Long Road to GM

Thread in 'Discussion' started by nicofromtokyo, 2 Oct 2011.

1. I would like to collect here some data to get an average of the time needed to become M/GM in TGM-TAP. I know everybody has a different life/schedule/free hours to spend/waste on Tetris, but I'd like to know if it's possible to fix some "official" time periods.

So how long did it take you honestly to become:

-GM at TGM.
    -M at TAP Master.
    -GM at TAP Master.
    -M at TAP Death.
    -GM at TAP Death.

The aim of this thread is not to find out who's got the biggest, but to collect as much as possible data to get closer to something relevant. Of course, if you know approximately how many hours you spent to get these grades, the better it is :) .

Regarding TGM, I would tend to think the fastest you can become GM is 5-6 months, with an average of 10 months while training on a regular basis.

Share your experience !

2. Ai

Ai

I started playing TGM 05-01-2008

- 05-17-2009 (just a little over a year)
    - not yet achieved
    - not yet achieved
    - 02-27-2011
    - not yet achieved

It takes about a year or more for most dedicated players to get Gm. There is however an increasing number of players who have done it in about 6 months or less. Edo was able to get Gm in TGM after only a month of play.

You might also want to have a look at this thread which is a little similar. And here's some data from the tetrisconcept community concerning TGM that was gathered by colour_thief. Someone should have kept track of these stats. It will be a real pain now to try and continue this tradition. ^^

EDIT:

I read your post again and noticed your timeframes to get GM in TGM are about the same as what I think. Concerning the amount of hours played to get Gm in TGM, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than 300 hours in my case. Once I got serious about T.A. Death m it took me a little more than 2 months and probably close to 100 hours. I'd say I easily played twice as much since I started playing. ^^

Last edited: 2 Oct 2011
  3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I have a good data base on this..;)
    So, mines are :

-GM at TGM : April 2005*
    -M at TAP Master : mid december 2007
    -GM at TAP Master : fuck you ok ?!
    -M at TAP Death : Mars 2007
    -GM at TAP Death : Sepember 2010

*When I started on TGM1 I was able to pass often 300 lines on Tetris & D Mario. I also played a lot on a tetris on GBA which had a 20G fast mode. Ah ! Super tetris 3 also has a 20G. So I have not started TGM as a virgin... The first or second day on TGM1 I had S6, that I kept for a few weeks, then I got S8 directly then GM. I had started in Dec 2004 so it took me 5 months I would say to get GM.

Here Kan's info :

4. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I wanted to PM you this but I can't, you desactivated PM it seems.

[​IMG]

One day I will update it.

5. It's hard for me to say. I started with NDS_TGM on the day the actual events for the 2008 Beijing summer olympics started. (Sometime in early August 200B)

I reached 999 in NDS_TGM for the first time on Thanksgiving Day that same year. (November 27, 200B) 999 in NDS_TGM master is faster than TGM1, but easier because of hold piece and the extra kicks.

But I'm pretty confident if I had played only TGM1 during the time I played NDS_TGM, I could have got GM in a month or two more than the same amount of time it took to reach 999 in NDS_TGM (3 months). I only ACTUALLY got my GM in TGM1 this year, though, so take from that what you will. I've probably played fewer than 50 games of TGM1 ever, though.

But I played a LOT during this time. I have 422 hours logged on NDS_TGM. That's 140 hours a year for the years I've been playing. That's nearly SIX CONSECUTIVE DAYS spent each year playing nothing but Tetris. I even lost a bunch of hours in the log because my flash card was corrupted, and I had to restore a backup of the save file from months ago.

That's about as helpful as I can be, as someone who rarely plays the official games.

6. Ow, perfect ! I will try to do an average with all these informations, thank you :)

I will ask the Masters' players too when I have the opportunity these next months (another Magic tourny the same day on October :p). Last time I asked Koo, he answered me 6 months, but most of the other guys like SQR started playing the GM series with TAP, so it only took them like 2-3 days to become GM on TGM. Not very relevant :D.

