Hard drop: Up or Down ???

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Kevcel, 20 Mar 2009.

1. Suppose you're playing a 0G game...
    a SRS 0G game with hard drop and soft drop:

Which key do YOU use for hard drop?

[I got inspired to ask this, after I had changed my configuration at LJ...and broke my personal record at 40 lines [​IMG] ]

2. I prefer using down. It puts the keys in a comfortable straight line, seeing as I use hard drop far more than I use soft or sonic drop, which I set to up.

3. UP.

4. I voted "else" at first because it is situational for me. If there is a firm drop, I have it as down. If there is only a soft drop, I have it as up. I'll change my vote to down since I would prefer to have a firm drop, which means I would prefer a setup where I would prefer a hard drop on down. :p

EDIT: Too late, I'm locked into "else" :p

5. Down, all same row for the win

6. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Down for the same reasoning of having all my keys on the same row.

7. Down for me because Down = locking the piece.

8. Up. Maybe I will try down though, after reading all its wonderful testimonials.

9. Shizi

Shizi Unregistered

eh..? i use space bar for hard drop!

10. jujube

jujube Unregistered

the space bar and the thumb are too slooooww.

i use F for hard drop, and J-K-L for left-soft drop-right (in a row just like the arrow keys but it's less awkward for me).

11. Wait, F? With the thumb on your right hand or your left hand?

12. I use F as well for hard drop. The number pad for directions and turning.

13. I think he uses the index finger of his left hand.

Edit: I voted Up because that's what I was used to from Tetris DS, but after seeing the reasoning of them all being on the same row and/or down=lock, I think I'll give Down a try.

14. I use up, but down seems like a tempting choice. It'll suck to have to adapt for Tetris DS, but whatever, tetlag is nothing new.

numpad is for rotation (1, 2, 3) and 0 is hold piece. It's a compact scheme that mirrors the arcade layout.

15. J! (Right hand index finger reserved for the button I press most.) Home row FTW!

Oh yeah, for all other devices besides keyboard: up. There's no "same row" principle on the Dpad, cellphone, arcade stick, etc.

16. m:)

m:) Unregistered

that's why i voted "else". i just can't play with the keyboard and adapt to the drop being up or down rather quick.
    although i'll admit to not using down until recently on blockbox. i gotta say down to hard drop and up to firm drop is awful nice.

17. jujube

jujube Unregistered

yeah that's right, just like Red Star. i'm right-handed but i haven't noticed my left hand is any slower.

18. Really? I tested it more than one time by opening notepad and timing say 10 seconds of rapidly hitting a key with each finger. My right index finger outperforms every time.

19. lgb

lgb

Up. Great for anything. Really great for Guideline, Tetramino, and Lockjaw.

20. Ai

Ai

I've always used up for hard drop until I started manual locking in Texmaster and TGM. I use down now and wonder why I ever used up.