gravity gun for tetris !! (?)

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 8 Dec 2006.

1. do you know the gravity gun from halflife 2? then you already know what my idea is.

for those of you who do not:

what about about the following gameplay modification:

one of the tetrominos acts as a magnet, lifting up already settled pieces from the playfield through pressing a special action key. that would allow to re-place accidently missplaced pieces... press again and the lifted piece drops. and another good thing: this would essentially remove the need for a HOLD key... (if all pieces can act as magnets).

or does this magnet feature already exist in some tetris game?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

finally. a proof of the gravity gun concept:

[​IMG]

* youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBerEJwExWw

* highres xvid video: http://www.coreloop.com/dump/gravity_gun_tetris.avi (10 mbyte)

*new beta of gravytris: [MODDED]

controls:

* cursor keys: move, rotate

* space: soft drop, double space: hard drop, no lockdelay

* ALT-Gr: hard drop, lock delay; double: hard, no lockdelay

* right Ctrl: hold it to activate gravity gun. hold and move / rotate moves both play piece and grav-gunned piece

* ESC: quit current game, 3x esc: exit game

this new beta release finally has an options menu (still missing keyboard configure, but that comes very soon) where you can configure screen resolution and audio. if you have troubles hearing audio, switch to "generic software" mode.

2. It's an interesting idea, but it would make the game very easy and would slow play down.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Too easy? How about starting with a full field, no rotation, and all you have is the gravity gun? If the TDS touch puzzles work, then this might work too.

4. And the slowness? [​IMG] Yes it was sort of implemented in a commercial game (TDS), but I'd argue it doesn't really work. Not well, anyways.

I know herc likes experimental ideas, and that's totally cool and has its own appeal, but I like my tetris straight up. Get much weirder than, say, Shirase, and I start to lose interest. Note: I own Super Tetris 2 (bombliss), Super Tetris 3 (magicaliss), and Tetris 2 (dr. mario rip-office), so I'm not dismissing weird concepts without having actually given them a chance.

JM works pretty well IMO because it doesn't try to be crazy tetris, it just does its own thing.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I understand this sentiment. Another school of thought is that "experimental ideas" were how Tetris came to be in the first place.

So is TOD too weird for you?

6. about slowing down the game / making it easier:

i think, if the timing and falling speeds are not changed, then why should it slow down gameplay? in higher levels, you would barely have time to use that gravity gun (i would for example couple it to the O) at all, except if you really plan to use it. so i think it would be a quite unobstrusive addition, you dont have to use it, but if you use it clever, you could gain extra advantage and points, just like that 4x4 squares building.

and in higher levels, you would have to plan quite clever to have time at all to use it. so i would state, that instead of making gameplay easier, it would make it in fact more complex. but that needs a test... who knows.. if i ever manage to finish my half baken clone, i will test that gravity gun idea.

7. Only sort of. I 100% approve of trippy gameplay... Jeff Minter is like one of my heroes. But TOD's trippyness is quite obstructive. But then again, I guess it's less obstructive than TGM's invisible challenge? I guess I like the general style but not enough to play it seriously, if that makes any sense.

8. "Another school of thought is that "experimental ideas" were how Tetris came to be in the first place."

absolute blasphemy. you know as well as i do that Tetris The Pure and Perfect One was handed down to us by the heavens, as said in 2 Tetlithians 3:26.

9. I thought it was Torikan 3:25? [​IMG]

10. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

And I thought Herc was talking about Wii Tetris!

11. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

Speaking about gravity, I got Elebits (Wii game) and they payed homage to Tetris [​IMG] ..I just saw the T-piece really, but hey..

12. What color was it?

13. whats your expirience with the wii controller? i heared that it is quite laggy - there seems to be a small delay between moving the controller and an action in the game... is this true? or is it a game specific issue? (red steel was often critizised and a skateboard game)

14. sihumchai

sihumchai Unregistered

@ Needle: It was orange / gold [​IMG] They had other pieces that looked something like this.

Code:
    [][]
    []
    [][] Purple

@ Herc: In my opinion, I can tell you it's a wonderful experience. And the control issues are game-specific, like Red Steel(FPS, sword and gun), it was laggy because the game was not running at 60FPS.. When it gets choppy, the cursor starts to slow down a little. Elebits on the other hand runs at 60fps until the screen is filled with too many items, or unless it's a wide-open area.

Tony Hawks was criticized eh? I wanted to get that game [​IMG]

I can feel the new way of controlling Tetris using the Wii Remote. Nintendo could bring back the Touch-mode from Nintendo DS and replace them with pointer controls.. Or, they could make a 3d one like what Elebits did. It was just a small little puzzle you had to do in Elebits, stack them up in someway then you earn points(Watts).

MY suggestion for Wii Tetris(one of the control styles) would be holding the Wii remote in NES style (sideways, with thumbs on D-pad and buttons 1-2(b, a respectively).. Buttons facing upwards, you tilt the remote to move pieces. Controls must be VERY tight. From a neutral 180 degree position tilted to a 220 degree(and vice-versa), you could make the piece move all the way to the side. Bad idea it may be actually, but it might work [​IMG]

D-pad hard/soft drops, 1/2(b,a) rotate, Main A, B hold buttons. (shake Wii remote for power-ups?) [​IMG]

15. finally. a proof of the gravity gun concept:

[​IMG]

* youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBerEJwExWw

* highres xvid video: http://www.coreloop.com/dump/gravity_gun_tetris.avi (10 mbyte)

*new beta of gravytris: [MODDED]

controls:

* cursor keys: move, rotate

* space: soft drop, double space: hard drop, no lockdelay

* ALT-Gr: hard drop, lock delay; double: hard, no lockdelay

* right Ctrl: hold it to activate gravity gun. hold and move / rotate moves both play piece and grav-gunned piece

* ESC: quit current game, 3x esc: exit game

this new beta release finally has an options menu (still missing keyboard configure, but that comes very soon) where you can configure screen resolution and audio. if you have troubles hearing audio, switch to "generic software" mode.

16. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

i played this for a good 30 mins. I really like the fact that if you miss drop you can pull the piece out of the hole. Also it made for some interesting stuff using the huge blocks. But i will not play any more until you change the controls. Also when you add custom controls clockwise and counter-clockwise are a must!

17. @cdsboy: in 2-4 days its ready. its already coded, just need have to fight with the user interface.

what would be your preferred (default?) keyboard layout?

hard drop with the cursor-up-key? what was the most irritating thing with the current keyboard layout?

18. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Well for your game i would go with the standard control scheme. Up hardrop, down softdrop, left and right sideways, z counter clockwise, x clockwise, and i'd either put gravity gun as S or Space.

19. keys are now configurable.

[MODDED]