Practice with SRS for a faster TPM?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Kasumi, 5 Oct 2008.

1. So I've been playing a lot of Tetris clones/etc that use the Arika rotation system. And after playing multiplayer against a few people that use SRS, I've realized I'm not playing as fast as I could. (I know ARS vs. SRS is an uphill battle. I'm talking about when we both use SRS.)

I usually use the time between a tetromino locking, and the next piece entering to glance to see what the next piece is going to be so I can IRS/IHS if needed. But when I play SRS, after hard dropping the next tetromino comes out immediately, and I have NO idea what to do about it. I lose a little time on every tetromino, because I'm used to having that time to spare.

Do you think playing more SRS is a good way to learn to always keep an eye on the next pieces? Because it'd be a useful skill to have in all Tetris games, tetlag aside.

2. You're just new and not used to the game yet. You'll get faster. As someone who has been trying to get faster for a very long time, I'll tell you that there are no quick fixes. You can't just switch rotation systems, or change your keyboard layout (or even input method for that matter), etc--and expect to get fast all of a sudden.

To answer the question in the thread's title, no. Don't play SRS just for faster speed. While everything outside wallkicks and locking behavior is more logical than ARS, I play SRS because I want to be better in future games. ARS is a dead language, and I want to play competitive Tetris. People still play ARS for its aesthetics. Maybe the games that do use it are better. I don't know. All in all, there are better reasons to choose a rotation system than speed. Your rotation system won't matter in the long run.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Ha ha...What a joke.. [​IMG]

For my case, I would think that both of these rotation system have a similar potential for highest speeds..

I mean, when I was in my SRS training period on DOOM, I was approaching the TORIKAN 500 around 2:45, and I am sure that I would have reached 2:28 with few additional weeks of practice..
    An expert player with SRS can has an aesthetics game as well as ARS..
    You can follow the same way as caffeine and use exclusively one system to master it at 99,9%, or practice both for the culture, or simply for pleasure..
    I like sometimes play on SRS, and then I am happy to get back on ARS..
    The "switching motion" between ARS and SRS is something which can be improved as any other ability in Tetris, with the time, you can be able to switch with a very limited tetlag..
    Before, I needed 3 weeks to properly recover myself after switching, now I can do it in less than 1 week.

To directely answer to the title of your topic, I felt that practicing DOOM 300 with SRS gave me a good and safe exercice which allowed me to lock agressively without beiing afraid by the lock delay.
    In a long term, I am sure that this kind of exercice contributes a bit to make improve your confidence, so, your global speed.

Trust me, SRS is a great amazing world to discover, and ARS as well. The players who insist to stay focused on one of the 2 systems lose a lot of interesting things..In both sides.

4. K

K

I completely agree on this point.

5. I've seen too many "guideline" games that hugely break the guideline to believe this. I think the rules are perhaps more flexible than we have been led to believe by Mihara. TGM4 can exist, and the main limiting factor is whether Japanese arcades would make it profitable.

Though the way some things have been said in the past, it sounds like THC/BPS/whatever has certain "flagship" versions that they ensure are extra polished to the guideline standard. So I'm thinking TDS/TGM/a few others are all held to a higher standard, possibly in anticipation of the upcoming tetris cup. But I still think there's room for TGM to survive.

But in the worst case, even the current TGM games can provide a lifetime of challenge. [​IMG]

6. Though it's a case of not practising what I preach all too well, I agree with what Amnesia says. In the long run I think you can only benefit from learning both ARS and SRS. I mean, there's no real reason why there should be tetlag if you become adept at both and get used to swapping.
    I would play with SRS more if it was supported in Texmaster, but other than that I have to go to Heboris, which I hate. There is Tetris Online though, which hopefully I'll get some free time to play it in soon.

7. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I believe this is also the reason why longtime exposure to random orientations can aid the player's versatility in the long run. Though I believe it's a great training idea (if not a gimmick like invisibilty, monochrome, etc.), it's not really something I'd prefer to use in standard play. Some players just prefer to specialize.

8. This topic wasn't really meant to be an SRS vs. ARS topic. I was just noticing that ARS gave me time after lock delay to look up at next tetromino, so when playing SRS I play a tad slower due to not having that time. This is the only tetlag I experience. The different starting orientations/kicks/etc. don't phase me. So I was just wondering if conquering this (always keeping an eye on the next tetromino so I can be ready in SRS) could help me with all Tetris games.

Perhaps I worded my first post poorly. I'm not looking to switch to SRS because it'll allow me to play faster than I can in ARS. I don't expect that playing SRS will magically make me a super fast player. I'm more wondering if it will be a better teacher of forcing me to keep an eye on the next tetrimino which lack of entry delay after hard drops makes necessary. I just want to improve that one area of my game, and boost my speed a little basically.

... I still feel there's room for misinterpretation of what I'm saying, but I'm going to post this anyway. Also, I do plan to play both. I was just curious what others thought about this.

(Since Digital made a post as I was about to post this): Digital, is there a game that feeds you random starting orientations? If so I'd like to try that as well.

9. Muf

Muf

Blocktrix.

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Perhaps you might want to change that train of thought. I generally do not associate ARE with ARS at all. You can also have ARE when playing with SRS. And if you think about it, the ARE in TGM games also decreases as you play (to a very small amount at the extreme end of 20G). The trouble you describe is just a difference of having or not having a delay to perform initial actions. Initial actions range from thought preparation to DAS charging, initial rotation, initial hold, and even initial movement for some. I'd hazard a guess that you're just not used to the finesse of ARE-less play. Give it some time. Playing without ARE can help develop your raw speed and consequently help when you do play with ARE. It's really just the same thing done faster.

I think it was TetriNET 2.

11. TetriNET in general (and Blocktrix and all it's clients) has random spawn orientations. As well as a 14-wide well and a few other slightly quirky things compared to the guideline games.

12. Twelve.

13. Fair enough. Thanks everyone. I'll look into Tetrinet.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Kasumi, in ARS or SRS, anyway, if you feel a problem in your "preview management", I think that you simply need a bit more of practice.
    Normaly, you should not feel a difference even if there is no ARE. During the moment where you place a tetrimino, you have to check in the same time the next piece(s).
    The ARE is not supposed to be a delay for the analysis of preview(s), the function is to prepare your DAS, HOLD or IRS, which means that you have already planed your next movement before.

15. Just wait till we have an ARS vs SRS style comp, than we will see which rotation system reins triumphant. [​IMG] Beats on which system I am guessing to win?

- Jono

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Of course my dear..
    I wait you on SHIRASE 300, ARS vs SRS with step reset.. [​IMG]