Number Of Previews Used

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Shard, 27 Mar 2009.

1. Shard

Shard Unregistered

How many previews can you guys actually use? It does not count as using when you just glance to see if a T or I is coming. Basically I'm wondering how many pieces you guys can think ahead. How would you increase that number?

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I'm still working on mastering 3 (with the aid of hold). If you were to ask me how it all connects in my head, I'm not really sure how I would answer. Sometimes, I'm not even sure if I'm using all 3, but there's a noticeable hit to my performance if I take previews away. If you want to increase the amount of previews that you use, just play with them on as a habit. It'll slowly grow on you without you even realizing it. There's no conscious effort needed from my experience.

3. I use three. I don't "think ahead." I simply notice I'm better with three than I am with two, four, five, eight, etc.

4. 2 seems to be the magic number for LockJaw at the moment. 3 is too many and 1 is too few. I need to work on 3 previews again at some point, but I noticed the third one would slow me down slightly when I was playing LJ 40 Lines.

5. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i said 6, but i'm not really sure. i just said that because i've been playing a lot of TDS. the number you should use depends a lot on the mode you're playing. in just about any single player mode you'd probably be fine with no more than 3, and using more could slow you down.

in Tetris Online (Japan) you can unlock more previews as you earn xp, and you can gauge your progress as you unlock more. i seemed to do better as i unlocked more and more previews. as far as watching for an I or T, i think it matters a lot in multiplayer and it's something you might do consciously or not. it's just like watching for any other piece that you need to fill a certain hole. if you're planning far enough ahead and don't see the piece you would need, then you can avoid making the hole in the first place. often in single player you can stack on instinct, and you can make holes knowing that the piece you'll need is coming eventually. this strategy can help with your speed in modes like 40 lines, where hesitation is death.

6. I voted one. Very rarely do I look further ahead, though I know I should.

7. Reveillark

Reveillark Unregistered

I've been playing with two for LJ 40 lines for the longest time, and it feels so inexplicably right. I tend to mistake the third preview piece for the second one a LOT when playing with 3 on blokkendoos, and that gets really frustrating (Yeah I'm a scrub).

8. yup i use 3

i think that 1 is definitely not enough

2 is livable and most people can probably play with 2..

none feels like suicide to me

9. Definitely three.
    Since I started in heboris using three + hold, I still play best using three previews. That's why my TGM1 and TAP times are fairly slow even though I am capable of pushing over 2 tetrominoes/second - the one preview, no hold, no floorkicks business slows me down by a lot.