Being a Competitive Player

Thread in 'Discussion' started by milkolate, 16 Feb 2009.

1. I currently find that I have a lot of free time in my hands so I have decided to learn how to be a competitive Tetris player. The only version of Tetris that I have played is the Gameboy version. So I'm pretty much a clean slate.

1. How do I start? Which version should I use for "training"? I have an emulator with Tetris loaded (since I still own the original cart, but my Gameboy is busted). So basically I only have a PC with me. But I do plan to buy a DS Lite within the year.

2. How do I train? Aside from practicing a lot, what specific points should I practice for?

Thanks a lot!

2. m:)

m:) Unregistered

im by no means a pro..
    but i say checkout heboris and texmaster that you can find on this site.

those games are both epic fun and insanely hard compared to the slandered issue western tetris

tgm is great..

if your looking for battle tetris.. dunno maybe something else maybe not.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I hope you REALLY have a lot of free time AND motivation..There is many style of "competitif player"..

Maybe you wish develop a strong technical ability, in this case, search for TGM1 and TGM2.

Otherwise, you can go for a fast and agressive style, you could play lockjaw for his famous 40 lines burst challenge, or choose Heboris to have the TGM3 clone which is more optimised for fluid and fast styles, and a bit less technicaly boring than the 2 first TGM..

PS : ignore those who talk to you about "texmaster"..This fucking game is hard to configure and very stressing to play, you will have more fun in playing Heboris.

PS2 : PM me if you want me to introduce to these games and give you links, because I understand your position of GB player who never knew any of these complicated Tetris game..and even me sometime, I can not find what I want on this forum.

Hmm this is very interesting, do you accept to be my new padawan and follow my formation ?? I think after many attempts, I finaly found the perfect good program of training for you my new (next) cobaye.. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. If by competitive you mean compete against other players, I'd stay away from TGM. Tetris competitions are few and far, but when the do come around they're most likely to be in standardized SRS type games. Since you only have a PC, you're pretty much limited to Facebook Tetris and that Japanese one, which I hear ain't so great anymore. Personally, I've been honing my skills with Blockbox and hi-games.net. Those games are fun!

BTW, you know that competition I won last year? I got a 1099 tax form in the mail the other day for $7000. So if you want to beat me in Tetris winnings, I'm officially claiming $7000 and not $2000. =b

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

ha ha..What I was saying..
    And you will see a lot of many other player who will speak to you in chineses terms..

First, maybe it would be more subtilt to explain him what is SRS..

Trust me milkolate, you can become a powerfull player with TGM.. [​IMG]

7000 $ ??!! [​IMG]

7. I'd go for trying out Blokkendoos (aka Blockbox) on http://neo.spelpunt.nl
    It allows VS play, and it has leaderboards for all the modes. It is currently in Dutch only (where has Deniax been lately? [​IMG] ), but it's not too hard to figure out most of the stuff.

As has been said, if by competitive you mean rankings for single-player modes, then your best bet would be to go for the TGM series and get something like Texmaster. Also Lockjaw for the 40-lines pure speed leaderboard.

If you mean competitive against other people, then aforementioned Blockbox, or also Tetris Online, which is Japanese only but is probably the best official multiplayer version for the PC. It's also free.

8. Aw, you said a lot of things that I do not understand [​IMG]

9. If by competitive you mean compete against time and learn how to change your playing style to become better and faster in general I would highly recommend Texmaster or Heboris or even Lockjaw.
    If you want to compete against others I would recommend Blockbox / Blokkendoos, but you can also play this game alone and it has 40 lines mode which is fun.
    (Requires Java, click Anmeelden and register an account, then go to Blokkendoos. Then PM Deniax of this forum and ask him to change your account to have VIP-status. [​IMG] )

For something portable, Lockjaw is available for GBA and Nintendo DS. There's also a great TGM3 clone for NDS, but we can't distribute links for that.

And don't listen to Amnesia, Texmaster isn't hard to configure at all, it's all pre-configured and only allows you to change basic settings like display name and controls, not the gameplay..
    Lockjaw or Heboris would be harder to configure if you consider all the customization options that a new player won't have any idea what they do.

10. I shall believe in the power of TGM (though I have never heard of it before) [​IMG]

11. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

If you see a term you don't understand, it's probably in the TC glossary

12. If you want to compete against other players and not just be a total show-off then I'd say you should stay away from TGM. Try some Tetris DS or Tetris Party.

In the end it is not as much what game you play, though. Mostly you just need to learn the mechanics of modern Tetris.

