The Introduction Thread

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Ai, 30 May 2008.

1. Yeah, my coworkers and I found out about the game from SGDQ...and so far we've bought two arcade cabinets, TGM, TI and now we have TAP on the way...so thanks for absolutely decimating my free time social life :p

FeV, JBroms, Qlex and 1 other person like this.
  2. How good is everyone else at your office? are you far and away the best there?

3. I'd say I'm the best, but not far and away. One guy is on the verge of his first GM, and several others are starting to get to level 500 (tgm1) more and more consistently.

Kitaru likes this.
  4. That's really awesome. I frequent one of the only arcades with a public copy of TGM and have yet to see anyone else (TC members visiting town don't count :p) even push the 500 barrier.

Also I just realized that I have never introduced myself here:
    My name's Justin and I'm an alcoho---wait.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

I think I first played tetris when I was 5 or 6, playing an NES at a family friend's place. I remember some guy setting it up for me and starting it on level 0. I remember wondering why a game had a level 0.
    I owned the gameboy cart growing up but sucked at it. I even remember playing type B while riding a bike one day. I began playing somewhat regularly in 2011 after emulating it on my phone. I had an Xperia Play so for the next few years I was able to play it wherever. I eventually got to 300k at the start of this year. I started playing TGM in may 2015 after Victory Pointe got a copy of the game. I had seen the AGDQ run but never tried the game. Once I got my hands on TGM, I was hooked, played for 5 hours the next day to get my first S1, finally got my TGM1 GM in October. I don't consider myself a GREAT player, but it feels good to call myself a grandmaster :p

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play?
    I was NES and Gameboy on emulator until I started TGM. Now I play a lot of TGM (I own TGM1 and TAP), usually for 2+ hours a day.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy?

Starcraft 2 is possibly still my #1 game. Playing at an arcade has also gotten me into Crazy Taxi, light gun shooters, and pinball. Pittsburgh is a huge pinball city so I'll probably start competing soon for the fuck of it. I'm also the reigning Windjammers champion of the party I was at last week.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?

I've played some Hexic on and off, I enjoy it. Nothing else really comes to mind.

5. How did you find out about tetrisconcept?

Google.

5. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I haven't started playing Tetris. I'm living life, you fuckless ant. I've been playing at murderring fuckless ants for 27 years and a few days, with at least 0_murder, not quite 1_murder. I don't consider myself a great player, though I am God of the Universe.

I play tetris-md, a shat out crap of a game Brandon made. tetris2.zip on MAME is pretty good, too, per it ain't got any fucked up broken corrupted graphics like tetris.zip has, nor like tetris-md's.

Reality, mostly. And getting Space World going again, in Japan at least, with me present of course, as The Extra Terrestrial From Planet Earth.

Nope. I hate them all. And you, you fuckless ant.

I fucking found it you fuckless ant. Eat your porridge and die in a ditch, please.

6. Why are you so rude?
    Because you're pesterring, DANA

6. Hi,

I'm a normal, sane, calm and collected person who enjoys Tetris so casually well, that I gathered me the bravery to come say hello to this possibly insane community, judging by the last two posts before mine. More impressive bravery perhaps is that I have decided to try out streaming my endeavors in Tetris. Head on over and follow at www.twitch.tv/belfeh to see what I'm about, I'm going live after posting this and I'll keep my past broadcasts.

I was hoping some of you experienced fellows would give me some guidance based on my playstyle, or just drop by for a pleasant chat. I would really like to get to know the Tetris-people that hangs out on Twitch, viewer or player, bad or good.

1) I started playing Tetris becuase I love games that are 'as hard as you are good'.
    2) The aim is to play all modes of Texmaster, eventually, meaning going from TGM1 to TAP to TGM3. I've played daily for a couple of months so far.
    5) Refered here by great players, this video series made me start playing it, AGDQ kept me at it.

Shout-outs to KevinDDR, nekozid and EnchantressOfNumbers who inpired me to start streaming.

EDIT:

I failed to hit "save settings" on Twitch as I turned on "Save Past Broadcasts", DOH!

However, I did local record, and hit a personal best, I had to create a YouTube channel for PB's:

Last edited: 9 Jan 2016
    GyRo, Kevcel, Kitaru and 4 others like this.
  7. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I've only begun to play Alexei Pazhitnov's first magnum opus of videogammerry, Tetris, or, "Was-Four" per esperantic lingvation, anyways,
    I've been playing tetris sometimes, not continuously all day for 10+ years in a row, YOU DAMNED FOOL!!.
    I'm not a Great-Player, but I am a great player!

I play Tetris IRL, which includes stacking boxes nicely in moving vans; I don't play at anything much; I mostly work 24/7, never-sleeping and with incredifeel, just like Meroigo!

RL. Also, making TUGMTC.

*work* hmmm, none come to mind, so maybe Jew Elree Mastur nation-bation of MIHARA the Arikan?

