Buy Tetris DS for only $80 on Amazon

Thread in 'Discussion' started by caffeine, 26 Mar 2008.

1. Weird, there's no shortage in my area.

Just goes to show you they must have sold a bajillion copies.

2. I think I saw it for 29.99 yesterday...

3. Yeah, I've seen it just at the standard RRP.

4. maybe this is limited to usa.

5. Still available in Amazon.co.jp

6. jujube

jujube Unregistered

if only they had made a bajillion and one copies...or had distributed them more effectively.

7. I think the point is that not enough people in the U.S. were buying it, so now it's out of print here. Which is really pretty crummy.

8. So THAT'S why I couldn't find it at Best Buy a few weeks ago. That would really suck, but with WiiWare Tetris coming out in the summer, I don't really care anymore.

9. I was waiting on someone to hint at this. Innocent understocking mistake... or evil Nintendo scheme to sell more Wii titles later on.

10. When I first read this message I looked like this: [​IMG]
    So in reply to this message, I've searched for the prices of Tetris ds in stores (here in the Netherlands, Europe).

Here it costs 'only' 45, but in dollars that would be +/- $70,65.

So probably the prices are so high because of the weak dollar [​IMG]

11. Tetris DS in USA retail is 29.99.

12. I hate how your games and consoles are so much cheaper than ours.

15 is like budget price for a current-gen game.

13. Just import.. the US dollar is really cheap now too. [​IMG]

14. jujube

jujube Unregistered

Tetris DS sales chart for weeks 1-99 after release:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?ga ... S%20-%20DS

the sales from around week 17-99 are very consistent, and according to the Tetris DS page on the same site there have been 400,000 sales since week 99. to me it seems like a bad decision to stop production in the US. sure they're going to release tetris on Wii, but why not let people buy both? should i buy another Nintendo product without any guarantee a popular game (which i may or may not be interested in when it's released) will be available when i want to get it? what if i want to wait for a price to go down instead of up?

15. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Likewise, weren't Tetris and Tetris 2 available on Game Boy after Tetris & Dr. Mario and Tetris 2 respectively came out on Super NES?

Then you're in the same boat as people looking for Harvest Moon (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Rez (PS2) (before a third party fronted money for a reprint), and other games that have since become collectible. Wait until after you're dead; by then, the copyright should have expired.

16. this is wrong just on a philosophical stand point. I mean having tetris not readily available for a nintendo handheld is just sad.

17. jujube

jujube Unregistered

it will happen in Japan too.

one day Utada Hikaru will swap her TDS cart with Planet Puzzle League, and a couple hours later she'll be looking for her teeny tiny TDS cart, and she won't be able to find it, and she'll look in every store and won't find a new copy, and she'll be very very sad.

[​IMG]
    (saddest looking Utada i could find)

18. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Months later, I just realized something:

From the release (1Q 2006) to the first post in this topic took about two years. I would imagine that such a two-year license is intended to let TTC update the guideline, such as removing rewards for kick T-spins.

19. Could it not just be that 2 years is a standard planned length of time for when sales will most likely no longer merit the production of the game?