TC Exclusivity vs. Global Leaderboard

Thread in 'Discussion' started by jujube, 28 Jan 2008.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

what do you guys think? should we expand the leaderboards to include the top score(s) in the world? seems like a big enough deal to discuss, given we've actually created a subforum for keeping records.

i don't think the number of people playing a mode should even matter.

why not add every score/time we can find and make this a real working set of tetris world leaderboards? so what if you drop from 10th to 100th. at least you'd know where you really stand (or you'd have a better idea). the TDS leaderboard turned to crap long before it stopped updating altogether. towards the end of it's working existence it was only updating ratings from North American players.

maybe with some help from 2ch we could assemble a big list of records in no time.

2. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

There are two issues I see.

One is that since we created the record threads, we have to do a lot of external information gathering and we are the ones that have to do the updating. Since this is not an automated system, it's going to be a lot of work for a person to maintain, namely the topic creator.

The other issue is that the records list could get too long and inconvenience the rest of us who actually use it. Most of our players are not at the level of the japanese players. Therefore, we'll probably be at the bottom of the list and have to scroll down a lot. The high ranking players probably won't even be browsing our threads frequently as they have their own leaderboards.

3. Surely a world leaderboard would only be worth having if it was completely accurate, which one here would not be.

For it to give most of the players here a comprehensive idea of their world standing, there's going to need to be a massive number of players on the leaderboard. 300~500 at least I would think.

That's several hundred players who we'd have to find the scores of, and several hundred players who aren't going to post when their score gets updated. We'd have to manually find out. You're also going to have a whole load of players whose scores aren't even on the internet to find.

A world ranking would be nice, but I'd want it to be an accurate one to be worthwhile, and that would never happen. The benefit of the leaderboards we have here is to say that they're pretty much accurate, at least near the top. There's not going to be many western Death M's that we don't know about.

I really don't think that many western players could do so well without knowing TC in some way. If you play TGM or Heboris to the point where you're that good, you're likely to stumble upon the internet's leading English Tetris forum.

And the fact is, as Digital points out, we're nowhere near as good as the Japanese players. We'll all be sitting around the bottom of the tables. We're not in the same league as those guys, and we should therefore have our own league.

A world table would be nice, but I think it would be better as a collaboration between us and the Japanese players on 2ch and TIT (and elsewhere, probably), and would be better if it resided at it's own site, or at least not on here.

4. I think we should keep this western only. I agree with everything Digital said.

5. It seems weird to me to add people who doesn't specifically ask for it on the TC leaderboards, you can always just link to the japanese leaderboards and it will serve the same purpose for people who want to compare themselves to the best japanese players.

Then.. if Japanese players want to be added to the TC leaderboards, they are of course welcome to register here and post their best records.

These are my few cents, but since I'm not actively contributing to the TC leaderboards myself (I'm just not that competitive) you are free to ignore my take on the subject. [​IMG]

6. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I desagree as well, there is a so bit gap between Japan and western players, for this simple reason :

Japan players began on TGM in 1998, western players on 2004..

Then we will never get every main records of Japan stars..

For two reasons : they have not the same spirit of competition than western players, and they are limited in english..

But I wish we continu to indicate the current known (japan) world record on the top of our leaderboard..

What is the interest to put report at DEATH 534 ?

We well know this player could get often the Gm rank..

7. I think report submitted that record himself, maybe he didn't want to come off as a showoff or something.

8. Muf

Muf

I agree. For "goal setting" purposes, there should be an absolute number 1 japanese player listed for us to strive towards. Maybe in the leaderboard this can be listed as number zero (with a wink towards counting from zero), so that our own western place numbers aren't affected.

9. it's simple. if someone posts their score, put it up. tc shouldn't discriminate in the least. if someone of much higher skill comes in, and happens to be from a part of the world some would say would have an advantage, then so be it. more challenge means more improvement.

i don't think we should put other records besides those up. it doesn't seem appropriate.

10. I think that Rosti's idea is pretty good.

Well,though I can't administrator a part of records only, I'd like to cooperate with TC.

For example, I receive some japanese records and sign up for TC leaderbord in place of them.

However,sorry.

First of all,I don't have the authority to use most of the japanese records relatad to tetris [​IMG]
    Therefore,if it's project should be executed ,it would be restricted witin narrow limits.

11. Muf

Muf

I think it's quite easy. Just make the whole site entirely multilingual, so that Japanese players can find their way around. Someone (I'd volunteer) could even write leaderboard software in PHP.

12. misterghostie

misterghostie Unregistered

Have to agree with caffeine here. As far as I'm concerned, the leaderboards are global anyway - if a player stumbles across this site, regardless of where they are from, and wishes to submit their records then that's the way the leaderboards should be updated.

It'd be nice to have a leaderboard structure similar to something like cyberscore. Would something like this be too much of hassle to integrate?

13. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

I think a clarification needs to be made. There are two contexts of "global" used within this thread.

1. Leaderboard that includes every record in the world whether the person posts at TC or not.

2. Global players who are part of the TC community or who post in it (even once).

Number 1 is the context of global that is used in the poll. Number 2 is what the thread is referring to when it says TC exclusivity.

14. i don't know if i like the automated method. i've seen a lot of these surrounding games go out in flames. seems the thread method is tried and true, and it gives people a chance to talk about their scores.

15. The way I see it, TC has records for the TC community. Anyone is welcome to join the TC community. Records threads should be simple to participate in, and should take minimal effort to maintain. So as to encourage their existence. [​IMG]

What is perfectly acceptable, is including a reference link to other record keeping sources. Obviously (in the case of TGM at least) we're not going to have all the strongest players here, so it's very nice to have a humbling point of comparison. But I think we should simply link the source and leave it at that.

16. misterghostie

misterghostie Unregistered

That makes more sense and clears things up a bit.

Although I forgot to point out cleary before, I'm still in favour of having records from members of the TC community only - it'd would be too much hassle otherwise and definitely cause more problems.

17. If Jin8 or Kan (for example) signed up here and posted their records, I'd have no objection.

Point is, they haven't. The Japanese elite are very much keeping to their own sites.

18. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i don't think he's posted a TAP Death score other than 534. he posted a Texmaster GM video a while back, and we still don't have a records thread for Texmaster Sudden mode. his video link isn't working anymore, but if anyone creates the proper leaderboard i think he should be at the top with GM rank and the time left blank until he fills in the missing information.

edit:

TAP clones leaderboard

19. jujube

jujube Unregistered

can we make a sticky world records thread that stays at the top of the records subforum? with links to each game in the first thread on page 1 (linking to wherever the board is located within the thread). we wouldn't need to post in that thread, and other leaderboards could be run as they normally are.