Has anyone here played with the SRS-X / Standard-EXP rotation system?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by TPM2209, 24 Mar 2016.

1. This is a rotation system that's not so well-known if you don't play Heboris or Nullpomino, but it's the one I started out with when I started trying to play TGM on simulators. If I had to describe it in a sentence fragment it would be "SRS with ARS controls". It has non-locking hard drop, so you can do overhang moves with it, but it also has the same wall-kicks as SRS, move reset up to 12 rotations, and 180° rotation.

Has anyone here ever tried it, or am I alone in using this as my main rotation system? I find that it's probably the easiest one to play with on all the TGM modes — it has the best of both worlds, so to say, of World Rule and Classic Rule from TGM3.

2. Good memories. I didn't try that one out but I remember I was trying one of them that allowed the Mihara conspiracy both ways.

3. It actually sounds similar to The New Tetris, though New Tetris was before SRS and allows some weird rotations. I wish the guideline would have kept non-locking hard drops...

4. Muf

Muf

I remember playing with SRS-X way back when I first got started playing the old Heboris-UE in 2007. I'd play Ti-ARS, and then as a guilty pleasure I'd infinity-abuse my way through a game with SRS-X.

5. Pretty much the same here, except that I think I used DS-WORLD instead as I had been playing TDS a ton for some time before I joined TC and was what I was most familiar with.

6. Personally, I stuck with SRS-X because at the time I started playing Heboris, I had absolutely no idea what the differences between the different rotation systems were, and I just went with what looked suitable for me from the selection screen. SRS-X was for "middle-expert", which I considered myself to be at the time, so I went with that and never really thought about it afterwards.

I stuck with it so much that I now have a provisional MasterO rank for Grade Mania 3 using Standard-EXP on Nullpomino, and I can clear the 2:28 Shirase torikan using it (while the default torikan for all SRS rotation systems is 3:03).

Buuuuuut, as it turns out, SRS-X was the only rotation system in Heboris that wasn't a replica of another game's system. So now I'm stuck playing simulators to play my rotation system of choice, because no other game actually uses the one I'm most familiar with.

However, I'm in the process of building a new Tetris engine called Functomino, and for that I'm going to have SRS-X be the default. :p

Last edited: 25 Mar 2016
    Qlex likes this.
  7. Muf

Muf

Come to the ARS side. We have cookies. And a carnival of Death.

8. I'm in the middle of doing that, lol. Been playing Classic2/Classic3 half the time now just to see how well I can get to doing.

Also, ARS has affected the way I play SRS as well — I use a 2:28 torikan on Speed Mania 2 for Standard-EXP, just to prove to myself that I can play at the same speed as an ARS player of the same rank.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2016
    Qlex likes this.