Are there any new Tetris games coming out?

Thread in 'Discussion' started by edhuge, 9 Jun 2009.

1. Has anyone heard of any new Tetris games coming out? It seems like we're due for something new.

2. I haven't heard of anything worth getting excited about. Why not play something new from the extensive back catalogue?

3. K-J N.

K-J N. Unregistered

There was a recent Tetris clone released on the DS as part of a compilation called Best of Arcade Games DS, doubt it's any good though.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Video.

4. Whoa! How the hell did that get past the radars of TTC, Namco and Taito?

5. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Taito did not invent Breakout; Atari did. As for the Pac-Man clone, I seem to remember that in Atari v. Philips, the bone of contention was that the Munchkin character looked too much like Pac-Man. But the character in Labyrinth looks different, more like the dinosaur head fossil icon from Animal Crossing.

But I agree that this would make an interesting test case, as there are now two Tetris-like games for DS licensed by Nintendo.

6. this topic wants discussion.

7. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Taito DID invent Arkanoid, which is CLEARLY the game that is getting copied there.

And for crying out loud, it's the SAME MAZE for pacman. I'd say any reasonable common law court would determine that these are all blatant clones.

8. Muf

Muf

At least they got the colour of the I-piece right.

9. i'm seriously wondering what the tetris company is up to. (hey pajitnov...u are henks bitch.)
    i want a new tetris game and it better be from nintendo or something.

10. A Tetris DSiWare title would be nice, especially if it plays more like TDS than T Party.

11. Nintendo mentioned that a DSiWare Tetris is something they would like to do.

http://touch-ds.jp/dsi/interview/1_4.html

12. exactly what i want. i remember iwata mentioned a "simple tetris game" a long time ago. i am not sure if it comes from this interview. anyone know when this interview was published?

13. It's the same interview.. it was published back in october 2008.

14. It seems G-Mode agrees with you, and hence they're releasing their umpteenth Tetris for japanese cellphones.

http://www.g-mode.jp/appli/vs/tetris-league/

The gradient on the pieces makes it look Arika:ish, colours are wrong though.

15. Hmm, I remember that flaming T piece logo from the Tetris Cup.

16. they twittered: @Portable_Gaming I would like to clarify that the title is not related to Tetris Friends. It's a separate initiative for Tetris Online, Inc.

which is good news. it's not tetris friends and it sounds like it's online.

17. Muf

Muf

XNA makes baby jesus cry.