About blockstats.org

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Sully, 19 May 2006.

1. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Is anyone's rating in the "find your rank" right? Mine is off by over a hundred points. I'm up to date on the nintendo leaderboard, though.

Perhaps he just isn't updating frequently?

2. Nick15

Nick15 Unregistered

It works for me...

3. Guest

Guest Unregistered

The stats are updated every 24 hours from about 2am to 6am CST. At the moment, the top 10 doesn't work during that update period. I would update faster, except I have no interest in pissing Nintendo off (loading 2,000 pages a day might have that result if I'm not careful). The graphs do the same thing.

Let me know if you'd like to see any other features with this.

4. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Would it be much more labor intensive to show the top 50 or even 100?

It boggles my mind that Nintendo can't do ths sort of thing. Their leaderboard is structured rather foolishly.

As for my rating- your site shows me at 7382. Two nights ago, I stopped playing at 7425. Then I played briefly last night and stopped at 7507. I got in a single game this morning to put me at 7510. If your site updated early this morning, I guess it pulled 7382 from the Nintendo leaderboard, which must have been behind in updating? I don't recall checking it last night, but I'm up to date on the Nintendo board now.

5. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

I suppose there's no reason I couldn't set it to update leaders more often than the rest of the field (perhaps the top 50)... Except that I removed the timestamps from everything cause i was doing it once every 24 hours. Guess I'll add that back in... Should be in by tomorrow

Let me know if you have any other suggestions for the site... I'm working on caffiene to try to let me join forums and wiki with him [​IMG]

6. Guest

Guest Unregistered

funny to see the the_tool block shape on the front page... [​IMG]

7. You fail to capture the #1 player right now.

Also, I can't search for myself (Jo). Your alphabetized sorting should place complete words ABOVE words that continue longer.

8. Sully

Sully Unregistered

TGM-HoLiC isn't on the N intendo leaderboard anymore. It looks like there's a problem with 5 silver stars level 1 (9001-9250), where he probably should be showing up.

9. View the source, it appears they run Java for managing the server rankings and aparrently they never handled one-person rankings or (more likey) they just forgot to handle that high of a level.

<shrug>

10. TGM-Liem

TGM-Liem Unregistered

Oh.. nice site.. I haven't played in a few days... maybe I should try to climb up a bit =)

TGM-Liem

11. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

I don't "fail" to capture anything. At the moment, the leaderboard on blockstats (as well as all user stats) updates once per day, over a 4 hour period, early in the morning central time. I had a request made today to have the top 50 people update more frequent, and I'll do my best to honor that, but there's no way I could possibly capture every change unless:

1) Nintendo contacts me and kindly offers me access to their databases

2) Nintendo tells me that I can flood there server will thousands of requests per second (this is why I only have it updating daily... Because for me, it takes over 2000 page loads to capture everyone on a given day. Which I could do really fast, but would prefer Nintendo NOT to ban my ip address if I want to continue to provide this service)

I'll keep finding ways to help it improve though

12. Thanks for fixing the search... I can see myself now.

It revealed a different problem:

Clicking my name reveals a much crappier player named Jo.

13. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

Odd. My search gives off a "null" result.

14. jjdb210

jjdb210 Unregistered

What did you type in that gave you null? Always looking for the bugs that might be in the system.

15. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I'm not showing up at all now.

16. TGM-Liem

TGM-Liem Unregistered

Are there any Caps in your nickname? Its case sensitive...

17. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Weird. That was it. I definitely don't recall using a capital "s" yesterday.

18. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

Phydeaux

It's what I have for my username. Hm.

19. Phydeaux

Phydeaux Unregistered

It's up and in now. Thanks.

20. cosmonaut

cosmonaut Unregistered

yeah, i think the best thing that could happen is to show a top 50 or 100 or to maybe have a top 1000 separated into groups of 100... if that's not a huge problem.