Randomizer ideas

Thread in 'Research & Development' started by Kevcel, 25 Feb 2015.

1. I've got some randomizer idea that suddenly just came to mind. I highly doubt it's some new idea, but it is still worthy to post about.
    In games without a hold feature (and no bag system), an effective way to avoid long sequences of the same piece is to implement some sort of reroll. If shit happens, good players are generally able to maintain a reasonable stack with some skimming techniques. However, there is one annoyance you can't do anything about when aiming for tetrises: the drought of I-pieces. Since it's random (not very likely, but absolutely not impossible), this can and does happen sometimes, which basically means your run is screwed in a highscore type of game.
    Since current 7-bag systems are boring due to their predictability, I was thinking about the following 2 ideas:

(i) Random randomizer (with or without re-roll), but if there happens to be a sequence of 9 non I-pieces, then the 10th will be automatically I-piece.

[or]

(ii) Sort of 10 bag system. A bag contains 10 random pieces. If the first 9 contains no I-piece, then the 10th will be automatically I-piece. And then the next bag will start.
    If at least 1 of the first 9 pieces does contain a line piece, then #10 will be random as well. After this the next bag will start.

Obviously I chose a sequence of 10 pieces, because you need at least 10 pieces to create a tetris on a 10-width field.

Some questions of mine for discussion would be:
    0. Is it shitty or a good, logical idea? :p
    1. What are the advantages / disadvantages? Do you have some suggestions about these two ideas, which would improve them?
    2. How easily or difficult could these two ideas be implemented? I have no clue if this would be possible or not.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2015
  2. Muf

Muf

Ti uses a 35-bag drought prevention system not unlike yours. Except it doesn't discriminate between pieces. Basically, the longer you go without a certain piece, the more likely you are to get it. In a hypothetical drought where you haven't gotten any I-pieces for 34 deals in a row, the drought prevention bag will be filled with 35 I-pieces, making the odds of getting an I-piece 100%.

3. It kinda makes sense to have a system that doesn't discriminate between pieces. Also, I can see why 35-bag would work. Suppose you'd be unlucky to get 34 pieces without any I-piece, and you're able to leave one column open while stacking, then
    ''height of stack'' = 34*4/9 = 15.1 rows.
    Seems like a good limit, since you can't top out starting from an empty play field.

Btw, if the exact Ti randomizer system happens to be written somewhere, could you provide the link?
    If not, don't bother of making the effort. ;)

4. Muf

Muf

From Randomizer theory:

5. So actually by my understanding what you initially said was wrong muf. Partly because it can take less than a 34-piece drought before the 35-bag is in theory completely full of I pieces (because it can and almost certainly will re-roll multiple times and swap multiple bag items per piece given to the player). And partly because "least recently received piece in the bag" doesn't necessarily have to be an I at the start of the 34-piece drought. Actually by definition for the first piece of your 'drought' the previous piece will have been an I. The first several bag swaps of your I drought could, and would at least for the first 6, be an entirely different piece to an I.

Assuming you were to never reroll (and it would just perfectly cycle the other 6 pieces), and there were no I's in the 35-bag to begin with, you could actually have a 40 piece drought before you were 100% to get another I

6. Wait, what?? Ti had this behavior all along? I thought for years according to the wiki that Ti behaved identically to TAP.

Can someone update the TGM randomizer page on the wiki to include this?

Qlex likes this.