Gaijin's guide to Tetris Kiwamemichi

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Zaphod77, 25 Apr 2008.

1. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

One thing you will notice is there is almost no english text. Hence, this guide. [​IMG]

The basic game works like this.

SRS with 7 bag.

pieces enter below ceiling.

auto-shift 1g!

infinity is on (but can be disabled in options, see below)

there is a post entry delay of about .75 seconds or so during which you can move and/or rotate before the piece drops, regardless of gravity. This makes reaching level 20 a snap.

The following modes are available.

1) Endless single player (Tetris). In home mode (default) this goes to level 20 at the 200 line mark, and stays there. you may start at any level.

2) Target. You are given a fixed time to clear the lines with flashing blocks. Timer is reset every level.

3) HotLine. you must clear the marked lines to finish the level,and each marked line gives you the listed multiplier on the number of lines you just cleared. Run out of time and it's game over.

4).Level Star. You have a timer, and when it runs out it's game over. you must clear the listed number of lines to gain extra time. Starts at 4 lines, and goes up by 4 each clear.

5) versus. 2-4 human players, each with own pit.

a) players do NOT get the same pieces! however, since it's a bag randomizer, it all evens out pretty much. everyone gets the same pieces, just in a different order.

b) garbage appears to be clone style (2-3-4) but randomly shifted each time you send garbage.

c)item blocks exist, and activate immediately on collection. but you must go into multiplayer options, and change the top options for your player to activate item mode. individual items can then be disabled. no i don't know how that part works.

6) co-op. this is a simple game of endless. the pit is (n*10)X20 where n=number of players. 1 preview only per player.

Options.

first option is piece preview.

second option is ghost piece.

3rd option is hold.

4th option is infinity (but see option 6)

5th option is auto-save.

6th option is wether or not moving resets lock delay when infinity is off. it defaults to yes, and you most switch it to the other position to fully disable infinity. (right)

7th is music volue

8th is sound effect volume.

9th changes from home mode to arcade mode, and lets you set difficulty for arcade mode. In arcade mode, you cannot choose starting level, and the level goes up with each tetromino dropped and each line cleared, like in TGM.

10th sets rotate buttons. By default, X is ccw, and both box and circle are CW. this option swaps it so that X is CW,and box and circle are CCW. triangle and r1 are always Hold.

2. d

d Unregistered

Wow, thanks. I looked up the arcade site and translated it and put your text all in one 4-page document.

http://www.zshare.net/download/138655030c35a6cd/

Set your printer on double sides and booklet and you will get one nice piece of paper, fold it and you have a nice little booklet.

3. Muf

Muf

You might want to look into getting a friend or someone else who knows Japanese to translate that, cause none of that text makes any sense.

4. It's not always just getting the same types of pieces. Sometimes the order can really kick your ass. Take S/Z starts for example (forcing a soft drop), but this is not the only case where order can hurt one player and not the other.

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I thought the typical way to handle a Z start was to put the Z in the corner and then build four lines on top of that. Is there something about this game that discourages a platform tetris?

6. Optimal, not typical. Platforming carries an element of risk, too. I never see people do it (and I don't either, even though I should). The main difficulty is leaving the open column in the column you want it in at the end. The point was that order can really hurt placement sometimes--not just because of S/Z starts.

edit: okay, maybe not "optimal" with T-Spins.

7. d

d Unregistered

Wow, I'm new to the forum, but I love the Tetris tech talk! I know what you mean, the z start is killer, but what if you first get a quare and then a Z. That's even worst! [​IMG]

8. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The O is not too much of a big deal as it doesn't force you to soft drop any more than if you had started with SZ.

Anyhow, I believe the disadvantage caused by the OSZ opening sequence is so minimal it's negligent if dealt with correctly.

9. tepples

An opening like this works in any game with non-locking soft drop (Guideline style) or firm drop (TNT/TAP/Ti Classic):

Code:
    |     |
    | ZS  |
    | ZZSS  |
    | ZOOS  |
    | OO  |
    `----------'
    J, T, or LI fits under the left side, and anything else fits under the right. But I think the problem with O openings came from TGM1, which had no non-locking fast drop (no hard drop, locking soft drop), so you couldn't do slide moves as easily in the <0.5G sections.

10. To my knowledge, you can't be dealt an O as the first piece. Or was that irrelevant to the point you were making?

11. tepples

I was explaining why. It was to work around an aspect of TGM1's controls, and it just got preserved in TGM2 and later.

12. Better way to handle OSZ with holding (meaning less soft droppage) assuming we make tetrises on right-most column:

Code:
    OO SS
    OOSS

Without holding:
    Code:
     Z
     ZZ 
    OOZSS
    OOSS

SS
     SSZ 
    OOZZ
    OOZ

13. jujube

jujube Unregistered

the idea of allowing the player to start a game in TGM1 without creating an overhang that must be dealt with delicately makes sense because you're being timed. but could you imagine a similar rule in TDS? do the players that rely on T-spin openings need even less to think about, and the ability to use their favorite opening more often?

1st or 2nd piece is I: TKI's 3 TSD setup

1st or 2nd piece is J or L: Triple Double

1st or 2nd piece is T: Imperial Cross

and 2 of those 3 setups work in guideline games post-TDS. i'm sure somebody could come up with a more universally valuable setup for a J or L start.

i'm of the opinion the 7 piece bag shouldn't be used to start a game, but it works later on because every time you hit a bag seam your stack has a different shape and height, as opposed to it being perfectly flat and low at the beginning. what if the game started with a 14 bag, with IJL or T coming early, then straight 7 bags after the 14th piece? someone who knows what they're doing could stack normally and make b2b tetrises to start every game with a 14 bag.

14. And this is somehing that our randomizer analysis just can't cover. Most fo the analysis that has been done is concentrated on the long run, as TGM games last about 800 pieces. Not that much thought has been put into games that last less than a minute on average, so that you only ever see 100 pieces or so. So it's even harder to know what would be good.

I think that part of the problem in this is the number of previews. So many games provide a sizable number of previews - not quite to DTET proportions, but still more than are realistically needed. When you can see that far in advance, you can literally plan the whole world out, thereby eliminating all unpredictability from the game. Maybe it's time to drop back down to 3 previews (or even less), and let the randomizer show its true colours...

15. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i think it's within many people's abilities to remember when they last saw a certain piece, consciously or not, so they probably don't need to see 6 pieces ahead with a 7 piece bag, already having a pretty good idea of when they'll get the piece they need. and often times it isn't the number of pieces between now and when your desired piece is falling, but simply the length of time you'll need to wait. if you want the piece sooner just play faster. generally you find a way to arrange the other pieces so they're out of the way, and maybe you can use them to setup a prophecy TSD or tetris which could uncover a garbage hole or make it easy to continue your attack while neglecting received garbage. what i mean is you have flexibility in your stacking and planning even when you're stubbornly waiting on just the right piece to put in a hole.

16. d

d Unregistered

Hi guys,
    I'm getting better at Tetris, but I stil have alot of practicing to do to become better. Kiwamemichi is probably frowned upon, being so easy and all. But anyway, I can now finally at least last a while on level 20. While this is nothing to you, for me it's pretty incredible to play at this level and I'm really excited. Do you guys remember when you were able to experience 20G and live? Anyway I have infinity on, but that feels like cheating, so now I set infinity off like the below quoted text claims. And now that I have infinty off, what determines how much I can move,rotate pieces? Is it time or amount of movements or amount of rotations? Because now sometimes I'm rotating stuff and it suddenly locks while it's all wrong [​IMG]
    And what exactly is meant by zaphod77's explanation?
    6 option: Is it that if you move, that the lock delay resets, so that by moving there still is infinity?
    OK, so the infinity is off, but how much time/how many rotations/movements can I do before it locks?
    I'd like to receive some numbers. Or is this something that is not standard and divers for every game and I just have to figure it out myself?

17. Zaphod77

When you set both options to the non default, the gameuses step reset, wher eonly causing the piece to drop down will reset the lock delay.

If you only get the first one, movement still resets lock delay.

18. Zaphod77

BTW i just fired this up again. Played ONE game. maxed score at 9,999,999, then hard dropped myself to death. Very boring. Probably the easiest maxout of any Tetris game. Arcade mode may be more challenging, but normal level 20 is incredibly easy. You can abuse hold when das is charged to get pieces clear to the side before they even leave the starting area. (you thought Kevholding was useful on TI? it's VERY useful here)

19. Zaphod77

okay, arcade mode is tougher. no infinity there, level counter works like TI, except there are no level stops. every 100 you get a speed break until you get to 700, then the game starts trying to kill you in earnest. you still can kevhold to great effect, because you get another pre-entry delay every time, but you can't cheese your way through anymore. the setting seems to apply to most alternate modes, like target and level star.