Is this SRS?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Quad, 10 Feb 2008.

1. I've tried implementing SRS in my Tetris game. It started with only ARS rotations but now I've added an SRS mode which may be enabled through ingame menus.

I'm not used to SRS and I would like a second opinion from someone who can verify if this is SRS, and if there is something wrong.

Here is the download of the latest version: http://download.llbit.se/download.php?file=L2Stack

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

If you ask me, it's a huge pain in the butt to test SRS wall kicks in-game, because of all the different possible cases and all the different things that could go wrong in the implementation. It might make things easier if you put up the source code.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

SRS colors: Correct.

SRS initial orientation: Correct.

SRS basic rotation: Correct.

Lockdown: Soft=lock, hard=slide.

IRS: Present.

World reverse: No.

Sub-row positioning: Round up for collision and display.

Joysticks: Don't work.

Hold: Not present.

Pause: Not present.

IRS: Present, but silent!

Hold down to soft drop: Piece never locks! I can pause Death this way.

Bag randomizer: I have a gut feeling it's wrong, but I can't put my finger on it just yet.

SRS kick 1 and 2: Correct.

SRS kick 4, rotating counterclockwise from point-up: Correct.

SRS kick 4, rotating clockwise from point-up: EPIC FAIL!

Piece locks partially outside the field.

Code:
    |     |  |     |  |     |  |    t|
    |     |  |   z |  |   z |  |   z tt
    |     |  |   zz |  |   zzT |  |   zz t|
    |i  j ll|  |  ooz |  |  oozTTT|  |  ooz |
    |i  j l| => |i ooj ll| => |i ooj ll| => |i ooj ll|
    |i ss jj tl|  |i tttj l|  |i tttj l|  |i tttj l|
    |issiiiittt|  |i sstjj tl|  |i sstjj tl|  |i sstjj tl|
    If I clear my first line by hard dropping three pieces, I get zero points. What's the deal?

4. Thanks tepples, it's always hard working from your own perspective having written the code and figuring "it should work, so it will".

I could show you the code, but it's not very pretty right now - using a lot of if/else for different positions - gonna fix this later this evening when I find time and make a neat wallkick table based upon a link I found on your wiki.

5. Well, following the TGM1 scoring formula,

Score = ((Level + Lines)/4 + Soft) x Lines x Combo x Bravo

where combo = 1, lines = 1, bravo = 1 and level + lines = 3, integer division makes it 0.

6. I think that lines should count the number of lines hard dropped. Without checking, it also looks like you're missing a +1 somewhere...

7. Perhaps I should use soft = 1 if the piece was locked with hard drop. TGM1 only has soft drop though, but no SRS either... :p

8. Soft is supposed to be the number of rows forced. Additionally, it isn't "/(4+Soft)," it is "/4 + Soft." Soft is not in the divisor.

9. ei

ei

Alternately, you could use TA's score formula (Score = ((Level + Lines)/4 + Soft + (2 x Sonic)) x Lines x Combo x Bravo) which includes a bonus for sonic drops, or TAP's (Score = ((Level + Lines)/4 + Soft + (2 x Sonic)) x Lines x Combo x Bravo + (Level_After_Clear)/2 + (Speed x 7)) which adds a few other bits and pieces.

~EI

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i love the music in that video [​IMG]

Quad - why not design your own SRSish system?

requirements:

1. simple

2. intuitive

3. predictable kicks

and it's up to the player to l2stack under your system [​IMG]

11. First of all I myself am an ARS player - I think it feels more intuitive than SRS with its many weird wallkicks - so I would not be a good designer of an SRS system people would find familiar yet "better".

Second, I want players to feel like they are playing any other Tetris game which they are used to and which behaves like they expect it to.

I could always add my own rotation system (and maybe I will!) but figuring out which rotations should be allowed and which should not is not anything I feel I would be good at.

12. That's not what I was saying, but adding soft bonus for "sonic drops" would at least give you a nonzero score in the situation tepples described.

Also, soft is the total number of frames during the last piece's life which the user held down the soft key. In 20G it will be the same as 1 point bonus for manually locking a piece, but sub 20G you can get ~10 soft bonus.

13. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Have you tried DRS? It's a really strange mix of ARS and SRS elements but there are some very interesting aspects to be noted. The rotation orientations and wallkicks come to mind. It actually keeps the useful kicks from ARS while incorporating a lot of the more useful kicks in SRS.

14. Oh I see where your problem is. You're supposed to round up (Level + Lines)/4.

That should solve the problem. [​IMG]

15. Ah well spotted, thanks!