Online Multiplayer games?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Brainstormed, 3 Feb 2008.

1. Brainstormed

Brainstormed Unregistered

I tried Cultris today, and found it really really annoying because

1. The tetrominoes have the wrong color.

2. The Randomizer (randomizer lol wut?).

3. That sound when you are near to top out is mindbogglingly annoying.

4. No lock delay.

5. No ARE.

6. The Rotation System used is FUBAR.

So what alternatives are there for windows? I tried a forum search but got a lits of like every thread ever started [​IMG]

2. There is TNET but that game seems dead to me. I've seen one where you see who can clear the line the fastest but it has serious lag. TNET and Cultris are the only two games that are online that i know of, and all the TNET people seem to play Cultris now.

3. Altimor

Altimor a.k.a. Ghett0

Quadra's online. Try that.

4. I hear it is dead, that it got shut down by TTC.

5. Quadra may not be entirely suited to his needs. It also has non-standard piece colours and a memoryless randomizer. Also, the game play is very different because the way to succeed is by making cascades...

With TNET and derivatives (TNET2, TetriFast, and probably others) gone as well, there likely isn't anything worth trying. You could try using the netplay feature of certain emulators, but that may not be suitable...

6. i think no are is a good thing. faster better stronger.

7. There are no decent multiplayer Tetris games for PC. Tetris Online Japan was OK, but it's Japanese only, and you have to pay for it now.

Every other game has drawbacks, like Quadra's cascade gravity, and TetriNET's lack of a standard piece starting orientation.

There certainly aren't any out there that seem to mimic standard rotation systems and colours.

Really, the Tetris community is crying out for some sort of multiplayer Heboris or Lockjaw.

8. I've always felt that Cultris was a really good tetris multi player game. I see how people wouldn't like the rotation system but it's not really that bad if you use the default settings. I can go just as fast if not faster playing Cultris then if i were playing LockJaw. I think that if they changed the rotation system then it would be the ideal tetris game. Cultris 2 is supposed to come out soon, maybe it will be what people are looking for.

9. It's not so much the rotation system that annoys me but the combo system too.

And also the fact that it won't run on my PC [​IMG]

10. Muf

Muf

Nah, it's not dead, first of all, it's called BlockTrix now, and second of all, the server software is free to download, so anyone can run a server.

11. Rosti LFC says:

Ha, i have to play it on my brother's computer. It runs horribly on my own computer.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I don't think that the mechanics used in other games are necessarily wrong. They are just different and most of us here are used to something we call "standard". To the guys who play the other games, the mechanics we swear by may just look as incorrect. Truth be told, Tetris is only as correct as you make it.

13. I don't even get it to run horribly. I just get a load of OpenGL related errors.

14. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i used to think that until i tried DRS. why not have ARE that you can cancel as soon as you've told the piece where to go? i don't know, seems like a good system to me if you can find a useful place for each piece.

15. Brainstormed

The reason I dislike the lack of ARE in Cultris is because combined with no lock delay and the gradually faster falling speed of the blocks you can hardly take advantage of all of the well's height.

I guess the thing that distrubs me most with Cultris right now is that the S and Z pieces have 4 rotation states.

16. so does srs, brainstormed.

how do you cancel are in drs, jujube?

17. So does SRS, TDX, and any of the later BPS games...

18. Brainstormed

O.o

Ok...

I've been living in an ARS world [​IMG]

19. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Wrong in what sense? What is your reference?

Neither does Tetris DS.

What is FUBA Rotation?

As of 2008, new Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl are moving toward hiding even the nickname if you don't use friend codes, so it becomes nearly indistinguishable from playing against a CPU opponent. So I guess you can simulate online multiplayer in Lockjaw by turning on garbage.

It's not. I tried Tetramino for NES over Kaillera, and it was a lag-fest.

Cultris 2 isn't going to be a Dr. Mario clone with 4-block pills, is it?

20. Brainstormed

What I mean by "wrong" is what is not appealing to me. It might be "right" for others. Basicly I'm looking for a TGM multiplayer game, if that makes any sense...