Is this stick any good?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by sjoecool1991, 19 Jan 2008.

1. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-1i- ... -22b8.html

Because I am thinking about buying it.

What I am gonna do is system restore the old computer.

Then get MAME and about 300 games, Stepmania with about 5K songs, a huge amount of STGs, and a bunch of other roms/emulators.

So I want an arcade stick, to play arcade games, with good buttons to play stepmania on.

2. From play-asia, and for that price, I'd seriously consider a VSHG. It wouldn't be that much more.

However, I do not know how that stick would compare.

3. Saulabi use Korean "Fanta" sticks and they are of much lower quality than the Japanese brands Sanwa or Seimitsu. Fanta doesn't even have a restrictor.

Here are two pictures of different Fanta sticks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compare that to a Sanwa stick and you can definitely see that there's a difference in build quality:

[​IMG]

Granted, I haven't tried a Fanta stick.. but the lack of a restrictor makes me wonder if it's something I'd like to play with at all.

4. I agree, the lack of 4-way restriction makes it significantly undesireable for Tetris. If you'll mostly be playing non-Tetris games with it, it might still be ok for you, but otherwise it's worth the price difference for something better.

5. The fact that they're only using 1 screw for each of the microswitches (the top picture in particular) makes me question the Fanta sticks all together though.

Who in their right mind would do that? Won't be long until the switches start rotating out of position.

6. Ah, but that would never drift out of place suddenly if it was tight. All sticks need maintenance, that would just need a bit more. And to make it a feature: Because of the 1 screw design you can manually adjust the deadzone to your taste.

7. Suddenly? No, but it's all the worse if it happens over time.. you might not even notice it until they're way off.

Anyway, the lack of a restrictor makes this a no-go for Tetris - just as you said.

8. yeah that's not really a tetris stick. Most people I know buy it and mod it with happ parts although you may be able to put a 4 way wico stick in there. But then again for the shipping price from playasia it's not worth it. If someone wants to build a really bargain basement stick with arcade parts they should ask x-arcade to sell them a blank box, throw in a happ super stick or wico stick and happ competition buttons. If you have a spare PCB lying around and some soldering knowledge you could make it for like 50-60 bucks.

EDIT:

Also forgot to mention the Street Fighter Anniversary stick. If you're luck you can find one cheap on ebay/craigslist/gamestores/trading forums. They're really easy to mod with happ parts. I got one and modded it with a happ competition stick and buttons for only 60 bucks. I sold mine but sometimes I wish I kept it for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 =(

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z58/ ... C04462.jpg

9. Ok, since that is not a very good stick, and I don't want to spend money on an X Arcade.

Anyone want to supple me with some links to better sticks?

10. BAM

It's a bit pricey, but probably one of the best without making a custom one.

11. I think your best options are either SEGA's Virtua Stick High Grade (VSHG for short) or Hori's Real Arcade Pro 3 (HRAP3 for short).

Personally I've been using the VSHG more or less every day for some 7 months now and I'm extremely pleased with it. It's the only stick I can wholeheartedly recommend to people, but the HRAP3 should be of equal quality considering that they both use standardized arcade equipment from Sanwa.

These high quality sticks are a bit expensive, and unfortunately the cheaper sticks are not as good. They might look like the same thing at first glance, but you can definitely tell the difference when you're playing with them - not to mention if you open them to look at the internal parts.

12. Btw, there has to be at least 10 of us who have the VSHG on this forum by now, so people who will vouch for this stick aren't exactly in short supply around here. [​IMG]

13. Will it work for the PC with JoytoKey?

Do I have to get an adaptor, or is it already USB?

PS: is that a Dodonpachi Avatar? Or is it just me?

14. Yes.

Already USB [​IMG] . I'm glad all those next-gen console have standardized connections [​IMG] .

15. Awesome!

My birthday is in 10 days, so Ill ask for that! lol.

16. You are correct. It's the Type-A ship from DDP. I barely even play it any more, and it isn't Tetris-related (though quite a few people here play shmups). I keep it because I just like it as a picture.

Well noticed [​IMG]

17. I love shmups, especially the Touhou series.

thats part of the reason I am getting an arcade stick.

Shmups.

PS: there needs to be a general gaming section here.

PPS: another reason I want to do this is because I have been following updates on a site where someone is trying to dump TGM3 and Mushihimesama PCB to make roms.

I hope he succeeds.

18. If you're talking about this joe, that's more wishful thinking than an active effort. And even games that get crossed off that list aren't necessarily made public right away. For example, Ibara has been crossed off for a while.

19. I play the Touhou Project games (even the non-shmup ones), but I'm limited in that they tend to suffer from slowdown on my PC, which invalidates my highscore somewhat.

As a result, I play DoDonPachi, Guwange and Esp Ra.De. more, because they run smoothly.

20. Non tetris related, but related to this topic. I'm thinking about buying a WSHG, but i don't want it only to play a game of tetris on my pc. The PS3 seems to be non region free with PS2 titles, so no shmups with the VSHG that way, but i cannot really confirm that info, neither can i find info if the WSHG works on a PS2. If it does i can still play shmups on my mod-chipped PS2. In NL this stick isn't sold, so i have to use play-asia and the shipping costs total it to mote then 90 euro ($135). They do sell the Hori Fighting Stick 3 for 60 euro ($85) in my town, but same implies, will i be able to play more then a pc emulated game of TGM with it. Otherwise i personally think it's too expensive for the use of one game, no matter how much i like that game ...