Tetris DS Catch strategy?

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Guest, 22 Jul 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Unregistered

Can anyone give some tips on a good strategy for Catch mode? I can't even get to 2 million. The pieces start falling too fast and my core looks like crap.

What's the best way to get a high score? Try to get really big cores before detonating? Try to kill lots of metroids? Thanks!

2. Sully

Sully Unregistered

Here's some advice:

-Start at level 15. I find anything higher to be just too fast.

-Don't feel the need to catch every piece. If something doesn't fit, just let it go past.

-Try to build two large areas, avoiding 4x4 on both for as long as possible. Once you activate one, join them together by filling in any gaps between them, creating a very large detonation area

-Uness you're going to "die," never detonate early. Add as much size as you can during the detonation countdown.

I'm not sure exactly how scoring works, particularly with metroids. I always just did my best to have the largest area upon detonation. My top score is just over 12 million (avg 300k per detonation), but I think a great run will net 20 million (500k per detonation). The biggest problem is that one misplaced piece can totally screw up your game.

3. Guest

Guest Unregistered

my max level is only 13 x_x

4. Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Level 20 felt "too fast" to me for quite a while, but if you really want a high score you need to get used to it. It just takes time. Eventually it'll be manageable.

I don't recall the scoring details exactly, but it's something like this:

- detonation score is 100 * (det. area)^2 * level

- each piece you hit with the explosion is worth 100 * level

- each metroid you hit with the explosion is worth 1000 * level

I agree that 20 million is well within the realm of possibility.

5. Bander87

Bander87 Unregistered

This may be for another topic, but has anyone experience a bug in catch mode where you have no center piece?

I have experienced this once and couldn't catch anything.

6. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

As I understand catch's falling algorithm, it's supposed to put the center piece back after gravity happens.

7. Sully

Sully Unregistered

I've played a bunch of Catch and I score a lot higher on level 15. I've had detonations worth 800k+ before on level 15. Maybe I just need to practice on level 20 more, but I doubt I'll ever be able to build surface areas as big as I do on level 15. As for newer Catch players, I think jumping right into level 20 is foolish. You've got to get a good grip on the gameplay before playing at that speed. Heck, I consider myself to be pretty good and I can't score for shit on level 20.

As for scoring, Metroids can add 20k max? Hardly worth detonating early. It's clearly all about detonation area.