How did you find out about it, 5.?

6. Are you immortal?
    Yes.

8. -5:Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playig and if you consider yourself a great player? :confused:
    I started playing because I ended up with a Tetis & Dr. Mario cart for my stupidly-sold-away SNES. I've not left the word "Tetris" lie on the ground ever since those early 199X years.

-4:What Tetris game do you play and how much do you play?
    I focus on those of the Sega Tetris 1988 lineage, though I do enjoy a WORLD-rule game occasionally.

-3:What other games besides Tetris (if any B)) keep you busy?
    The game of life itself: Of making friends from the pile of loneliness that pervades my existence. I'm slowly getting better at friend'ing IRL, though.

-2:Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy?
    None so far. I've been so SHOGUN-committed to Tetris that I have trouble enjoying other baby-block-shunting games, like ShouGi or Chess.

-1:How did you find out about tetrisconcept?
    That memory is quite hazy, as most likely, I just hit "free tetris" or something and found Tepples's Allegro version of Lockjaw on tc.com, the dead-elf tetrisconcept.

0:Are there further thoughts you have, such as suicide?
    No suicidal thoughts; just immortal and immortalizing. Also, I am pushing hard to make Tetris '88 in HTML5. :ninja:

Kitaru likes this.
  9. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I am an unfortunate person who started playing with Tetris Worlds, so I can't explain why I started :p
    I wouldn't say I'm a great player, I can at least get to the S ranks in all the TGM games, though.

I used to play a bunch of New Tetris, but switched over to the TGM games last year, I've found myself playing a while everyday now.

I play CS:GO, and whatever's out usually.

Pokemon Puzzle League is pretty rad, but i'm trash at it.

The Tetris block during SGDQ last year! then I finally started visiting while programming a fangame for fun, the wiki is an amazing source of info.

Kitaru, GyRo, Tomek and 2 others like this.
  10. Hi there I'm JoycieC, you can call me Joycie, or Joy, or just Josh is fine too.
    I along with my colleague and friend (not part of this forum) are both avid Tetris fans and operators of an arcade in London called VEGA.

We're heavy music and rhythm game fans (beatmania, DDR etc) and it just so happens that a fair number of us in that specific community also happen to be rather jolly Tetris fans. So here's hoping we one day get a muscal Tetris game.

1. Why did you start playing Tetris?
    I'm not entirely sure honestly, I just picked it up and never put it down. Years later it became a bit of an obsession to the point where I genuinely started suffering from that thing we call "The Tetris Effect" and I started seeing little pieces everywhere, it was rough I tell you.

TGM3, I love it and I play it occasionally since I have pretty easy access to it at the arcade.

Phantasy Star Online 2, no I am not obsessed, 7,000 hours is not an addiction, it's a hobby.

I've been playing Pokémon Shuffle recently, but do enjoy me some Dr. Mario and Puyo Pop!

Through the power of Twitter and some of the people here suggesting I check it out, here's hoping I fit in!

Any questions, please do ask away.

Kitaru, Oliver, Tomek and 1 other person like this.
  11. The more the merrier :)

Welcome to the forum!

Tomek likes this.
  12. oh hiya
    ;)

Kitaru and Qlex like this.
  13. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

I played the NES and the Game Boy Tetris as a kid back in the 90s. I played Tetris because those were the first games I was able to play in those Nintendo systems. And my parents didn't buy me a new game for quite some itme.I don't consider myself in any way, a good player.

In 2009, I spent a lot of time in Facebook Tetris and in tetrisfriends.com. I briefly played Tetris DS and now, I sometimes play Tetris Ultimate in the 3DS. Saw "Ecstasy of Order" and that got me back to try playing Tetris again. I wish I could play more multiplayer Tetris but I couldn't find anyone to play with.

I'm primarilty a board gamer and I play card games like Android: Netrunner and A Game of Thrones: The Card Game 2nd Edition

I like Bust-a-move / puzzle bobble. I do speedcubing too.

14. Hi everybody.

39 year old guy here just starting to play Tetris. I am honestly terrible at it. Playing only the NES version and I get scores of 90k in good games. Everything above level 8 is to fast for me. ;)

Problem is … my girlfriend plays with me at times and got 142 lines on her first ever Tetris game. ;)

I can cope with it … won’t destroy my manhood. ;)

Still I want to get better at NES Tetris to compete with her. As low as I am I am pretty sure all I have to do now is to play, play, play. ;)

Still I thought I do some research now and that’s why I am here.

Wish all of you a wonderful day,

regards,

Pardie ;)

Kitaru, Qlex and Archina like this.
  15. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? Started playing Tetris in 2007 after the L-block won a character popularity contest against Cloud and Link on Gamefaqs, been keeping at it since, started TGM series after AGDQ 2014. I think I'm a great player, but I'm not entirely sure what that means. at the very least, I believe myself to be in the 99th percentile of Tetris players, but that probably applies to everyone here.

