Korobeiniki is a trademark of Tetris Holding

Thread in 'Discussion' started by tepples, 19 Jun 2007.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

WTF? USPTO web site claims that Tetris Holding is trying to register Korobeiniki as a trademark for computer and video game software.

That said, does the Bombliss trademark mean BPS is going to bring back Bombliss (which you may know as Tetris Blast)?

And what the heck is Evolit by Tetris S.A.?

2. maybe one of our many french members can help you find out what tetris s.a. means.

and i think you mean sound mark. different rules apply, i'd suspect. their lawyer wouldn't be that daring.

3. tepples

Sound trademark on Wikipedia claims that Harlem Globetrotters managed to register "Sweet Georgia Brown" as a trademark, as did THX with its slowed down version of the Super Mario World keyhole sound effect.

4. ?

5. tepples

6. I know what they sound like, but what you said before seemed like you were saying that Deep Note was a ripoff of a sound effect in a game that came out 7 years later.

7. Given that they've metioned that having a pit that's taller than wide is a "trademark" of tetris (ignoring the existence of PdP, Puyo, and even Columns ffs), so I think that they would be that daring...

Edit: Google found this for

8. Isn't that an old folk tune ? I mean, has someone ever tried to copyright the "Happy Birthday" song ?

9. tepples

Yes, but if the USPTO reverses its non-final rejection, Tetris Holding may now own the exclusive right to use it in the United States as the theme song of a computer puzzle game. It's not the mark itself that is protected but the association of a mark with a product or service.

Yes. The song in its final form was first published on or after 1923 and is therefore subject to the Sonny Bono perpetual copyright scheme in the United States.

kotetsu213: TWAJS. But in Russia, sound effect knocks off YOU!

10. Doesn't Michael Jackson currently "own" it?

11. K

K

12. tepples

However, a trademark is not a copyright. Dastar v. Fox does limit the scope of Tetris Holding's exclusive rights under trademark law. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say how.

13. tepples

14. Zeta

Zeta Unregistered

we (as in, the StepMix 2 judging team over at StepMania.com) had an argument over the usage of a rock-style remix of Korobeiniki in StepMix 2 (specifically about the "song permission" requirement on all submissions). the ruling on it was that it was permitted since the original song itself is Public Domain. (it's an old Russian (I think) folk song, memory serving correctly.)

of course, we also caught word (albiet a bit late) that one of the submitters stole someone else's artwork for their entry, but that's starting to get OT.

15. tepples

What exactly do you mean by "free"? Do you mean the Wikimedia Commons sort of free?

I can use modplug+audacity+oggdropxpd to make ogg files from some of my s3m files:
    • Protest mix without the "FLAG"
    • Minimalist mix used in Lockjaw for DS
    • Rhythm mode music used in Lockjaw for PC
    • Hidden track in TOD source code, released as a bonus track in TOD GSF
    Unfortunately, I can't release Three 6 Mafia's work under a free license, so you won't get the mix from Tetris is ridin' spinnaz.

16. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

I actually emailed the guy to ask. I'm not sure, but i think those mp3s are for personal use only.

I'm attempting to clarify.

17. @tepples: yes, "creative commons" (attribution ..) would be safest.
    regarding your songs: i will come back to you if i have more time, i am currently under some workload, so no time for cubestorm.

@zaphod77: wich guy did you emailed ? those from www.barynya.com ? or is your post related to a more previous post ?

18. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Yes, I meant barynya.com

last thing the guy said was "what song are you interested in?"

still awaiting a reply.