A copypasta for people who don't lurk on HD

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Rosti LFC, 27 Aug 2012.

1. I figured at least some of you guys might be interested in participating or at least watching this, but would never know because you don't visit HardDrop (fair enough imo). Anyway, commence copypasta:

This is something I've discussed with a few people and have sort of wanted to do for ages but I haven't had the time (and still don't). I'm basically posting this to gauge interest - if a few people are keen then I'll put a bit more priority behind it and make it happen. If nobody cares then cool, I don't need to put any more planning into it.

Tired of all these Cultris/TOJ style tournaments where the same people keep winning all the time? Then what if there was a game where nobody had played it in years, it was sort of a bit off-the-wall as far as Tetris clones go, and most people probably haven't even heard it before?

That game is Quadra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0BY7msnEg

"But Rosti, recursive gravity isn't used in any other Tetris game and Quadra is totally dead... nobody is going to practice this crap..."
    This is exactly the point. This tournament is purely for fun, for pure entertainment. Spending any hours actually practising the game beforehand is strongly frowned upon and poor form. This is a test of how well people can adapt to a totally different style of Tetris.

"If it's all for entertainment, how do I watch?"
    The entire tournament will be streamed by myself and some TBD other caster in 720p on my Twitch channel (because it probably won't tie into the HD channel imo). And large amounts of alcohol will be involved in the commentary end. And possibly drinking games based on how players do.

"But I'm only 15 and/or live in some nazi country where I can't drink until I'm 21"
    That's fine, we need people to actually play.

"Will there be prizes?"
    No. Because I can't be bothered sticking the money up for them, and because the whole point is for this tournament not to be srs bzness. I want to see people enjoy being challenged, see some upsets, and see some Tetris games that are totally different to the normal stuff we get. It's entirely for fun and for bragging rights.

"When is this likely to go down?"
    At some point probably in just over a month. It depends on my work schedule and also when is most convenient for people to play (I'm not expecting more than about 10 people to actually sign up). If there's any reasonable interest shown in this thread then I'll make sure it happens.

"So what do I do if I want to compete or commentate or just see this happen?"
    Post some words to that effect in this thread. If it gets a ton of replies, I'll make sure that a Quadra lulz tournament with drunk casting happens before 2013. If not, then it either won't, or I'll make sure it goes down at the Eindhoven TC meet.

2. Oooh, I remember Quadra. Played it back in 2006 before I found my way over here. [or original TC] It was probably the first PC-game tetris I played as I had been totally hooked on GB Tetris and Tetris DS.

Played some multi with a couple of friends, fun game. Gravity changes the whole game around.

3. I assume that Quadra doesn't work on any OS beside Windows, right?

4. Says on the website that it supports MacOSX, though I guess you'll have to compile it yourself from the source.

5. Well, compiling it myself seemed too complicated, but the Windows version works in Wine, so I can participate.