2. What Tetris games do you play and how much do you play? TGM series, play almost daily.

3. What other games besides Tetris (if any ^^) keep you busy? Tons and tons of things, roleplaying games, Magic, the gathering, retro video games in general.

4. Any other block/puzzle games you enjoy? Not really.

16. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player? ^^
    I started playing after I catched KevinDDR's GM exam live a little over a year ago and decided I would give it a try. Then I downloaded the PC hack for Ti and, despite what the game kept telling me, I did not regret it. After a few weeks, I read up on all the rules and rotation systems and decided it would be a better idea if I started learning with a harsher game like TGM1 before moving on, so that's what I did. In july 2015, I got my first GM and now I'm feeling the day I get a Death M is approaching pretty soon. With that said, I would say that I'm a pretty good player despite lacking in consistency.

I play especially TGM 1 and 2 with a bit of classic style NES Tetris from time to time. I play too much.

Any game I can find that interests me, bonus if it has good action and exploration.

I'm trying get into other puzzle games notably Panel de Pon/Puzzle League and Puyo Puyo but I'm more of a casual/novice at these.

By searching for info on the series, of course.

17. 1. Why did you start playing Tetris? Can you also please specify how long you have been playing and if you consider yourself a great player?

My first experience with Tetris was on the Gameboy. I did not give it much mind though, was really into Pokemon at the time. I started to get more into Tetris when I was in high school and got a Ti Calculator. I put Tetris on that thing and many class hours were "invested". After high school I did not touch the game for quite a couple of years as I was really into World of Warcraft and was focusing on that. There was this period when I was in college that I remember an "Invisible Tetris" video being passed around but I never gave it much thought.

Que 2015 and I am watching videos on probability and statistics on a YouTube channel named Numberphile. I see a recommended video titled "Confessions of a Tetris Addict" and it captivates me from beginning to end. I quickly remember that video from college and look for it, to try and find the name of the game. That triggers an obsession of wanting to learn everything about this game [Tetris the Grand Master]. Many nights pass in front of the computer digging through forums, reading strategy and just how unforgiving the game really is. So I get my hands on it and start playing in December 2015, and I quickly learn just how bad I really am. But through practice I've become better and have been obsessed ever since.​

I play all the games in the TGM series, but TGM3 has become my favorite. I love its music, its showmanship, and the atmosphere it presents to you as a player. Really brings back that arcade feeling and reminds me of games like DDR and Space Channel 5. I practice about 1-4 hours a day depending on my schedule. I stream my practice sessions live so the community can join me on my journey of ups and downs.​

3. What other games besides Tetris keep you busy?

I enjoy many other genres of games and play a wide spectrum of titles. Another game I'm obsessed with is Bayonetta, extremely well made action game, I highly recommend it. One of my favorite genres is the JRPG. I enjoy titles such as Persona 3 and 4, the Shin Megami Tensei series, and the Parasite Eve games. I also play MMO’s on occasion such as World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2.​

The Portal games are a favorite of mine, good story with very rewarding gameplay. What I like about Portal is that you feel that you have made good progression even in short play sessions. I do not really play other block games, but I was addicted to Dr. Mario for a while; but it was missing that "it" factor for me. A game I did have huge fun with was Tetrisphere on the N64.​

5. How did you find out about Tetrisconcept?

As I was doing my TGM research one name and forum kept coming up..."Tetrisconcept". I spent many hours reading threads on the inner workings of the series and was quite surprised that Tetris had such depth and theory crafting surrounding it. My viewers also recommended that I sign up and introduce myself so I took the plunge.​

Last edited: 12 Apr 2016
  18. That series is sadly not getting a lot of love outside the omnipresent Persona spinoff. Just finished SMT4 recently (much delayed, as I had originally preordered it), and I would really love to see another full scale console iteration of that

Kitaru likes this.
  19. I'm in the same situation, except for the fact that I've yet to finish SMT4. I preordered it as well and like that its a difficult rpg. It reminds me a bit of the Wizardry series of games with its combat style but I could never get into those, this I enjoy way more. For me It's a good pick me up and play game for short sessions, but I can't play it for many hours. I am very exited though for Persona 5, I hope they let you choose the gender of your lead this time like they did in Persona 3 Portable; now that is an excellent game.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2016
    Kitaru likes this.
  20. Hi, Lily here. Started playing a few months ago with TGM3, recently started using Nullpomino as it's more stable on my older laptop, I'm pretty new, 40 lines time of 3:12. Besides Tetris I typically play a ton of fighters, the two I play most are Melty Blood and Guilty Gear, I play F-Wara, and Ino/Justice respectively, I also play rhythm games a fair amount. Other puzzle games I enjoy are typically picross and sometimes Bejewled if I'm looking for something a bit easier than Tetris to calm down. Justin directed me here off of the Old School Onslaught X page on FB, never knew this was here.

Kitaru, Qlex, Muf and 1 other person like this.