I just shat myself

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 21 Sep 2007.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

What's goin' on, guys? I haven't been around much for the past 6 months or so, but I just saw something that I needed to share.

I've been playing TDS somewhat daily, working on that ever-elusive run on Standard Marathon that goes the full 200 lines with only t-spin doubles and tetrises. I broke my top score today with a decent run of 2,398,000, going 100 lines before breaking streak. Anyway, I decided to update my scores on cyberscore.net and I saw that some guy had gotten this insane score on Catch mode:

[​IMG]

(I shrunk the image- here's the full size for anyone who wants to scrutinize the pic: http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3024/catchha4.jpg)

29 million! The highest score I'd ever seen was ~20 million, and that was by one of those crazy Japanese guys with 50k Tetris points and almost 3 mil on Standard Marathon. I don't see how 29mil is possible, unless there's a way to slow the gameplay down so you could play on level 20 as if it was level 1 speed (something like Action Replay, perhaps).

2. That does seem ridiculously high. I don't claim to be an expert at Catch Mode, but that's way over double anything I've got.

The pic seems genuine enough, though AR could be pretty likely.

It also seems strange that compared to it the Max Detonation Area is reasonably good rather than astounding.

Still, there are a lot of scores out there which seem impossible yet are genuine. I wouldn't be inclined to believe HOLiC's wifi stats if I hadn't seen him play myself.

3. It's definitely possible. In theory, much higher scores are possible...I think the main reason we haven't seen any is that catch mode is so tedious and frustrating.

I'm not totally convinced that the score is legit, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

4. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I understand that it's possible, but I meant to say that I don't think it's plausible. You'd have to average about 725k per detonation which at level 20 speed is just NUTS.

5. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Those crazy Japanese guys are at it again:

[​IMG]

6. See, I find that score slightly more believable, because 121 is also a detonation area that shows pretty high levels of skill at Catch Mode.