Predictive Programming

Thread in 'Research & Development' started by BDCowe, 8 Jun 2014.

1. After a bit of a break, I proclaimed (foolishly?) on Tetris' 30th Anniversary that I am locking in on the NES maxout, as I believe I've made the necessary adjustments to shoot for the max in earnest. That being said, I've spent a number of hours in the game the past couple of days and it got me thinking: Is there evidence of any kind of predictive programming that's been found in the game's code when it comes to the "blocking your well/line piece" phenomenon?

I only ask because, well, it's just too damned convenient too often. I mean, the whole "line piece drought" thing is pretty easily understood as a function of needing that particular piece and not because it's a line piece, as it's fairly easy to observe that droughts apply equally to all pieces, let alone the discetion that's been done on the way the piece generation works...

...But this blocking the well thing, where the next damned piece is a line...come on. In my experience, the line piece is far more likely to appear after a blocked well than any other piece. Maybe this has been discussed before, and maybe I'm just super salty right now, but I had to ask.

Yeah, yeah. I'm sure it's all in my head. :p

2. Yep, just superstition. :p

3. Yep, this is one of those thing I know is in my head, but screw it, I believe it anyway. This and the notion that its best to flip at the last possible second. I know both ideas are crap, and I believe them anyway. I am superstitious to the core ;)

4. For me, it's getting the line piece right after getting the L piece - like every time the stack is getting high. Then I try to adjust the L piece somewhere else and fail probably half the time. Annoying.

5. Well, maybe it's not in the code because it was written in invisible ink. (Ba-Dum-Bum...) :facepalm: