For those who have played TOJ

Thread in 'Discussion' started by makalaka, 17 Sep 2007.

1. What are your thoughts on it?

I like it, personally I think it's better than Tetris DS.

First off, since everyone gets the same piece sequence (from what I could tell) then there are no excuses. If you get something like SZO at the start, EVERYONE gets SZO so nobody gets screwed over by a bad piece sequence.

Singles are cleared very quickly, unlike in Tetris DS, so a misdrop isn't as much of an instant loss as before, and the combo system also helps when trying to clear "bad" garbage.

EXP system > TDS Ranking system, easily. This game rewards you for playing, even by just sitting in a game you get EXP, as opposed to losing a lot of points because the other 3 players ganged up on you (especially important since matches are usually 4-6 players in this game.)

And the statistics graph is nice too... apparently I rule at getting Tetrises, but I'm not so great at finding T-spins, something I need to work on...

Now here's what I DON'T like:

1. Previews. What happened to the other 4? Having to unlock them is lame, having to pay to unlock them is even worse. Please don't turn Tetris into Pokmon.

2. The music. Thankfully you can turn it off.

3. The DAS. Ending this post now before I go nuts.

2. I don't like the idea of an EXP scoring system. I much prefer one where your rating goes down if you lose.

The idea that a player who isn't as good as me can get a higher rating simply because they play a lot more than me isn't something I like.

3. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

The EXP scoring system sounds flawed at first but it's not as bad as it sounds. If you are not good, you will take a LONG time to level up. If you are good, you will level up VERY fast.

Fictional example:

Bad player takes one week to get from level 20-21.

Good player takes one hour to get from level 20-21.

The level experience gets very steep as you go along so if you suck, you're just not going to get anywhere.

The line clear delay really makes this game speedier than TDS. The combo-system is a very interesting system of defense for misdroppers. The player statistics and leaderboards are also very welcomed.

What I don't like:

1. DAS. Painfully slow when you're on a keyboard.

2. Randomizer. Too many duplicates.

3. Previews. Why only 2 previews?

4. Distracting animations. Especially when clearing combos...

5. Music. *shudders*

6. Singleplayer. Nothing new or exciting.

4. exp's for mmorpg nerds.

5. Oh yeah, I also forgot "Hurry Up!". I'm indifferent on it right now, but it makes sense to have it so 4 players don't have to wait all day for 2 other players to finish.

6. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

How do I sign up for TOJ, anyways?

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

A respawning system would also keep players who top out from being bored. Top out: lose 1 point, and the last player to send you garbage earns 1 point. Doesn't Quadra have something like this?

8. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Such a system doesn't give the instant gratification of winning a round. And it also gives the new player a fresh start against perhaps an opponent with a battered field.

9. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Let me guess: you prefer Counter-Strike to standard deathmatch in first-person shooters, right?

10. Cultris Pyruz

Cultris Pyruz Unregistered

The only problem i have with TOJ is the delay and the annoying japanese sounds everytime a line is cleared. Other than that it's just like TetrisDS, well at least for me anyways. I like the extra features like the practice after you die and the game is still in session. It's sweet when the field is cleared and they say "PERFECT." Overall, i think the game is fun and successful.

-Hey what's your nickname on TOJ? Mines is CPoliv.

11. Yes, but then Quadra is closer to "tetris deathmatch", similar to other games that begin with a Q...

The generic term is Clan Arena or round-based Last Man Standing.

And the Hurry Up! reminded me of multiplayer in Bomberman, where the arena gets smaller. That reminds me...

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Mine is DIGITAL TC.

13. Cultris Pyruz

nice 40 line record. I'm gonna try to beat it.

14. Mine is ?????

15. can someone make me an account? i just tried for three hours, and i suck at proxies... [​IMG]

16. Poochy

Poochy Unregistered

Well, if someone's kind enough to offer me their help, I'd like to get an account, too.

17. Cultris Pyruz

Done and done. Beaten by .068 seconds. [​IMG]
    I only used the CW rotation too.

[​IMG]

18. good, now beat mine

then beat the top guy's time

19. Cultris Pyruz

I have no japanese fonts... so which one is you?

That rank one dude is nice nice.

20. Yeah, Poochy I need help with sighning up to.

Oh and what happen the lockjaw 40 lines mode, to fast???

- Jono