Leaderboard Updates

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 13 Jun 2008.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I know that there is no place for me as a moderator, but at least if it was possible to give me a "semi moderator" statut, I could update every leaderboards properly, and more than once per weeks..

Also, I would like make you notice that the Records forum begin to be a mess, with now 2 pages, there is almost 10% of the threads which should be removed, because its are totaly abandonned or intregrated in another leaderboard more general..(example : texmaster)

It was just some notices from an old member.. [​IMG]

2. I don't see a problem. Old inactive leaderboard shift to the bottom of the pages, out of sight. No real difference to if they were deleted or merged with other ones.

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I agree with Rosti in that inactive boards do not pose a problem since they bury themselves. There's also an advantage to keeping them if there is future interest. In the case of duplicate leaderboards, the old one can be locked for archival and historical purposes.

As for creating a separate group for monitoring the Records section, I think this will need to be discussed among the mods.

4. How would being given mod powers help update the record threads? Do you mean updating other author's first posts? If you ask me, the thread and its rules and records should be handled at the authors discretion without mod interference. If you think the author has made a mistake, then just PM him or mention it in the thread.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

[​IMG]
    There was no need to create this topic DIGITAL..(I suppose it is you..)

Tetris is a game of organization, and the organization of this forum is too much "babacool" for me..I can't support this mess with so many useless leaderboards..

If I was a moderator, I would reorganize it very clean and optimized..

But it doesn't matter, c_t explained me during the meeting why caffeine will never let me become a moderator..

I wished that one day, one french player could become a responsable person of this forum..

So I don't care now..The messing of the Record section doesn't prevent me to sleep.. [​IMG]

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

well, just remember Amnesia: you can't spell "babacool" without "cool"

[​IMG]
    those are his leaderboards behind him.

7. Yes, he means editing first posts. 99% of my moderating is, in fact, editing first posts to update records. There's only so much 1 person can do, so the more people actively editing the healthier the thread. Right now I edit all TGM scoreboards, and DIGITAL has just started editing all TGM clone scoreboards. I think at least 2 people intending to update a thread (right now the topic creator + a moderator) is ideal, and more would be better.

You could totally make Amnesia a moderator with the understanding that he will only be updating records threads, and never using other moderator powers. We don't need him because we need more moderation per say, it would just be a practical decision that would keep competition healthy. It's totally your decision and not the end of the world, but I don't see any good reasons to not make him a moderator.

8. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Or we can implement least privilege. The administrators of forum.gbadev.org have given me moderator privileges on most but not all forums. So perhaps making someone a mod only in Records might limit the damage that he can do.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Sure this is not what I want, I don't want to manage people, banish them, move or remove topics, delete posts, etc..and I am useless for web informatic..

Thx very much for you support c_t, but I don't want that caffeine feels himself forced to do it..He is the creator of TC, and the final decision belong to him..

After all, I just need to advert you or DIGITAL if something goes wrong on a leaderboard, like yesterday with the sudden and special leaderboard..I still control a big proportion of the most important leaderboards.. [​IMG]

10. tepples

Managing and blocking users is something admins do, not mods.

11. jujube

jujube Unregistered

as long as everyone has a voice concerning how records should be sorted, and whether or not certain records are legit (like when an experimental version of a game is being used), i don't really care who does what. i can only recall a handful of times since i've been here that a records thread has been abandoned or not updated frequently enough. if that's not good enough then i guess we need more mods or the current mods to do more, but it seems to me like these problems don't occur very often. again though, i really don't care as long as we're still listening to each other and making compromises.

12. You guys have been updating other people's record threads? That's not right. You might as well make a wiki for records going by your logic.

13. I don't see what is wrong with trusted moderators editing threads. The only reason I'd be against wiki leaderboards, despite the potential for far better presentation, would be the lack of any form of notification that there has been an improvement. It's good to be able to congratulate people for GM, M ranks or whatever, rather than just noticing them on the leaderboard.

It'd also put the honour system to a bit more of a test if people could simply update their own leaderboards.

But I don't see what is wrong with moderators updating scores. It's not particularly difficult, nor is there any real debate over it. People submit scores, and except for exceptional cases, those scores go on the leaderboad. I think if there's suspicion of cheating, it's down to the community as a whole to decide over it, and not the individual thread creators anyway.

If people can update their own records, (as would happen with the wiki) I'd be unsure, but I'm perfectly happy for colour_thief and Digital and the like to do it, because I trust them completely, as I think most people here do. That's why they have the moderator status.

14. tepples

This looks like a job for a Wiki-Wiki-Watchlist, no?

It's no harder to lie in a forum post than to lie on a wiki page. If you feel a need to provide evidence of your own accomplishments, you can upload your screenshot or LJM or whatever to the wiki. If you vandalize someone else's accomplishments, that's what a wiki page's revision history is for.

15. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I also don't mind if any of the admins, or mods (i do not know how many of each there is) edit my leaderboard. I don't see anything wrong with it.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

About this point I think I can speak, in term of responsability about the risk that somebody lies, I have been the 1st here who cried for Ghetto :

"hey this video is a fake I am sure...there is no way I accept it.."

I am very very focused on that..I am continualy analysing the video of everybody here..Even yours Rosti.. [​IMG]

17. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

I think that there could be a system in which the mods help out with updating the leaderboards if they wish. I do think however, what that do get posted and the ones that don't should be up to the creator not the mod.

18. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Yes, but only when the author has not been updating for awhile. It especially becomes necessary if the author disappears. I prefer to not actively intervene unless I have permission.

19. I trust pretty much all the active and old members here to not be cheating. Especially those who I've personally played against.

I either provide videos or nothing at all though. I'd like to think that my scores are trusted to be genuine, and I give videos when I think the run is good enough to be put on YouTube.

Ghett0 was an exception. New member, insane rate of improvement, had a bad history. He was annoying outside of the records too.