Records: [Sega Tetris (1988)]

Thread in 'Competition' started by jujube, 16 Jun 2008.

1. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Congratulations nightmareci! From the looks of things, even after 999 lines you still could have carried on quite easily! You actually inspired me to give this another quick go today - things were looking real good until I topped out at about 550k :(

I stuck some of the run up on youtube (from level 15, up to near where I died), but it's a full 11 minutes, so it might be a bit boring for people not interested in SEGA Tetris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8I9dmolCeI

2. [​IMG]
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

3. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Impressive Kitaru, keep it up!! I don't suppose you were recording were you? I'd be interested to see your playstyle in action.

4. I have an .inp I think, yeah. Maybe I'll link it, maybe I'll record. My play style is bad, probably, haha.

5. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

It can't be that bad if you can survive to 500k!

6. Code:
    nightmareci------999999       662       2010-10-03
    Recorded: Part 1 and part 2.

EDIT: I copy-pasted my code tag there from my last post, and forgot to edit the date. Fixed now.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  7. I didn't know there was a sega tetris leaderboard
    Remember playing it on my megadrive on a pirate 180 in 1 HK cartidge when I was, like, 14
    I will give it a go this evening but... the randomizer is soooooo cruel in this game lol

8. Zaphod77

Zaphod77 Resident Misinformer

Some more info about how sega tetris randomizer works has been discovered.

The game actually generates a 1000 piece looping sequence each time you start a game.

The pattern doesn't continue where you leave off, instead a new pattern is generated with a new seed.

However this sequence of seeds doesn't change either. So the second game has it's own "poweron pattern" the third game has it's own "poweron pattern", etc.

The number of possible seeds is not yet known. IF someone versed in assembly can reverse engineer the generator, then the size of the seed can be calculated, and the number of possible seeds worked out.

Notably, this has a few implications

1) to max out the line counter you must survive two loops of the pattern.
    2) if you get a bravo on piece 1000, you can play forever.
    3) even though it has a true memoryless randomizer, some, if not all, possible games of Sega Tetris may be foreverable. There may be 1000 piece sequences the game gives out that can't be survived indefinitely.
    4) The poweron pattern ends with a I, and therefore may potentially allow a tetris bravo on the last piece.

9. [​IMG]
    :)

1x Bravo (L triple) well after the score max-out. The max-out was in... 776 lines? 77x for sure.

10. It's not a new record for me, but it is a maxout, all in one video, since YouTube allows that now.

I've developed some new techniques to survive more consistently, but I've gotten somewhat rusty at Sega Tetris, so I sometimes make placements that would work in TGM.

Maybe I'll try to outdo my old record, but I've been mostly focused on TGM lately.

Muf, Qlex, CylinderKnot and 2 others like this.
  11. In anticipation for the newly announced M2 port...
    0017.png

Played on shmupmame 4.2 using "set 4" (tetris.zip) on hardest, no bravos

mycophobia likes this.
  12. So I did it again but in 561 lines this time.

First half was insanely good so I started playing safer when I noticed my pace, 530 lines or less doesn't feel out of reach.

Edit: tiny PB
    0025.png

Last edited: 14 Jul 2019
    simonlc and mycophobia like this.
  13. Zaphod77

The new port of sega tetris in the genesis/mega drive mini is a valid platform for this challenge, with default settings (don't map hard drop or CW rotation).

In fact, it is the idea platform, as it comes with a nice 3 button gamepad to play it with.

there is no poweron pattern to worry about. it controls and plays accurately.

Just like the arcade, the sequence is fixed at start of game. this has been confirmed with save state. i do not know if it loops at 1000 pieces. but anyone who can real 400 lines or more should be able to confirm it.

I believe this version cycles the rng continuously until start of game.

14. Zaphod77

note. the following platforms will register score in excess of 999,999.

1) Sega Ages, if "extend counter" is on. Arcade Accurate.
    2) Hebo Old Style. (1.0.1 SDL2 has many bugs fixed which make it's mode "close enough" for competition. it has CW rotation and 180 disabled, and has the speed curve fixed.)
    3) Sega Tetris for Mega Drive/genese mini. (no need to change anything) (this ver doesn't have poweron pattern, and is correct for default for this leaderboard) Also arcade accurate on default settings

The following platforms can allow CW rotation
    1) Heboris Old style, for older versions, or 1.01 if enabled (it's not by default).
    2) Tetris from Megadrive mini, if you bind it.