Excogitating on Mechanics

Thread in 'Discussion' started by DrPete, 7 May 2014.

1. THE SCENARIO: an anonymous billionaire has contacted you to make the best falling-sets-of-four-contiguous-blocks game possible, and has agreed to give you unlimited money and resources towards making it happen

what would you include in it?

(this is sort of a followup to this thread which has some great discussion but I felt bad about necroposting in it)

i guess i'll rattle off some half-baked stuff I was ruminating over to get the ball rolling:
    • a more slide-friendly version of step reset:
      Code:
      once per frame:
         if step, reset lock delay, set direction = none
         if direction == none and a direction is held:
            direction = the input direction
         if we would move the piece $direction this frame (due to tapping or DAS), don't reduce lock delay
         else count frame towards lock delay
    • always auto-synchro when a direction is held during rotate, regardless of DAS status
    • ^ and/or bias the artificial center of gravity a a piece has while rotating based on the direction of rotation for pieces where either rotation would produce the same shape, i.e.:

• on the sillier less fundamental side, something like pinball modes that randomly activate occasionally or on a level stop or something. examples:
      Code:
      short-stack mode:
         once per frame, for 600 frames
         score += 20 - stack_height

hold-back mode:
         at start, set a point counter to some fixed value
         reduce it for line clears made while mode active
         at end, award $counter points

nominated piece mode:
         while active, line clears with a nominated piece are awarded double points
         every time you clear, the nominated piece changes

so i would love to know what ideas everyone has

2. Muf

Muf

[​IMG]

realtalk though y'all better get used to hold swapping the next piece with the held piece, kevholding is for scrubs

Last edited: 19 Oct 2015
  3. Online singleplayer that automatically caches replays of everyone's games. Also, every time a player dies, the game would create a save state not far from death.

Every game mode would have 'B-Type' variant where the server randomly gives you one of these near-death game states and challenges you to clear 20 lines or something. The original player can go back and watch the solutions to their difficult situations.