jujube's domino-tromino game concept

Thread in 'Other games' started by tepples, 21 Dec 2006.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

"Next eight dominoes"? All dominoes are the same under one-sided shifting and rotation.

Something like this would probably need a model to represent falling pieces similar to that used by Tetris 2 for hinged tetrominoes.

That said, an alternate rotation scheme would free up a few buttons:

Rotate Left: Rotate domino around tromino clockwise, with autorepeat

Rotate Right: Rotate domino around tromino counterclockwise, with autorepeat

Rotating the domino would try to rotate it about the block touching the tromino unless it would detach, in which case it rotates the opposite way about the other block.

The 18 states of a domino around an L tromino oriented "L" (the others being J, 7, and Gamma):

Code:
            D
       D DD D DD D
     TDD TD T  T  T DT DDT DT  T  T
     TT TT TT TT TT TT TT DTT DDTT DTT
                          D

T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T D
     TT TT TT TT TT TTD TTDD TTD
    DD  D  DD  D  DD  D
       D     D

The 20 states of a domino around an I tromino oriented vertically (the other being horizontally):
    Code:
                 D
             D DD D DD D
     T  TD TDD TD T  T  T DT DDT DT 
     TDD TD T  T  T  T  T  T  T DT 
     T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T

T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  T
    DDT DT  T  T  T  T  T  T  T  TD
     T DT DDT DT  T  T  T  TD TDD TD
            D  DD  D  DD  D
                 D

Even cooler would be using the DS touch screen to rotate the domino as if it were an iPod touch wheel.

(thinks a little more)

Wouldn't players just make everything into P and Q (reverse P) pentominoes, which pack more easily?

2. Posting only to mention that Sega Tetris (the NAOMI one) made the player combine 2 pieces before placing them, which is sort of like this. There is a Dreamcast port and all Dreamcasts can easily play imports unmodified.

3. jujube

jujube Unregistered

Cool ct working on some illustrations maybe they'll be similar to what you're talking about.

4. jujube

jujube Unregistered

Tepples thanks for visualization. I made a picture of some pieces but don't know where to put them [​IMG] How do I upload a jpeg to a post? Is there a way? I'll check back in a few hours.

5. jujube

jujube Unregistered

/"Next eight dominoes"? All dominoes are the same under one-sided shifting and rotation. \

I was thinking about color coding the dominoes like dr. mario pieces. You would then be able to predict how the dom and tri would spawn together. Maybe the dom would be made of two differently colored blocks and one or both colors would match the tri that it will spawn with. A colored outline around the dom could tell you which side of the tri the dom would appear on. Hopefully I can get my pic up.

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Click "wiki".

7. jujube

jujube Unregistered

I'm [​IMG] still don't know. Tepples do you mean create a page on the wiki?

8. jujube

jujube Unregistered

Don't have much time now to create pieces so I threw some together quickly. The dominoes are supposed to have an outline (up left-yellow,mid left-pink,bot left-purple) that tells you how it will spawn with the triminoe on the opposite side. In the middle is the resulting pentamino.

yellow=connect on right side of tri

pink=connect on left

purple=connect on bottom

Just throwing ideas around, but thought colors should match on first piece. Second ex. blues match and the red-green mismatch determines rotation of domino. Third ex. (hard to see purple outline) browns match and purple determines side of connection.

I'm leaving the colors random, maybe someone could suggest colors that would be appealing to the tet mind. I looked on the wiki and didn't see dominoes with outlines so I'll try and make a page this weekend if I have time. Any suggestions about colors, spawning, randomizer etc. would be much appreciated. [​IMG]

9. he means you can upload a picture using the wiki. click wiki, register, click upload (on the left).

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

[​IMG] OK I'll make some better pics and have them up soon [​IMG]

11. Or, you know, use imageshack or any number of alternatives.