A question for japan guys

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Amnesia, 26 Mar 2007.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

Hello,

I have a question in my mind, I watch Naruto actually, I'm at the episode 135...

My friend made me notice Naruto finish almost of his sentences by a thing like "TE BA YO !!"..

He is the only caracter who speaks with that..

Can you explain to me what is it?

Only for curiousity.. [​IMG]

2. This isn't even vaguely related to Tetris. [​IMG]

It's no big deal, but please don't make more topics like this.

3. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

4. Cubicz

Cubicz Unregistered

don't be so pedantic. It's obvious nich wrote that without putting in any real thought (it's just a forum title). The creation of this thread was a faux pas, and ct was right to do what he did.

5. I'm with Tepples. This is supposed to be a forum for a community of Tetris players, not just for discussion of Tetris-related things. If it happens that multiple Tetris players wish to discuss Naruto, so be it!

To answer your question, Amnesia, "tte ba!" is used at the end of a sentence to add emphasis or excitement. "Yo" is similar, but mostly just for emphasis. Several characters in different animes append one or the other after almost everything they say, but Naruto is the only one who uses both.

6. I didn't lock/delete/edit anything. I just don't think this should be encouraged. We have like 1 Japanese poster and this sure won't encourage more, and also this thread has no general appeal whatsoever.

I can see what Caithness is saying, but to me that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about "I'm lazy answer this offtopic question for me."

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=naruto+%22te+ba+yo%22&meta=

That wasn't so hard was it? [​IMG]

7. The Japanese language in speech has a trait of allowing random short sound sequences to be added to the end of sentences without disrupting the intended meaning much. While not grammatically correct, the act is common practice and not deemed strange.

This results in authors occasionally giving "flavor" to characters by defining their own unique line-endings. Naruto's "-ttebayo" does contain some meaning in that it is a fragment of a verbal expression signifying excitement, but it has been used so many times its meaning has pretty much worn away.

Other examples include inserting "nya" (equivalent of "meow") into sentences to express speech of an anthropomorphic cat, appending "pyon" (onomatopoeia for jumping) to sentences to express rabbits or frogs, and so on. Yes, in English that sounds pretty awkwardboing, but somehowboing, in Japanese it works outboing.

And no, this thread doesn't belong here.

8. i thought it was at least educational. i watched this movie "babel" the other day, and man japan is interesting.

9. Oh god I'm getting Animal Crossing flashbacks. *twitches*

10. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

OK !

Thank you everybody who have answered me!

[​IMG]
    And sorry Colour_thief! But I knew there is a little number of Japan here so I profited to ask here my question!

And It's right, the better thing I could have done was searching on google..

[​IMG]

You seem to hate Naruto..Isn't it? [​IMG]

11. If Nick can post a picture of his new car on the front page of tetriconcept.com, I don't see why Amnesia can't ask a question about the Japanese language in the forum.

12. B.G.

B.G. Unregistered

Technique to emphasize a character

dont you know Di gi charat?