BIG golden square aka CUBESTORM multiminio game

Thread in 'Discussion' started by herc, 11 Dec 2006.

1. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Wow, that looks great. So i've got some questions for you...

1. Can i download it?

2. Do you plan to release the source?

3. Did you use all cross platform libraries?

4. What rotation system does it use?

2. i'm trying my best to finish a new alpha release. but beware, its still ALPHA - loads of bugs etc.

@1. give me some more days, then i will put that new alpha on my website

@2. its opensource, i will upload a new sources with the new alpha.

@3. all crossplatform libs, but it will get a bit nasty to port it to linux, but in theory it is possible: libsdl, openAL, oggvorbis, libcurl, opengl. so not a single win32 only lib [​IMG]
    @4. hum. i'm working on it, at the moment i have wall kick, finite lock delay. what would be your favorite incarnation of rotation system?

and big thanks to that great community here - before coming across this site, i didnt even know abot SRS, 20G and such [​IMG]

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you can document TNT's rotation system in detail on Tetriswiki, go ahead and use that. Otherwise, most of us would like to say TGM rotation and SRS.

4. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

Ya i would go with TGM rotation. Although DTET's drs is pretty interesting.

5. yeah, srs and/or ars are both solid, easy to pick up systems.

6. propeller

propeller Unregistered

Looks really good! Best bet is to probably start out with TGM rotation then evolve it from there. Are you planning on putting in 20G?

7. at the moment i have:

* DOWN key: move down fast (approx 0.5 blocks per frame), if dropped, start lock delay. DOWN key again --> instant lock.

* SPACE key: tile drops with 9.81G, can still be moved while dropping. if landed, lock delay starts. DOWN key: instant lock. SPACE key again: instant drop in 1 frame and instant lock. so if you make a "double klick" with the space key, you get instant drop and lock

* ALT Gr key: instant drop and instant lock (is this 20G?)

of course, keys are changeable to anything you want. thats the great thing about libSDL : it hase quite fine keyboard handling. but badly, at the moment it does not detect my impact rumble game pad...

but if i manage to get gamepads working with SDL, how would you default-configure the buttons? left side, ok, move the tetromino.

right side: i have here buttons that are numbered 1,2,3,4:

Code:
     (2) 
    (1) (4)
     (3) 

what is this normally ? 1==A, 3 ==B or what? and what should these buttons do?

1=rotate

3=drop

4=rotate counterclockwise

2=20G

??

8. You're practically playing pot-luck on the order of teh buttons. Best thing you can do is write a short program to see what order teh buttons are in. I don't know what language you're writing it in, but you'll likely get a bitfield with all of the buttons in. Just tell teh program to print its current value as you press various buttons.

As for when you get ready to release... you might want to let the user change the button config.

9. @lardarse: i think you got me wrong: i know that one cannot thrust on button numbering internally as usb drivers etc could do that differently. of course a config menu is needed to train/learn the buttons by just pressing them. thats obvious.

i was just asking how one would put the functions on a gamepad in general. i think most gamepads have a standard arrangement with four buttons on the right side. i was just asking how these most of you would like to use: the leftmost on the right side for rotation? the bottom-most for drop? the rightmost for something? anyway, i still need to add gamepad support...

10. The layout varies depending on platform, but here are two examples.

TGM3 on the arcade control panel goes like this:

Code:
     (A) (B) (C)
    (D)
    A = Rotate counterclockwise
    B = Rotate clockwise
    C = Rotate counterclockwise (Redundancy; for quick 180 turns by slamming both A+C)
    D = Hold

And Tetris DS and TGMA uses something like this
    (button names for this diagram uses the one for SNES/NDS; the name/location mapping is different in Xbox 360)
    Code:
    (L) (R)
    ----
     (X)
    (Y) (A)
     (B)
    B = Rotate counterclockwise

A = Rotate clockwise

Y = Rotate clockwise (TGMA only)

X = Use Item (TDS only)

L/R = Hold

In most recent games, d-pad/joystick down will move the piece down (soft drop), and up will instantly drop the piece (hard drop). Behavior details beyond that varies, however.

