Insane Japanese Tetris DS scores

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 20 Aug 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Deepdorp posted this in his blockstats blog and I figured it was worth some discussion:

Linkatola

I'm thorougly speechless. 2 million in Standard Marathon? 500k in Line Clear?I could go on and on, but these scores/times are simply nuts.

I wonder what sort of verification process that site has? I'd live to see pics of the records screen. I'd REALLY love to see vids. I wonder if some sort of save state hack was abused? I'll bet I could pull off 20 mil in Catch if I could save the game at my leisure....

Oh, and is there anything interesting there that could be translated by someone in the know?

2. Inclusion of Endless mode makes me unhappy.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Endless would have been better if the lock delay decreased after every few levels.

But how many points are a T-spin triple followed by eight back-to-back T-spin triples worth?

4. A while back Jin8 posted a picture showing 50k tetris points on his blog.

5. there are actually a bunch of those scores verified with pictures, not that that makes me feel any better. i'd rather think they were false. some of the touch tower scores are also commented with 11,11,12 and 11,11,11 which must be the combos achieved in getting those scores.

6. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Those touch tower scores are extremely insane, and the thought of pulling off three 11 line chains just melts my brain.

I need to see a video to believe it, otherwise I have to believe that they are save-stating.

7. sully, the tower level 2 score, by BOS.U (with the 11-11-11) was submitted on 06/21/'06. were savestates widely available to be exploited then, or only more recently with the action replay unit? knowing this bit of info could help give more truth to the score, or at least make it less likely to have been achieved through suspect methods. i believe that it is an honest attempt, especially given that there is no time limit and once you understand what a huge combo looks like it is just a matter of getting the right board. i'm not saying it is easy by any means, just that when you know what you are trying to do it seems more possible.

and finally to give you one more thing to not want to believe:

there is a max-surface-detonation-area board at that site. i'll let it be your choice/mission to find it or not (it's not as bad as you may think, but you'll probably start playing catch mode again), but it is there.

8. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

how do those asians do it.

9. Dedicated players are good. Asian players are not necessarily good. Comments like this are borderline racist.

10. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

i don't know where you get the boarderline, it is racist.

11. tepples

Action Replay Duo, which can edit save data of DS Game Cards, has been out for over 16 months.

People who live with their folks and hold a part-time job have more time to devote to Teh Toe Ree Sue.

12. Yeah. I said borderline, but I didn't really mean it.

I know you like linking random stuff but... [​IMG] Freeters was not the right thing to bring up in this context. And then you made a crack about their accent? I hope your post was tongue in cheek... You should try excercising a little more tact in the future.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that Jin8 (HOLiC) is actually quite a bit hipper than the average serious tetris player, and he is definitely not a freeter.

13. tepples

It was tongue-in-cheek. I apologize for any misinterpretation.

14. Sully

Sully Unregistered

[​IMG]

15. Bander87

Bander87 Unregistered

If you copy and paste a link in google thats in a foriegn language, there will be a [translate page] link next to link result, where you can have the whole page translated for you. This probably sounds confusing, but you'll see if you try it for yourself.

Also, I do believe the max detonation area on the board is 100, so Sully is right up there [​IMG]

16. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

or you could go to "translation.google.com"

EDIT: or i thought you could...

EDIT #2: ahh its "translate.google.com"

17. i was specifically targetting sully with the above comment, but failed to include that he had commented on my blog entry, wondering what 'their best max surface det. area was.' i figured that he didn't realize that the catch chart had a lower chart showing max det. figures, and wanted to break the news as lightly as i could to him as he is the resident champ [​IMG]

yeah, i first viewed the page with google translate, but figured it didn't matter since there was english text already there(for the charts at least).

plus, i have found google's Japanese-->English translation is not exactly understandable most of the time.

oh, and to tetrisdude:

i'm sure your comment wasn't meant maliciously, however, you can see the quick response it generated here, and i agree with the rest of the pack on this one. hopefully, this can be taken as a mistake and lesson-learned for the future.

18. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

google's japanese to english filter is acualy pretty good. if you compair it to the other real translator out there (altavista's babelfish) it beats it by much. but this is a tetris forum, not a translator forum. and i agree people should watch what they are saying just a little bit more, lets keep this communty growing not stunt it.

19. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I was thinking about the Touch Tower scores and I had a particular thought- can you pause while the level loads? If so, you could map out the whole level and plan the entire thing all the way through before moving a single piece. I didn't bring my DS to work so I cant test this out.

20. Just tried it: you can.