The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Well, I may have chosen my words poorly, but I mainly thought about the lock delay reset when moving/rotating the piece. World rule might be broken, sure, but that's what's used in new Tetris games anyway, so it's broken when you're not used to it...

I can't disagree with the rest of your post though. It's true that TGM wasn't made for newcomers anyway.

Kitaru likes this.
  2. By "broken" we don't really mean abused/"overpowered", we mean that it's literally broken. It feels terrible imo and it's not really a good implementation of SRS.

3. Well, maybe I'm easily okay with crappy stuff (which happened a lot in the past, not only in Tetris), but I feel comfortable with both Classic and World rules. Or is that I'm trying to hold onto the only thing that can make me have an S5 in Shirase? Hell if I know...

4. Isn't it literally broken in the sense that they (probably intentionally) mixed up two buttons? :p

Oshisaure likes this.
  5. They switched the rotations round from Classic and it also has different I kicks. Not sure why, but playing World feels... strange. The best word I can think of to describe it would probably be "heavy". I have no issue playing regular SRS, but World feels off somehow.

6. True, that was Arika's way of trolling SRS people. They really didn't want us to play like that, did they.

Well, maybe I just need to play more of Tetris Friends or something like that to see the difference then?

7. Muf

Muf

The revision of the Tetris Guideline that was in use when Ti was in development stated that the "rightmost button" had to rotate clockwise. Ti has 3 rotation buttons, so that creates an off-by-one problem.

8. Does such rules really exist? Making games is hard nowadays...

9. Welp, I guess I won't be able to make an official Tetris game then.

10. Meanwhile, I just barely breached sub-60 40L on Nullpomino; are you using Sprint on Tetrisfriends? o.O;

11. Still, that's better than me by a ten second milestone! D:

12. Hello everyone my name is Rory, I'm 18 and from Britain. I'm a massive gamer and in my spare time I like to program and develop video games. I have been programming fluently for about 4 years now. Some of my notable achievements include:
    • Discovery of a brand new prime number (25'500 digits).
    • Discovery of one of the largest known Pythagorean triples (Billions of digits).
    • Independently mathematical proved that e is the intersection at which point the influence of changes on the base and power of a number in the form x^y switches.
    Anyways moving onto the regular stuff.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^

I started playing Tetris seriously after watching AGDQ 2015 and their great speedruns, (before that time I had only played casually a few times a year), so I have been playing for about a year now. I don't consider myself a great player yet. I am good enough that I can wow people when I play and I have settled a few bets with my skill (hehe). I hope to at some point get a proper 4-way arcade stick so I can play as it was intended.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?

I almost exclusively play TGM2+. I play for about half an hour a day, usually to relax in the evenings or if I am stuck on some programming problem. However right now I am in an exam period so I unfortunately don't have time to spend on gaming but I hope for that to change once this is all over.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?

Here is general list of games that I play, they're in no particular order but Overwatch is my current favourite. I enjoy playing it solo and with my girlfriend. (DVa is best character).

Overwatch, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Minecraft, StarCraft 2, Dota 2, Bastion, Transistor etc.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?

I am not really very interested in other puzzle games, Tetris has been the only one to get my interest so far.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?

I think I saw a link on the Tetris subreddit on reddit.com.

If you have any more questions, feel free to hit me up! ;)

LOst, Qlex, Starfall and 2 others like this.
  13. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who uses tetris as a thinking device sometimes. I just kind of zone out and solve problems I've been thinking about for weeks otherwise. Protip kids, don't get into graph theory! Or do, it's really fun when it's not frustrating.

Starfall, FreakyByte, Kitaru and 2 others like this.
  14. kai

kai

Hiiiii~ tetrisconcept!

Been playing tetris casually for like a week or so at a time a few times in the past, but I only recently got into TGM (well, texmaster2009 really).
    I'm still pretty horrible at the game, but I got S4 in less than 2 weeks so I'm told I have potential or something? I currently play maybe an hour or two per day unless I'm busy with something else.

I really love this type of game where you get short focused rounds where it's pure mechanical skill and reaction that wins the race. Easy to get lost in <3
    For now I just play texmaster2009 and I'll probably keep it that way until I get GM or at least start consistently clearing the game (or I get an actual TGM board). After that I guess I might tackle TAP master/death. Other than tetris I don't play a whole lot of games anymore. I play some casual Dota 2 and Arma 3 with friends sometimes though.

IRL I'm a non-binary sober vegan feminist swede about to start working on a bachelor's degree in mathematics. I also have some work experience as a software developer.

LOst, Rory, Qlex and 7 others like this.
  15. Last time I was in Sweden I didn't see anyone sober. Are you sure you're not pulling our leg?

Qlex likes this.
  16. kai

kai

I guess we were all at home playing tetris ;)

Qlex likes this.
  17. Hey there! My name's Proto (or Alexis), and I picked up a decided interest in higher-level Tetris a few months back. I started with GB Tetris because of my other gaming affilations, then after trying a few other versions, today I turned to Texmaster and instantly clicked with the TGM feel.

I've been following TGM since its first showing at SGDQ14(?), and after befriending EON and getting the chance to meet the TGM crew at SGDQ16 I decided to really dig in. After about a day I'm sitting calmly at 180/r3 in Tex normal mode which I think is pretty decent.

I'm a retro speedrun streamer (and am known on stream for being absolutely terrible at puzzle games). I run a lot of different games, mostly gameboy (Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Bubble Ghost, Super Mario Land - all games you may have seen at SGDQ!), and sometimes Super Mario World, and all of my hours poured into speedrunning unfortunately seems to have gotten me literally nowhere in Tetris!

I dragged myself here at the encouragement of EON, Qlex, and my fellow newbie and stream viewer Kai and I hope to stick around for the long haul!

LOst, AnnaMaus, Omio9999 and 7 others like this.
  18. Wow, very strange coincidence. I was just going through some SGDQ VODs that I had missed yesterday, and came across your Mario Land run! Great job, and cool to see you here.

Kitaru likes this.
  19. Glad you enjoyed and I'm certainly glad to be here! AGDQ submissions start in a few weeks, I have no new games, and all I'm doing is playing Tetris...

kai, Kitaru and EnchantressOfNumbers like this.