DS homebrew?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by tepples, 13 Aug 2006.

1. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

It appears that most of us on this board have a Nintendo DS system and a Tetris DS Game Card. But is anyone else into "homebrew" (homemade games and apps) for the Nintendo DS? It costs roughly $70 to get started:
    • a CF memory card from Froogle or eBay,
    • a CF writer from Froogle or eBay,
    • a Datel MAX Media Launcher from codejunkies.com ($20 + S&H), and
    • a GBA Movie Player from Froogle or eBay ($25 + S&H).

2. sixb0nes

sixb0nes Unregistered

I was really into gba homebrew for a while but I kind of gave up on it... I still have devkitpro with the nds libraries though, maybe I should get into it. TGM DS sounds tempting :p

3. tetrisdude

tetrisdude Unregistered

i heard people are able to cheat with homebrew.... [​IMG] , i guess you could say thats a downside.

4. Every time I think about homebrew, I think "I'd much rather just buy 3 professional games". But then again I don't exactly know what I'm missing. Aside from rampant piracy, what's the attraction?

5. tepples

The kit I suggested doesn't help with piracy.

DS homebrew lets you use your DS as an MP3 player, a basic video player, an organizer, a music sequencer, etc. If you own any Lucasarts adventure games for your PC, and they work in ScummVM, they may work on the DS.

I only brought this up because there seem to be a lot of people on this board who own a Mac and a DS but no Windows box and no knowledge of how to port free software, and I wondered if porting Lockjaw to the DS would be worthwhile.

6. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I'd seriously consider playing Lockjaw on the DS- what exactly would be involved and how much would I have to spend?

7. tepples

Start by buying the GBA Movie Player ($25 on eBay; usually it'll be something like $12 with $13 shipping). Then buy a CompactFlash card and a cheap CF writer. This will be enough to play small GBA homebrew programs such as Lockjaw: The Overdose and the version of Luminesweeper without music.

Once you get them working, order a passthrough, which allows you to run DS code from the GBA slot. I recommend the MAX Media Launcher from codejunkies.com, which uses the NoPass method. Read the DS section of gbadev forum to learn more.

8. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

so how do you suggest those of us without any source of income to come by theses items?

9. tepples

so how do you suggest those of us without any source of income to come by a DS and a copy of Tetris DS in the first place?

10. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

ehhh, tuche

11. Sure, I'd play LockJaw on the DS. I don't know how often, though, as my SuperCard SD + SuperPass combo is pretty unwieldy. I haven't actually used them much since I got them.

12. tepples

You can install the "FlashMe" firmware hack, and you won't need to carry the SuperPass with you anymore. Or you could put TOD on the cart and be happy with that while I consider whether or not to do the port and how much time to spend on porting vs. how much time to spend on the PC reference version.

13. Doesn't FlashMe require a certain kind of wireless network card?

14. tepples

The NoPass card replaces the role of the wireless card.

15. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

16. Josh

Josh Unregistered

I'm not sure if this is true but I've heard that this doesnt work for the DS lite. Can anyone confirm this?

17. tepples

DS homebrew works just fine on a DS Lite. First generation boot methods (PassMe and WiFiMe) don't work on a Lite, but NoPass cards work fine.

18. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Could a homebrew setup allow music customization with TDS?

19. tepples

Do you want to change the music for single player or multiplayer?

20. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Multiplayer