

Also, does anyone know of any British Gm class players or would I be likely to be the first if I get there?

2. I'm a British player, but I've never played.

Does an emulator count?

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Having trouble with 20G? After you put in money but before you start the game, enter the following code:

Down Down Down Down

Down Down Down Down

C B A

Then go grab Lockjaw and see how long you can survive in Rhythm mode.

4. I've never heard of a British Gm class player. French German and Swedish, but not British.

Anyhow your screenshot was very close to Gm! Eventually it's quite possible to play confortably in 20g, and it will come in time. From the looks of things you're well on your way. [​IMG]

I'm not the best person to ask how long it should take, as I took many breaks at first. But If I had to guess, I'd say you'll hit Gm withint the next month or two.

General 20g tips:

Holes in the middle are incredibly difficult to fix, so try to keep holes on the sides as much as possible.

Ok, maybe that's only one tip, but it's the most important.

5. Could you give me a web site where I could get the TGM emulator?

6. K

K

1) train 20G mode with the code given by Teeple

2) learn with consistency the rotation system here.

(no need of japanese skills ; watch closely on the animated gif... for all special move and rotations)

3) watch several time this video and try to assimilate.

4) Be MOTIVATED ! [​IMG]

7. Getting closer...

[MODDED]

This could've easily been a Gm run if I hadn't gone had such a horrible 900-999 run with nothing but singles and doubles [​IMG]

8. Aww, you were like 15 seconds and negligible points away. [​IMG]
    Keep at it!

9. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

owww soo close...

10. I'm in the same boat as you, Taratang. I've managed to make S9 a couple of times but have been stuck on the verge of Gm for a few months now. [​IMG]

You're doing better than me though. I've been playing TGM off and on for almost 2 years now. [​IMG]

[MODDED]

11. And another player enters the fray! [​IMG]

Welcome Mr. Antisocial and good luck to you too.

12. Meanwhile, PetitPrince's still struggling to learn how to play at high speed...

[​IMG]

^-^

13. mat

mat

meanwhile, i feel the pain... the S8 pain... but, TGM2 S8... still... sucks. from one battle to the next i suppose... [​IMG]
    you guys are doing really good though, you'll be tgm1 Gm in no time.

-mat

14. TGM is so different to TDS. There was a time when I would say that Tetris is Tetris, but after an hour of playing I'm struggling to adapt well enough to get to an S rank. S2 is my highest. Generally I screw up at level 170-200 after about 2-3mins, because the roation is different, as is the nature of the infinite spin. Usually when the speed drops again I've messed up too much to recover.

I can't see myself getting good at TGM until I've had a lot more practice. But by nature it should be hard. It's an arcade game, and therefore is created to make you lose, and insert another coin. You're supposed to get stuck at the same bit time and again, putting more money in as you try to get a higher score. Otherwise it's not a good arcade machine for the owner.

EDIT: Got the USB joystick. It's not an arcade style one, it's a huge one, which I don't think helps. I was expecting it to be harder with a stick not buttons, but it isn't. It's just different.

15. Oh my god!! I did it! I FINALLY did it!!! [​IMG]

[MODDED]

Now to move onto TGM2. [​IMG]

16. Congratulations!

It's a great feeling isn't it?

17. mat

mat

YAY!

18. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Wow congratz!

You guys really make me feel bad for not practicing [​IMG]

I need a joystick, or a new joypad to playing.. Can anyone recommend me one that could be used on the CPU?

M$oft SideWinder is just crap.

19. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you want a controller with a non-shite feel, I recommend a PlayStation joypad through an adapter. (You can ignore the "dance pad incompatibility" column because you won't need to press two different kinds of drop at once in Tetris.) I swear by my EMS USB2 adapter. N64 controllers should work too through an adapter, and I use a black N64 controller exclusively to test LJ.

If you have an Xbox 360 Core System, I've been told that you can just plug its wired controller into any USB slot, install drivers, and play.