describe your "training" regimen... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by BenMullen, 2 Jun 2010.

1. my personal regimine revolves around one simple soncept: If your almost dead, your probably training! that is to say; playing the hardest levels inevitably makes you better.

I cant speak for most versions of the game but i can for NES and whats "hard" is (obvously) level 19, and tetrising thereon... this is the primary thing to do!

I also do a thing i lovingly call ladders (named after the football drill) on B-mode. I do 19-2 folled by 18-4 followed by 15-5. All these are almost EXACTLY as difficult as one another and all are quite hard. Doing all three in a row i call a hat trick (after the hockey thing)

I also watch the games of the masters; jonas and harry very carefully and try to learn all i can as well as watching my own and trying to adjust...

2. Muf

Muf

Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

I take this to mean you start at level 19 when training? For NES Tetris that might very well work because it's mostly a long marathon (at least A-type is) and the levels before 19 hardly matter. Speaking for myself as a TGM player, it's better to start from level 0 and experience the whole game over and over again instead of just focusing on the second half or the very end. Training specific areas generally causes very lopsided skills which probably won't lead to a very good overall score. A notable exception is the m-roll (Instant invisibility, which is the icing on the cake for TGM, performed at the very end of the game), where the skills required that are so radically different from all other forms of Tetris, along with its mind-boggling difficulty, make it so that you pretty much have to train it intensively for at least some period of time if you want any shot at completing it.

Everybody does this. To see how it's done, to have something to compare and aspire to, to learn tricks and just to keep the faith that you yourself will also one day play that well, watching Tetris videos is very important. Of course it's even better to watch people play in person and see things unabridged (countless games of even the best pros end up on the cutting room floor), as well as to be able to see the player's reaction and talk to them about what's important; but aside from a few "hotspots" (Seattle, SoCal, Tokyo) it's hard to meet Tetris masters outside of special events.

3. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

I'm very freeform actually. I just have fun for the most part. To the point where I didn't really practice the m-roll but was able to complete it.

4. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

Muf beat me to the punch with a better post. :)

I think the only thing I'd add is that playing different modes can help change your perspective in ways that improves your play in others.

5. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

As already written.. play often but with frequent small breaks (Death mode might be preferable with this, I suppose I have a bias), watch videos of others playing to optimize learning (not only people 'better' than you are, since watching people make 'mistakes' helps alot too, and you being able to identify them, without being under pressure to perform in game), maybe acquire an anxiety disorder in order to sharpen senses and lower response time, I don't really know. That last one might not be a good idea though, it ruins you in other ways.

6. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

When I really want to train, I use clones to play at a speed I'm not comfortable with (currently Death 400, which is a little bit faster than level 19 on NES), and I try to play up to the point I finally find myself comfortable.

7. Muf

Muf

Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

:awe:

8. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

I actually made some calculation to say that---- waaaiit, wrong numbers, that was for Death 200. My bad. So

9. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

I just play a lot of TGM. See signature.

10. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

i sold my eye to a cyclops so that i could see invisible mino's with my other one. I sacrificed my legs to the devil in exchange for faster finger tapping skills.

Practice? Hah. i laugh at ur petty "training".

11. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

And yet still no invisible roll performance...

12. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

you'll see it soon enough (ill just get kitaru's tas and say "IT WAS MEEEEEEEE")

13. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

spend about 5-8 hours a day watching replays, studying rotation/kick charts, and playing the game.

14. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

Most days I just play Lockjaw or TGM for an hour or two every day. Usually late at night so people don't bug me, lol

15. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

I play, and if I do well, then I keep playing. If I do bad, I ragequit, maybe throw something, then take a break and come back to it later.

Rinse and repeat.

16. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I play in thinking that my joystick is the face of kevin.

17. Re: describe your "training" regimine... that is to say, what makes you all so good?

Ragequitting is extremely unhealthy to one's success and one's continued relationship with the game. Just saying :p

18. DeHackEd

DeHackEd green Gm

Mostly I play casually but with intent on doing well. If I don't, oh well - at least I can chalk up a "Master mode clear!" even if I flunk a few requirements.

For example, I very rarely finish within 10 seconds of my best TGM1 record because I don't stack to the sky for the first 3 sections - that's too dangerous. But I can still get within 30 seconds half the time and that's not bad. It helps teach consistency. Every once in a while I'll say "Okay, record setting time!" and live on the edge.

19. orz

orz

i made a thread like this a while ago and no one responded to it screw you guys and screw this existence i quit tetris forever goodbye cruel block world

20. its coz ur not a nes fag. thats why no one cares, orz.