How TF can it be humanly possible when majority of the best players in the world need 5-6 months ??? :o

7. see my signature :)

8. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Reminded me some bad memories here, with stupid people who think that training the m roll is enough to become a GM, when I read TWF and K in this thread, I can see a good example of what could make me leave this community like colour_thief.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I think that Edo had already a srong experience in a few SEGA Tetris, which is a rare old game based on ARS.

10. I started training 20g in Dec 2010. Got the GM for TGM1 in Apr 2011 and M in Death in July 2011. Road to GM is veeeeery long.

11. You may be interested in some more data.

Here are my statistics:
    TGM1 GM - ~5 1/2 months (It's fuzzy as I had dabbled in TGM before that, but my period of serious play started around May 2007 and resulted in GM in November. So, it is somewhere from 6~8 months depending on how you count things.)
    TAP Death M - ~1 year 1 month (Jun. 25, 2008 in Texmaster, and a couple months later for MAME)
    TAP Master M - ~2 1/2 years (Dec. 06, 2009)
    TAP Master GM - ~2 1/2 years + 1 day (Dec. 07, 2009 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ )
    TAP Death GM - ~4 years (April 05, 2011)

You can see Death mode jerked me around for quite a bit longer. I had my first near-miss in November 2009 (Death 949) and had another in April 2010 (Death 980), but I didn't clinch it until this year.

12. Okay, next question... ! How long does it take you to get your 2ND GM grade after the first ?

13. Ok, let me reconstruct...
    Discovered Texmaster and #tetrisconcept at Dec 01 2009 after having played 2-4 weeks of GB tetris and NES tetris. From that point on played Death exclusively.

TGM1 Gm - Jun 15 2010 (played in Texmaster actually, but whatever :p)
    Texmaster Sudden M - Apr 23 2010
    TAP Death M - May 15 2010

A few weeks ago I managed to get a 9:00 TAP Master clear, as well as 2:34 in Shirase. Can't tell if I ever wanna get the rest anymore.

Repeating stuff like this is a bitch. I don't remember my second TGM1 GM, but getting another Death M took like forever.

14. No no no, it's not me, just a guy with my name who didn't sleep the previous night of his first tournament, the one he trained for like 10 months, with the best players of the world fixing him for 3 loooooong minutes behind him... Hey, look, he didn't even clear the Lvl.300 torikan, shame on him !

PS: blargh.

15. Awh, poor Nico. Let's go better next time, ok? :)

Must have been nerve wracking in company of such strong players! Good on ya for giving it a shot. :D

16. Exactly! You are now one of the players I watch videos of weekly. I have much respect for the path you have chosen, keep this up!

17. K

K

ah ah, don't worry, it happen sometime !:p
    just being there is an incredible experience, no matter your level is.

18. 2nd GM @ 13:17:76 ! Slower than the 1st but much more points (131575 compared to 126201).

I am still playing on MAME with my HRAP, but I absolutly want to get the grade on PCB, so I am spending like bunch of hours in PIER21, the game center where the best players of the world gather. 3 hours spent yesterday, but I am finding the game slightly more difficult than on my PC... The levers are heavier, and I am wondering if the real game is not slightly faster than MAME... Does someone have boths and can compare with details the differences between the PCB and the MAME versions ?

Anyway, I can reach Lvl.500 with S4 and do more than 600 in 20G, but still didn't get the grade in real life. Wondering if I'm not going to buy it...

19. The mame version is VERY different from the pcb.
    You need a lot of training to adapt but once it's done, a game played the same way on both support will be 20 seconds faster on the pcb ^^
    For instance, it's a pain in the arse for me to get sub 10min10 20G Gm on mame. It's rather easy on the pcb. (well, not now since I haven't played the game for two months lol)
    I suggest you start playing TGM2 on your computer and play TGM1 only at the arcade since you are lucky enough to be able to do so.
    Another good point is that, since you have to pay for every single game, you'll pay much more attention to your stack and increase your consistency. The worst about playing on mame is that you know you can press F3 at the first difficulty, which really doesn't help in improving your stacking skills ^^