13. You can still compete against other players in TGM. Even if you mean directly in versus, there's no reason why TGM blocks that avenue off. There are plenty of TGM players who are equally good in VS matches. Maybe with SRS they'd lose some speed due to switching rotation systems, but there's no real reason why they can't play. I'm primarily a TGM player and I still do perfectly well on Blokkendoos and even TOJ where I'm forced to use SRS.

And why say "total show-off" as if it's a bad thing. Isn't this the sort of performance most of us aspire to, regardless of which series we play?

And you can play a Tetris game where multiplayer is the primary mode and still be a show-off on YouTube.

14. SRS is more standard in the west than ARS. ARS plus 20G to most western Tetris noobs seems "weird" and since it is weird it also becomes more impressive. That's why I think TGM is more for show than competition. Since there are fewer ARS players there is also less competition to be had. Sure, it's relatively easy to switch rotation system but for most people they just take what they know and stick with it.

15. Fewer ARS players in general maybe, but I'd say in terms of the hardcore community and elite level of play things are reasonably even. There aren't really that many official SRS games that open themselves out to ultra high-speed levels of play. Tetris DS was quite good competitively, but I wouldn't say that there was much of a community for it. I certainly didn't manage to find anything much more organised that anything at TC or Blockstats. The competition was there while the leaderboards worked, but it still wasn't that fantastic.

It is personal choice though really. The natures of competitiveness for SRS and ARS are different, though I don't think it's arguable that one is more competitive than the other.

16. Sorry for being such a n00b here, but how different are these versions? I always thought that there is a basic competence to Tetris that you can master whichever version you play. But with these variations (between ARS and SRS), it seems like there is no such thing as "mastering Tetris".

17. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I wouldn't say it's ARS vs. SRS but rather ARS singleplayer vs. SRS multiplayer. Games with ARS are famous for their insane difficulty brought about by the integration of 20G, decreasing delays, and strict rotation behaviors into the core singleplayer gameplay. Games with SRS tend to focus more on multiplayer with an emphasis on lenient gravity, T-Spins, and whatnot. These two styles conflict in many areas as you will find out and mastering even one will take significant effort. That's not to say that there are no overlapping skill sets because there are, but realize that there are habits that are quite difficult to iron out once you dive into one style.

18. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

ARS is a lot more similar to old school tetris than SRS is.

Old school tetris: pieces stick as soon as they hit the stack. logn line clear delay to give you tiem to think (on game boy at least) pieces are slow to start dropping. No wallkicks. Rotation always fails if the new spot would overlap anything. Random really means random. You can go over 100 with no i if you are unlucky. Many old school games eventually become unplayable due to pieces sticking before you can move them.

ARS: insanely fast at higher levels. lock delay allows you to easily slide pieces down a pyramid where they would just stick in old school. Entry delay gives you time to charge up an auto-repeat if you need it. pieces start the same way they do in classic. soft drop locks. Hard drop does not. Simple wallkicks exist. pieces will get nudged to the right or left if they don't quite fit. Modern ARS (TI) also allows limited upward kicking with the I and T pieces. The game remlains playable at maximum speeed, but is still a big challenge. History-based randomizer makes long streaks of S and Z unlikely, and usually doesn't starve you of your I liek old school tetris games can, but is still unpredictable. Multiplayer garbage copies the cleared lines and send them to the opponent, minus the last piece. 0/2/3/4. CLean stacking is most important, because recovery is difficult.

SRS: pieces are flipped compared to old school. As long as you move or rotate a piece it will not stick (limited in newer games, though, and in multiplayer). Many flexible wall and floorkicks let you climb pieces over obstructions to an extent by rotating them. Slow auto-repeat, no entry delay usually. All pieces except square have four orientations. Hard drop locks instantly, soft drop does not lock, so you can slide or spin afer a soft drop. Garbage is usually lines with a single hole in them, duplicated a few times, with the position of the hole changing about 1/3rd of the time. The game hands out one of each piece in random order, then hands out another of each piece in a new random order. Guarantees you NEVER go for more tha 12 pieces without an I, but can sometimes stick you with SZZS at the "bag seam" or something similar. If you picked up tetris DS you are very likely to be able to clear marathon mode with a bit of abusing move reset and some practice. Survival is easier, but playing rapidly is harder. Even when the pieces are dropping super fast, you still have plenty of time to move them around obstancles with the kicks. Recovery is much easier in SRS, and many moves that are misdrops in ARS are twist setups in SRS.

It is easier to go from ARS to SRS then form SRS to ARS, in my opinion.

19. (and be bored to death)

Also, SRS rewards T-spins: they have a better line-cleared/garbage sent ratio. T-spin focused setup is requiered to play with the most skilled players.

20. Hhhmm.. so which Tetris variant should I start with?