New Pajitnov interview

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 31 Oct 2007.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

the part where he's talking about tetris addiction is great.

"It is addiction. It was designed for this."

hahahaha i feel like part of a massive experiment.

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

[​IMG] ah!

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Tetris Zone has become the definitive tetris game. Hmm...agree or disagree?

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

as far as following the "Tetris Bible" i guess it is. i thought the beta version of TOJ was pretty good.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Either Mr. Pajitnov has not read a certain article on TC Wiki written by CT and myself, or there might be some sort of score wrapping specified by the Guideline that none of us has run into.

6. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

strongly disagree. I don't like any of the newer tetris games i've played; I like TGM, and Heboris I suppose. The only flaws I have with hebo is that alot of it is not-english, and you can't run it properly @ a high resolution.

*edit* I forgot to mention that heboris is FREE.

7. Heboris is also not a licensed Tetris game...

8. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

It doesn't matter if it's note licensed...

After trying Tetris Zone again, here is of thing I'd liek to point out (- for bad + for good, obviously my oppinion):

-no full screens

--no widescreen in fullscreen

-you can't rotate after an instant drop

-not 10 dollars worth

+tetris music (the da da da da)

+nice gfx

9. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i think you're forgetting that some people need to earn a living for their game designing, while others do it in their spare time and are under no time pressure. $10 seems reasonable enough to me for a commercial game.

i'd like to add a couple +'s for Tetris Zone:

+auto-updating online leaderboard

+you can watch replays of top games

+TETRiSMaster is beatable in master mode [​IMG]

10. Yes.. but Tetris Zone was so bad that I asked for (and got) my money back - it really wasn't worth $10.

11. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

I'd have to agree with schnappy and Lee N on this one - as a general rule of thumb, I believe that if someone can do something for free and do a better job than someone who's doing the same task with payment for motivation, the latter guy is slacking off. In other words, I see the best non-profit project as setting the bar for the bare minimum. If you want my money, you're going to have to outdo the guy who's not asking for money.

In this case, Hoshiken and the 2chan regulars who made Heboris did it without asking for anything in return. The creators of Tetris Zone did it for money, yet they didn't do as good of a job. Heck, I'd rather send Hoshiken ten bucks than buy Tetris Zone with the money.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

You can change the language to English. Also, how high a resolution are you trying to run it at?

13. schnappy

schnappy Unregistered

I understand the lanugage can be set to english, but I'm reffering to the configuration tool.

High resolution = max. It has problems though (very low fps on a machine that should be able to do it)

14. K

K

i respect pajitnov to be the initial creator of the tetris concept, but imo his carrer as game designer is a flaw.

15. This has to be the first time that the name of this website has been used in the forums without referring to the website.

16. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Configuration tool? Hmm, I'm not sure if you're playing on the expansion.

17. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

But does $10 include the price of the half gigabyte of RAM that the Windows version takes? That's my biggest beef with the product, as my Dell PC still doesn't meet the RAM requirement to run Tetris Zone even after tripling the amount since I bought the PC in fall 2000 (from 128 MiB to 384 MiB).

Look at the copyright screen of the NES and Super NES Tetris games published by Nintendo.

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

but didn't Heboris attempt to emulate Arika tetris gameplay? i don't think anyone involved with the game was setting the bar. it would be a little more fair i think to compare Arika and BPS in terms of what they've done with the game. and yeah, everyone who worked on Heboris did a tremendous job. we were lucky to get it for free.

19. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Buddy its time to upgrade. Ram is gonna help alot more then just tetris.