Lockjaw plays no music

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Thephantomtetris, 24 Dec 2010.

1. Hi, i'm new to the forums and "skinning".

I recently made a custom lockjaw skin. It is this:
    baseX=200
    bgcolor=#6D6E93
    bgm=Skins/Marble Squirls Skin/bgm for lockjaw
    bgmLoopPoint=
    bgmReadyGo=0
    bgmRhythm=Skins/Marble Squirls Skin/bgm for lockjaw
    bgmVolume=128
    blkH=24
    blkW=24
    color=#F3F3F7
    hilitecolor=#5C5E7C
    ljbg=Skins/Marble Squirls Skin/Marble Squirls.jpg
    ljblocksSega=Skins/Marble Squirls Skin/Marble Squirls Blue Locked

Blocks.bmp
    ljblocksSRS=Skins/Marble Squirls Skin/Marble Squirls Blue Locked Blocks.bmp
    ljconnSega=
    ljconnSRS=
    nextPos=0
    pfbgcolor=#6D6E93
    pfcolor=#F3F3F7
    shiftScale=1
    transparentPF=0
    wndH=600
    wndW=800

it all works, except one ting: THERE IS NO MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have tried everything I can but it still doesn't work. This is actually a modified version of one of rich nagel's "marble squirls" skins, so everything I need is included.

Oh, btw the music is an ogg vorbis file, which plays with vlc.

2. I have absolutely no experience with making LockJaw skins, but from looking through the folders I have it seems that all the current music is in .s3m format.

It doesn't matter if what you're trying to use as music is a functioning music file or not, my bet would be that it won't work unless it's a .s3m file. It might be a perfectly fine Vorbis track, but that's useless if LJ doesn't support Vorbis files and can't decode it.

If you can find working skins that use bgm files that aren't .s3m then my line of thinking fails, but if not I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

3. You can use ogg files as long as the skin file has the correct file name, I've done it before. However, I don't have LJ on hand so I can't really help you with it all that much right now.

My guess is that since you don't have the right file name in the bgm and bgmRhythm parts of the config file, it's not loading it at all. Try appending .ogg to the end of the filenames and see if that works.

4. @Zircean I tried that just then. there was a crackle at first but then nothing for the other two minutes or however long it took me. I have tried pretty much all that stuff, like putting C drive, no C drive, .ogg, no .ogg, etc. and it still doesn't work.

5. Well, here's what my skin.ini looks like:

ljblocksSRS=ljblocks.bmp
    ljblocksSega=ljblocks.bmp
    ljconnSRS=ljconn.bmp
    ljconnSega=ljconn.bmp
    color=#000000
    bgcolor=#FFFFFF
    hilitecolor=#CCFFFF
    pfcolor=#000000
    pfbgcolor=#FFCCCC
    ljbg=ljbg.jpg
    bgm=underground.ogg

so I guess it works to some extent... I also have the music file in the root Lockjaw folder. Your mileage may vary.

6. I always make it a point not to put spaces in filenames. When it comes to skinning things, or modding, you never know how a file will interpret a space. Some see it as an underscore, some don't recognize them at all, my recommendation would be to rename your audio file musicforlockjaw.ogg, and then change the code to match it.

Best of luck.

7. @jimtopia I tried that, renamed all my files, didn't work, so i also renamed all of my folders and that ddn't work either. I'm afraid that my lockjaw may be screwed, sadly.