Is there a good FREE online Tetris game?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Shuugo, 28 Jul 2007.

1. Shuugo

Shuugo Unregistered

Wah, I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a good online Tetris game for free =P. Tetris Zone apparently is the best online Tetris game, but it's not free =.= any ideas? Thanks in advance~

2. Shuugo

Shuugo Unregistered

I heard DTet differs brutally from TGM or Tetris DS, with weird rotation stuff and all XDD is there a good free game that follows the same premise of Tetris DS or TGM ?

Thanks for replying so quick ^^

3. If online (whatever that means) is a necessity, then none.

4. Shuugo

Shuugo Unregistered

By online I mean exactly what the word is supposed to mean >.> a Tetris game with support to online play, so I can play against other players / friends online, not needing them to be by my side in order to be able to play versus matches.

5. Then none.

And the word "online" used alone is too vague. In addition to synchronous real-time versus play, it can mean leaderboard support, download and playback of replays, web-based progress tracking, asynchronous replay-based versus matches, the program itself running inside a web browser (Java, Flash, Shockwave, AIR, Silverlight, Ajax...) or another network-connected environment (Second Life, widget engine...) with or without any of the aforementioned features, etc.

There are in fact many games which support one or more of these features without supporting realtime versus play. That is why "online" alone is too vague. A statement that would have been unambiguous enough would be something like "a Tetris game that supports online versus play".

6. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

[​IMG] Needle, you scare me sometimes.

7. why would they release a game for free and lower the perceived value of tetris? it's just bad business. suck it up and seperate yourself from ten dollars. if you really are that poor or cheap, then i'll pay for it for you.

8. Zone does not support realtime versus play either.

9. oh he wants versus play.

looks like you'll have to wait like the rest of us.

10. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you just want a block stacking game that supports 2 players, and you don't care about whether it has the Tetris branding, you could use Nestopia + Kaillera + Tetramino. Both Nestopia and Tetramino are free software.

11. Zero747

Zero747 Unregistered

What about TetriNet or Cultris?

They're both online, and you can play against others in realtime.

Edit: Or Quadra if you want cascade style tetris (Which is the one I play.)

12. Shuugo

Shuugo Unregistered

Needle: I see your point ^^ sorry for not being especific enough on my posts, what you said is true.

caffeine: It's not a matter of being poor or not, it's just that Tetris is such a popular game and yet, no good online games with support to real time versus are available as of the moment @_@. I have the 10 bucks, that's the least of my problems, I don't have a credit card though. Thanks for offering to pay anyway, I appreciate it ^^.

tepples: I never knew you could use Kaillera for this O.o it's a good option indeed. Problem is I'm behind a router and hence, incapable of creating a server. At least it never worked here with fighting games and such, but hey, that might really work if I solve the router problem. Thanks for the suggestion~

Zero747: TetriNet server didn't really work here, do you have a good list of servers for the game Zero? And I didn't know about Cultris, I'll test it out ASAP.

Thanks everyone for all the replies ^^ and sorry for being scrub'ish on my posts.

13. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Do you have a checking account? Most banks and credit unions in the U.S. offer a debit card with the VISA or MasterCard logo to their checking customers.

Are you able to gain administration over the router? If so, you could open a port. Or you could use one of the public servers.

14. Zero747

Zero747 Unregistered

You might want to go with Cultris anyway, TetriNet has some bugs and is kinda slow paced. [​IMG]