New/Original NES Controllers. (Any good retros?)

Thread in 'Hardware' started by boblaze, 29 Jun 2014.

1. Wondering if anyone knew where one could pick up new original NES controllers. There are only a few left on eBay and the prices are ridiculous.

I know the retro issued ones are sort of shitty for Tetris, has anyone tried any newer versions that seem to be stacking up to the original controllers?

2. Sort of tenuously related, do you think people would be OK with using SNES controllers? Those seem to hold up a bit better and it's really easy to make SNES -> NES converters out of controller extension cables. SNES buttons Y/B map to NES B/A (kind of like how in Super Mario World run is Y and jump is B, if that makes sense).

I also know that bunnyboy was experimenting with making microswitched NES controllers. The feeling would be completely different, but it sounds like that could be a very responsive and consistent alternative to hunting down NOS or "like new" original controllers.

3. SNES controllers are much more comfortable too... I'd be interested in a microswitched NES controller, though :D

I've repaired NES controllers, with moderate success, using those 3rd party rubber replacement parts... But I finally broke down and bought an OEM new old stock controller, and the difference is night and day. Repaired controllers are certainly serviceable, though.

4. For what it's worth, I've tried a couple sellers of "new" OEM controllers. I've had good luck with one of the sellers, but the other's claim about "brand new OEM" was trash. I opened the damned thing up after it was acting all janky at MGC and the pads were repros, on top of whatever else may have actually happened to that controller before I got it. Anyway, my luck refurbishing has also been spotty, so I'm becoming convinced there is no good answer. :confused:

5. believe it or not swap meets and flea markets are gold mines for controllers. whenever i need new one or some new parts i find at least two dozen and buy them all for less than $20 bucks for them. you can negotiate the prices and buy the whole lot. i just have a box of 30 or so controllers and various parts sitting in the basement now as a consequence too, so if you end up not being able to find one i can ship you one.

6. the other, more expensive option is game trader-like stores that sell thm for around $7-10 each.

7. I think original controllers/parts are the way to go. A good cleaning also goes a long way.

I've bought refurbished controllers from Nintendo Repair Shop but I don't recommend it. Reproduction pads don't feel the same, in my opinion, and I was getting either phantom presses or buttons that just plain didn't work.

To echo what has already been said - if you buy some old controllers and take them apart/clean them up, you should definitely find some pads that are not torn (usually the biggest culprit of funky controllers) - and you should be able to piece together one solid controller. There are a bunch of YouTube tutorials for taking apart/cleaning controllers - but just holler if you need help.

8. I never knew I wanted this until I heard about it. I really, really want this.