When soft dropping:

• Games adhering to Guideline 2005 tend to soft drop at a fairly slow fixed speed, something like 0.5G. If the native fall speed exceeds that, pushing down has no effect.
    • Some recent games adhering to either guideline 2005 or 2006 seem to add to the drop speed, instead of temporarily replacing the drop speed to a fixed value. So the speed will increase whatever the native fall speed is. Eventually, the sum of the native and added speed reaches 20G, so pushing down will instantly drop the piece all the way down.
    • Most Guideline-compliant games do not lock the piece when a piece is soft-dropped to the bottom. However, Tetris DS (Guideline 2005) and Tetris: New Century (Guideline 2006) has an additional feature that locks the piece if the down key is released and pushed again while the piece is touching the ground/stack.
    • TGM games except TGM ACE (ACE follows Guideline 2005) soft drop at a fixed 1G. If the native fall speed exceeds that, pushing down has no effect. TGM games lock the piece when it is soft-dropped to the bottom.
    When hard dropping:
    • All versions of guideline compliant games lock the piece when hard dropped.
    • TGM games do not lock the piece when it is hard dropped.
    Selecting the "World" rule mode in TGM3 will make the game conform to Guideline 2002, with non-locking soft drop and locking hard drop. The soft drop speed however stays at 1G, a faster value than other Guideline 2002-compliant games. Perhaps fall speed was not governed as strictly as it is now in Guideline 2002 .

11. tepples

Mine has six, as it's an N64 controller. But even among four-button pads, they're all the X button. Don't assign actions to positions and let the users assign positions to button numbers; just let the user assign actions directly to button numbers.

If joysticks under SDL are anything like joysticks under Allegro, then you might want to try reading pcjoy.c of Lockjaw for inspiration.

12. @tepples & needle: thanks for advice and help.

though i have implemented gamepad support, i got frustrated about the low precision of my impulse gamepad. so i played around and put to gether an

afaik new(?) gameplay variation to tetris:

instead of clearing lines, fuse pieces of same color to bigger pieces. if more than 12 blocks per piece (3 fused tetrominoes), pieces get removed from playfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfNYqBPeZM (youtube video)

http://www.coreloop.com/dump/fuse_tetris_xvid.avi (800x600 hq vid)

http://www.coreloop.com/dump/gravytris.exe (no warranties: its still full of bugs)

what do you think?

13. cdsboy

cdsboy Unregistered

For tetris there are really only 2 gamepads that i think work really really well. One being the N64 Controler, the other being the PS2 controler. Both of them are very high quality if you don't buy any third party controler. All you have to do is buy a converter, and at the controlers are now it will cost about the same as a slightly lower quality usb controler.

On a slightly differnt note, i really like the way that game mode looks. I think it would be a welcomed change from the standard tetris, although i think it would take a while before you could really be proficient at stacking and clearing the differnt pieces.

Also i really like the way you put my dragon in there [​IMG] !

14. @cdsboy: oh yeah! thanks again for that hq-image [​IMG]

15. tepples

Both The Next Tetris and Puyo Puyo use something like that. Would it be called Puyoliss?

16. how unfair [​IMG] every thing kreeping out of my mind was already done in one or another way...

@tepples: after you mentioned the tetris ds touch puzzles, i was really impressed by the effort that was put into tetris DS. that raised the probability me to get a NDS quite significantly [​IMG] thanks for letting me know!

17. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

18. new, non-obstrusive (experimental) gameplay-feature: 2.5D Tetris.

you may now rotate the play-piece around the x- and y axis, too. (z-axis is axis of rotation in classic tetris)

rotations around z -axis are done with 90 clock / counterclockwise,

rotations around x,y-axis are done with 180.

this basically results in flipping the piece horizontally or vertically.

to try this out, download latest gravytris and select predefined keyboard profile "expert":

y-rotate cclockwise 90

x-rotate clockwise 90

c-rotate around y axis by 180 cclockwise

v-rotate around x axis by 180 cclockwise

right Ctrl: gravitygun

up: hard drop

gravytris v07.01.22:

* http://www.coreloop.com/dump/gravytris.exe

* new features:

* predefined keyboard profiles

* configurable keys

* highscore upload fixed

* joystick/pad support (needs some more work, though)

* mouse control: click to remove color-clusters, drag to move already dropped pieces

* fullscreen modes

* OpenAL: audio device now selectable (please switch to "generic software" if you have audio problems)

(if something goes wrong with fullscreen or other settings, please remove file: "gravytris.exe.dat" )

p.s. i have slowed down rotation-animation way too much.. just to show the idea behind 2.5d tetris. will add an option that allows adjustment of rotation speed tomorrow.