[T-Spins] Take a side --a decision must be made!!!

Thread in 'Discussion' started by colour_thief, 7 Mar 2007.

1. jujube

jujube Unregistered

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1471418773

ok, ok, that was over 2 years ago, and more of a demonstration than an expression of fondness [​IMG]

but at the same time, how many people said they found the forum after watching that video? you have to get the name out somehow.

2. Tetris doesn't need flashy gimmicks. It's the top mobile game and makes bajillions of dollars, and most people still don't know what the hell a T-Spin is. What Tetris does need is solid and competitive gameplay.

3. hova

hova Unregistered

that's why i voted for "No". Tetris is all about clearing four lines of blocks at the same time. it has always been this way and should be this way.

4. m:)

m:) Unregistered

it's called tetris!!

i'm in the process of learning them for the first time because I have to.

t-spins are ok but should be weaker then a tetris.

5. Wow. It was dead even before I voted.

Anyway, I voted no, mainly because I don't see why T-Spins are rewarded and not any other kind of spin. There are some much cooler ways to manipulate the kicks. Though I do like combos for competitive Tetris. But that's another story.

6. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Here's my weird little explanation for that. Take it with a grain of salt.

L/J/S/Z - Not rewarded because they are not entirely unique
    O - Can't rotate [​IMG]
    I - It can already tetris.
    T - The only unique one that can rotate but doesn't already have a function...

Why not just reward all of them? Because then, you'd have a freakishly massive amount of weapons of destruction at your disposal. [​IMG]

7. jujube

jujube Unregistered

i can agree with points from both sides here. if twists with all pieces were rewarded, especially with a 7-piece bag randomizer, it would open up the door for so many possible attacking setups that the game would become a pure attacking game. if you didn't know all the twists, or didn't study openings and quick midgame setups, then you would just lose every game.

but...i do like combos, and in a combo, every piece becomes a powerful attacking piece, and you don't even have to slow down by soft dropping as you would with a twist.

the difference is that setting up a long combo is usually a big commitment which involves either stacking high or allowing garbage to push you up near the top of the well. if you could start a game with an 8-row high setup which led to 4 twists and sent 20 rows of garbage, it would clearly be less risky, take less pieces (less planning), and do more damage per time.

if all twists were rewarded but the reward was nerfed, the level of the reward would determine whether or not a twisting strategy would be viable. i'm not sure the existence of more twist rewards would add a dynamic to the game. while sending 1 extra line of garbage per twist might not be enough, sending 2 extra lines might be too much.

8. PikaTheXIII

PikaTheXIII Unregistered

they are powerful lol they can rape!! D:

9. nice idea! i like the idea of scoring twists a bit higher, because it feels so good if you magically filled a hole using a spin.

@lardarse: what is the "immobile algorithm" ?

10. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Lockjaw has a scoring system implemented on this basis. The immobile algorithm sounds just like what it suggests. The piece has to be immobile (unable to be moved or rotated) after being rotated into some gap.

11. Actually, I think the definition of immobile is just that a piece would collide if shifted one unit left, right, or up. Many spins wouldn't work anymore if you had a clause in there that said it wasn't allowed to rotate either.

12. DIGITAL

DIGITAL Unregistered

Yeah, that would make sense now that I think about it.

13. tepples

tepples Lockjaw developer

Kitaru described "immobile" correctly. It was my best guess at how The New Tetris for N64 determines whether a move was a "spin move", as of 2000 when I was developing Carbon Engine for freepuzzlearena, and I still haven't found any counterexamples.

14. lgb

lgb

Give T-spins a minor point increase over their counterpart "normal-line-clears" and keep it that way. Say you got 500/1000/2000/5000 or such for line clears; using a T-spin to clear those lines would give you maybe... a 500 point increase for each line, which would lead to 1000/1500/2500/5500.

In my opinion, that's what it should have been to begin with.