A modest Tetronimo control scheme proposal.

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Zaphod77, 9 Jan 2008.

1. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

SRS is a very intersting system, and te ability to maneuver pieces across the pile with well times rotations is very useful for continuing to play. However, infinite spin is BAD, and infinite floorkicks allow for infinite spin even under step lock.

So I propose a 4 button variant of the basic SRS system that will accomplish the following goals.

1) re-introduce Zangi-moves, because they are wonderful for time attackers.

2) remove Infinity.

3) preserve all kicks.

4) increase speed of expert play.

A and B are the basic rotate buttons.

D is hold button.

C is the SONIC button. it changes move left, move right, and move down (which is non locking under SRS) to be sonic while held. with this button down, tapping or holding left or right will cause the piece to instantly shift to the left or right as far as possible, with one exception. If gravity is higher then 10g, it will NOT skip over a hole. This creates a new type of reverse Zangi-move. with down and up swapped, if the sonic button is held down. It also means a piece can be placed in any colum within 2 taps at most (and possibly with one!)

A piece can cover 567, 56, 5, 6, or 4567 at initial spawn (if IRS is in, and it should ALWAYS be in). Lets take the i piece. Now whther it is in colum 5 alone or 6 alone is chosen by direction of initial rotation. now we walk through the ways to get the piece into all colums.

Rotate counter clock, sonic left=1

sonic left, rotate counterclock=2

sonic left, rotate clock=3

Rotate counter clock, tap left=4

Rotate counterclock. 5.

reverse for the other side. Se the power at which any column can be nearly instantly selected?

The square take 2 taps to place in 23, 34, 78, or 89. This can be fixed by giving the rotate button a unique function with squares. Rotating a square shall move it left or right, depending on whic direction it is rotated, which will bring the number of taps down to 1 for any spot.

Working this out for the other pieces is left as an exercise to the reader.

This provides a very high degree of finesse not found in any other system. For sub-20g play it virtually eliminates the need to even try to abuse infinite spin to accomplish any move whatsoever. Hyper speed play becomes even more possible.

We all know the t-spin triple got nerfed. this is the right thing to do. There's some debate on if SRS should even include the move in the first place, but i say leave it in, but not count it as a twist, because it's already a triple. Ony soubles and singles should ever be counted as a t-spin, because the piece cannot normally form a triple.

Now for the issue of infinite spin. Use step lock. Use step lock. Use step lock. Motion shall not break lock. Rotation itself shall not break lock Floor kicks ARE allowed, BUT they will only reset the lock delay once, until the piece drops below the level at which the previous floor kick happened! Flow as follows.

1) T lands sideways.

2) rotate to up pointing. this resets lock delay because the center of rotation gets to drop.

3) rotate back to sideways. Floor kick resets lock delay because center of rotation is moved up.

4) rotate back to pointing up. yet another lock delay reset by drop of center of rotation.

5) rotate back to sideways. floor kick allowed, BUT lock delay is NOT reset this time, because the line number at which the center of rotation was at has not progressed past the position of the last floor kick! it must be moved to a lower position on the field before you can reset the lock delay with another floorkick.

You can work your way up above obstacles with floor kicks. but this will NOT allow infinite spin.

Note that SRS doesn't specify the bag.

The two most balanced algorithms are 7 piece bag, and 4 piece history avoid. Bag allows for 4 in a row snake block serieses, and any piece to come back to back on the bag division with a 1 in 7 chance. 4 piece history makes back to back identical pieces very rare, but allows for droughts to happen. 4 piece history interacts very well with 3 piece preview, because all 4 pieces are on the screen, and thus the 4 least likely pieces to enter the preview queue are known at all times. However, 7 piece bag guarantees an even distribution of pieces, while 4 piece history avoid does not. History avoid makes it harder to play forever. I think history avoid is the better algorithm. I think most TGM players will agree.

2. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Anyone remember the turbo button from NBA Jam?

Sounds like the system I tried to implement late in the development of Carbon Engine, around the time of TOD M3.

3. what about skipping over holes, if pressing the SONIC button happens during entry delay? for me this sounds logical, as during entry delay, initial rotations can occur also without restrictions.

i wold say: if during entry delay "soniC+right" is pressed, the piece goes directly to the right border, ignoring any holes etc.

but if this is done after entry delay, the piece is not allowed to skip over holes.

4. Zaphod77

Not allowed. This would insure that an I piece could ALWAYS be dropped on the side, no matter how high the stack is. Initial movement is not allowed. only initial rotation.

Logical? yes. However, it would be overpowered.

5. overpowered? i wouldnt say that. you need to press an additional key to do that - its not that you just would need to press right, but you must manage to press the "sonic" key and simultaneously the right key. (for me - a total noob - i way to often even forget to do initial rotation when i should have done... and then that f*king I cant kick in tgm1 and 2...)

isnt that enough of additional difficulty (given tight timings) to allow for "initial sideways sonic movement" ?

i think its the same for the floorkick once that was introduced in tgm3. it makes the game a bit more beginner friendly, while at the same time the timings were shorter in higher levels to compensate for that little freedom.

6. Zaphod77

All you'd have to do is press and hold right, rotate, and sonic during ARE. They wouldn't even have to be simultaneous. And poof, it's IN THE HOLE.

THAT's why it wouldn't be allowed.

The concept is a low gravity speed optimization. It also optimized 20g play to a small extent.