More than meets the eye?

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Qlex, 25 Jul 2011.

1. I'm not talking about transformers, but I got questions in mind that haven't been answered, even after practising and searching in the wikis :

- Why do people in general reach the end of each section as fast as possible (even 999), without making a tetris, whereas this would clearly give more grade points? Is it just that people already knew they were going to reach the highest so they could focus solely on time, at the moment I was watching the videos?

- That one is more important, and it's TGM3 specific : It's possible to make two tetrises in a row pretty easily, by holding a line piece. A combo gives you more grade points. In that case, why do people in general (and there I mean almost everybody) refuse that strategy, doing tetrises regularly? Is it linked to the decay, you might need to clear lines more often?

I'm trying to do what people don't do, according to these two points, but I wonder if I'm going the right way.

Thanks in advance!

2. Amnesia

Amnesia Piece of Cake

I have seen your special ti video, and I recognize that you are coherent with your words in your game style, you stack very well, compared to the majority of player, your speed and stacking are unbalanced. You have a stacking of a great player but your speed potentiel is a bit limited.

Be sure that we ALL try to play with 100% of tetris from 0-999, but another fact has to be considered, and you are the good exemple who actually suffer of that : there are 2 modes called DEATH and SHIRASE, these two modes would be ideally completed faster with 100% of tetrises, but they requier more speed than stacking, the DEATH 400 speed and SHIRASE 600 speed need to be played with a high level of cencentration to not be fucked up by the speed. if you think that some player are stucked in their obsession of speed, that also probably means that they are trying to push their speed limit.

In my opinion, pushing speed or adjusting stacking will at the very end provide the same result. By mastering speed, you can become more confident in stacking better, and by mastering stacking, you develop some automatical good reflexes of stacking which protect you when the speed is a bit too high.

And to finish about this, players are tempted to show a fast style because the speed is view as a sexy criteria in TGM.

3. If you have enough skill to keep control of your stack and have back-to-back tetris combos all the time, then you almost certainly don't need to bother with that strategy. I think you're largely underestimating just how useful the hold piece is to keep the stack perfectly solid and under control at high speeds, and it's not worth sacrificing that for the marginal benefit of back-to-back tetris combos.

Double tetris combos won't make a huge difference to what your grade is at 500, because of the way the grade system tends to work. At best you'll maybe climb an internal grade or two, but I'm sceptical you'd even get that. It's very hard to get a jump on the grade system from 0-500 because you end up getting very few grade points per clear (due to high internal grade) but with a low multiplier (because you're below 500).

Past 500 it literally gives you no benefit whatsoever, because when you exceed the 100 grade points, you go up a grade and the points reset to zero. There's no carry over. You can have a clear to take you to 180 grade points and you will get +1 internal grade and be on 0 grade points, not 80.
    For this reason it's actually really bad to combo back to back tetrises from 500-750. Your first Tetris takes you to 90 grade points, and then you waste an entire Tetris getting just the final 10 points, when a double would have easily been enough. From 750-999 it makes no difference, because each Tetris equates to a full internal grade anyway.

And in answer to your first point, it's merely because people are trying to keep their time as low as reasonably possible. It's generally not seen to be a brilliant idea to exploit the level stop for extra points. It gives you very little benefit before 500 (for the same reasons as above), and past 500 most people are either good enough to not need to do it, or are struggling with the speed and would rather not hang around.

4. Thanks for your answers! I completely understand now.