Road to TAP master mode in 7:2X

Thread in 'Strategy' started by cyberguile, 30 Jan 2015.

1. Been playing a lot recently of master mode to get faster and faster.
    Considering my best section times, my theoretical best is currently at 7:18:65 which means both nothing (since some of the records were made by stacking high with counterstop abuse on the previous sections to get many tetrises) and something since my first section best is 49:46.

I am currently struggling with three different problems to get sub 7:40 first then sub 7:35 (which is my current goal) and 7:30 (which is my current "realistic mid-time goal"). I still don't understand how I could get under 7:25 but, meeeh, they do it, I'll do it.

1 consistency
    2 800-999 speed (I can't get under 33 seconds on both of them when japanese bests from tetris-holic are at 28 and 26. Which means something like 7 seconds consistent improvement can be made just on those two sections. Huge !)
    3 global game strategy

For the first two, well, just need to train I suppose (playing agressively fast gets me wrist pain though, so can't do it that much).
    But for the third one... I need your help to decide what seems best.

My biggest problem is the 250-420 part which seems too fast to do the up/down motion but too slow to stack low considering my skills.
    So I have two choices, stack high and fuck it all up, stack low and play with the down direction of the stick almost always pressed resulting in huge misdrops because a tetromino goes too far on the left or the right of the screen.

I currently decided to stack high and see what happens.
    If I can't get consistent enough, I will plug TGM1 and learn how to play that darn game with the down direction always pressed :p

So here is my current global strategy (with "time flags" I settled. If I'm slower, I reset)

0-100 52 seconds, just go for fast tetrises only. Stop clearing lines from 85, clear whatever at 99 (this is the strategy I try to stick on for the whole game to make sure not getting a single counterstop)
    100-200 1min40 seconds, same as the first section (with a time flag at 170 that should be reached before 1:30)
    200-250 stop clearing lines, start stacking high, abuse zangi-moves, create a stack with a nice and clean hole on the right, then a low column, then a high stack
    250-420 keep the stack high, clear tetrises and triples
    I will reset the game if I reach 400 in 3:30 or 500 in 4:20, need to be faster that that to have a chance of getting sub 7:35
    420-700 play fast, abuse zangi-moves, higher stack in the middle to drop several pieces in a row, tetrises only
    700-999: "just play as fast as you can without giving a shit about the rank nor what you are clearing" (even if tetrises is best until 900)

Any ideas to improve ?

2. I've only shaved my game to 9:45 s8 this week from 10:30 for the past few months, but I did it by stacking high from 300-500. That's definitely where my gainz came from.

3. Sorry dude...

But you have to switch that 8-way. Be a man about it :V

I would actually be curious to watch a video showing how you handle the 800-999 part. I'll try and give a hand, though Master is definitely my weak point at the moment

Kitaru likes this.