Family Tetris

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 17 Dec 2006.

1. Could this be the long awaited sequel to Kids Tetris we've all been hoping for?

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

1-block, 2-block, 3-block, 4-block, so why is there almost never an expert mode with pentominoes in Tetris brand games (except the later levels of Tetris Blast for GB and some parts of Magical Tetris)?

3. Because it's not fun? That doesn't explain the existence of 1-2-3-omino game modes though.

The problem with pentominoes is they really don't play well. They sort of worked in Egg Mania, but in that game they used a reduced set of pentominoes to smooth out the gameplay. They also threw in some smaller ominoes as well.

4. in the book game over, the author kind of implied alexey prefered tetrominoes (maybe in retrospect?) because of the seven variations of tetrominoes, which coincides with millar's magic seven. a good balance if you ask me-- not too easy (how fast i could go with trominoes), not too complex (with pentaminoes, you'll often need to slide).

5. You know, I really don't see the 7 rule applying in any way to tetris play. How exactly are we "remembering 7 items in short term memory"? We're certainly not thinking of 7 pieces at a time when we play. Yes there are 7 piece types, but I don't think it fits the rule at all.

Someone could add 1-2-3 and a select few 5-ominoes to the standard tetris set and honestly it wouldn't be any harder to play. We think of pieces in terms of abstract spatial properties, not their technically unique shapes, so adding more piece types isn't really going to change anything.

6. Already been done, see freepuzzlearena by tepples, which has a game (I forget its exact name) that has the 2 and 3 block pieces as well. It also has "teflon" mode, which is the forerunner to the "6 piece bag" in Lockjaw.

As for size-5 pieces, they are all fairly obnoxious, but the ones that fit within a 3x3 area would probably be the bext (U, X, R, V, Z) except that a lot of those have mirror sets (like L/J and S/Z).

There is another issue of this making pit clears harder, but that's almost a non-issue...

7. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

I assume that with dominoes and trominoes turned on, it gives a 10-piece bag. This would tend to make the 4-block I tetromino rarer, as you'd have one I tetromino for each 36 blocks (4*7 + 2*3 + 1*2) rather than for each 28 blocks.

8. All we need now are agreed names for the smaller pieces, and their rotation methods...

9. You realise that at least Tetris 64 (the weird bio-sensor game) used 1-2-3-4-5 ominoes all at once, right? That game had Sega rotations without wallkicks (TGM uses Sega + wallkicks).

10. No, I didn't realise...

11. they're not all at once in this game. a player chooses which -mino he wants, and the game gives him different sized playfields accordingly.

my guess is no wall kick's for monomino and V tromino. four orientations for 2I (just like 4I). at least left from right 1, right from left 1, and up from down 1 wall kicks for 2I and 3I. though, now that i think about it, i could probably figure it out by watching the videos.

okay that's weird. they spawn all pieces left-center when there's an extra column except for 3I tromino. that's pretty retarded.

12. That has got to be the most uninteresting video I've ever seen.

13. jujube

jujube Unregistered

I think you all know where I stand.