Has it really been 5 years???

Thread in 'Discussion' started by M.Bison, 24 Jan 2014.

1. Hi everyone!

Looks like I am finally back after a 5+ year hiatus. Long story short; my psycho drive reached dangerously high temperatures sometime during the start of 2009 and became extremely unstable which lead to an explosion of truly epic proportions (you may have heard a about it on the world news?). My body was lost (or rather destroyed) during this event leaving me to wonder the Earth as mass of pure concentrated evil for five years, searching for a new host body. Recently I found a new candidate. The psycho drive was only just fully restored (thanks to a brilliant crack team of scientists) a couple of weeks ago, and has been up and running ever since (but not to full capacity). Still not sure if my newly obtained body is superior to its predecessor (-it’s currently still in its ‘testing’ stages) – but I intend to push it to its utmost limits [*cue manic laugh of insanity].

OK, so maybe none of that actually happened…well, not in that context anyway… More or less I just got distracted doing other things and generally ‘living life’. Probably the main thing that pulled my away for the most part was playing and collecting ‘retro’ video games (like the NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, PC-Engine etc) - I have about 1600 games in my video game collection, but I can’t really see this figure growing anytime soon due to other financial commitments. I also invested in a number of (oldish) synthesizers and drum machines a year or so back and learned how to compose electronic music (without the aid of PC software) which is something I always wanted to do. I started skateboarding again recently too, but I keep seriously injuring myself – I’m actually resting some severely damaged ligaments in my ankles as I type this.

I haven’t really played much Tetris at all in the past 5 years - probably somewhere between 20 and 30 hours in total. I actually only just started playing/training seriously again about two week’s ago, but it’s safe to say I well and truly have the Tetris bug in a big way – the RSI in my hands is proof of that!

It’s great to see so many old faces (or rather users) are still here and playing strong; yes, I am talking about you colour_thief, Amnesia, Rosti_LFC, jujube, blink, Kitaru, cyberguile (and the many others who’s usernames have slipped my mind) – so happy to see you all! It’s like a 5 year school reunion - only it’s actually fun and exciting!!! Special praise goes to colour_thief for keeping the same signature for all these years! Nice work dude; seriously, you don’t know who happy it makes me to see nostalgic things like that :) It’s good to so many new users too; I look forward to getting to know you all better in the near future.

I am going to dig up some of my old records in the next couple of days that I never got around to uploading and hopefully work on some new ones too.

I can’t really think of much else to say other than “it’s great to be back!”

- Jono

2. I did not know you before those 5 years, but that first paragraph was epic indeed. Hi, and pleased to meet you :)

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Jono was an autist super player, who has been keeping the head for a while on the 40 lines run, he let the places when the scores started to get under 26sec...

If you look carefully around 58-59sec he is in "autist" mode ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbyCSFrrcsM

4. No!!! You were this guy!?

5. Me too I was frustrated to not knowing who was the guy on this video, I'm happy to find him ! :p

Nice to meet you Jono ! :)

6. Welcome back Jono, good to see you're still in one piece :p

Long been usurped from your title of fastest player though!

7. Very pleased to hear you enjoyed my deluded psychotic rant (expect many more to follow). Anyone who can put up with my insanity is a friend of mine; it’s a pleasure to meet you :)

Yup. Thats me in my old form (or rather body).

Glad you can finally put a face to the name - or is that the other way around? In any case, it’s a pleasure to meet you too Supernaze7 :D

Thank you Rosti LFC; I'm very excited to be back :biggrin:

Ahh, yes; there is much work to be done in the catching up department. For now I think I am just going to take things easy though (-still into my first month of training in 5 years) - though my greed and ambition for world domination grows by the day...:twisted:

- Jono

8. JONOS back!!!!

Well, I wasn't here when you are here, but I have certainly seen the youtube video of you.

Good to see your return. Even us NES players are fans :) (at least me that is, but I might be the only NES player who also enjoys watching modern Tetris as basically a spectator sport)

9. Cheers Ben; that really means a lot to me :D. Being a bit of a retro games nut I am quite a big fan of Tetris (NES), Tetris (GB), Tetris DX (GBC), Tetris & Dr. Mario (SNES), Super Tetris 2 & 3 (SNES) - and the list goes on... Watching Jonas'(?) maxout video for the NES all those years back (on tetrismaster.com was it?) was actually one of my key inspirations for getting into Tetris in a major way. The idea of maxing out a score (for any game) has always amazed me - and I have nothing but admiration and respect for those who are able to achieve such things.

- Jono

10. Holy crap Jono's back! Glad you liked my signature. I just can't bring myself to change it at this point! :D

And wow, I had no idea you were such a retro game guy. Aside from Tetris and Street Figther what are your favourites?

11. I am indeed a big fan of it; I have always liked the Matrix series and Tetris, so for me it’s the perfect combination :)

I am into retro games in a big way, I might have to take a picture of my 'gaming station' for you; 2 TV’s and 10 or so consoles, lol! It’s such a mess of controls and cables – I love it :)

Favourite games; hmmm, you have really put me on the spot here…:hmm: Obviously I thoroughly enjoy Street Fighter, but usually only the ‘EX’ series (EX3 would be my favourite Street Fighter game by far!), which as you probably know was programmed by Arika; I just love how comically over-powered M.Bison is throughout majority of the franchise – the animated series and animated movie is better still for the ridiculousness that is M.Bison.

Ok, so back to the original question…I tend to just play games, finish them, than never play them again, but ones that I can replay again and again are: Final Fight (either arcade or Mega-CD port), Smash TV (Megadrive port), Double Dragon 2 & 3 (NES port), The Adventures of Batman and Robbin (Megadrive), Darius (PC-Engine port – a great game!!!) and Time Crisis (arcade – epically cinematic!!!) – although I will pretty much play ANY platformer or SHMUP that was released between 1987 and 1995 – not really a fan of ‘modern’ games. I better stop there; I could honesty, rant and rant and rant all day about retro video games; what makes a good game, and what makes a bad game, how overrated some games are, and how underrated others are etc etc etc.

- Jono

12. K

K

Welcome back Jono, glad to see you there too, this community just can't die :)

13. Thank K ^^
    I know, right??? This community it stupidly bad-ass with its eternal life. "Anyone who opposes us will be destroyed :twisted:".

- Jono