L-block is winning gamefaqs's 6th annual character contest

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 4 Nov 2007.

1. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I have to admit, I didn't even expect it to be nominated into the bracket at first. And even when it was, I was still skeptical of it travelling very far. Look at it now. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

Am I the only one that's continually irked by the fact that their pictures often have a non-orange L block, and occasionally a J?

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

that's a little ignorant on their part [​IMG]

4. My dream finals:

L-Block VS Sephiroth VS Bidoof VS John Cena

Yeah, I know, one of those characters shouldn't be there. Too bad, FF7 fanboys...

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

A lot of players who consider infinite spin to be a game-breaker have placed Tetris products from 2001 and later into their discontinuity. The last North American Tetris games prior to Tetris Worlds used the TNT colors, including magenta L.

Unless someone's playing Blockout or Geom Cube. Or unless someone is confusing the pieces' names based on their SRS initial stances:

Code:
      %
     ___%%%____
    |     |
    |     |
    :     :

Someone unfamiliar with the tetrominoes' official letter names might think this is shaped like a short and wide letter L. Twice I saw someone edit the description of Wikipedia's copy of the I, J, L, O pic from Lockjaw's manual to say I, L, J, O.

But I screwed up registering on GameFAQs years ago; I can't get it to send a confirmation e-mail address. Are these pics available to unregistered users?

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

[​IMG]
    it's definitely a J piece. a yellow J piece.

7. It's now in the final, and I am reminded of something that was said in IRC yesterday:

<@colour_thief> link and cloud and solid snake will split votes with poeple who actually care about the poll, leaving L block to win in a landslide

The only sad thing is that I don't think it will have a major effect on the contect, as the top 50 (and others) have all picked Link to win, and he's likely to come second...

I actually think that L was the best overall choice of the 7, because it's probably the easiest to place and use. T is possibly slightly easier, but may have received some backlash because of T-spins (and in particular the T-spin triple). I is even easier to place, but would never have made it past the first round because it never fucking appears when you want it to...

L ix useful. L is unassuming. L is winning this contest...

8. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The prophecy is true! L-block is going to win. w00t! [​IMG]

9. yeah right now L is winning, but it's too early to say it's in the bag (as in it's going to win, not the random piece bag).

edit:

[​IMG]
    how do you mess this up?

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I don't think it's too early. The number of votes have already passed the climax point. From now on, it seems the votes will only climb slowly with no dramatic spikes.

11. i dunno, yesterday snake made a big jump later in the day. and link's really not that far behind.

12. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Cloud's not going to get any Nintendo fanboy votes because of the three, only Cloud has never appeared in a game on Nintendo platform. Among the other three:

All have been in two NES games each (LoZ and Zelda II; Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge; Tet?is and Tetris). All have been on Wii (Link in Twilight Princess, Brawl, and several Virtual Console games; Snake in Brawl) or DS (Link in Phantom Hourglass and Tetris DS; L in Tetris DS) or both.

13. The L-block won. ROFLMAO.

The bonus round is hilarious as well; no organic lifeforms! (Well, one may be able to speak and threaten to kill you. Maybe. Or maybe not.)

14. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Heh, congrats to the L block. Too bad the ? block mopped the floor with it in the bonus round, but I guess that's to be expected.

15. jujube

jujube Unregistered

16. And it's only leading Ryu by 84 votes!!!! Come on everybody, show some love for the L-block and cast your vote!!!!!!!!!!!

17. jujube

jujube Unregistered

it looks like the top two will advance to the next round, so i went back and voted for the duck hunt dog. L-block is in good shape to advance anyway.

it makes sense that L was nominated again. everyone hates S and Z, and I is never there when you really need it. that just leaves J, L, and T, but T would be an iffy choice because of all the T-spin haters out there.

edit: i forgot about O. but who cares about O. it doesn't do anything.

18. O is my least favourite piece. It's very rarely useful and more often forces me to make holes.

At least the L is actually an L this time, not like last year when it was a J.

19. jujube

jujube Unregistered

[​IMG] yeah that was weak.