MameTgm Not reading Arcade/fightstick

Thread in 'Discussion' started by Baconguy14, 14 Jun 2016.

1. I recently got into playing tetris more and i wanted to see if i could be gm in TGM 1 But not wanting to shell out the money to buy an actual arcade board i saw a forum thread that shows how to setup the shmup mame because the other mames have problems that would come from delay so i got it all setup but the emulator will not read my fightstick, its padhacked (Its hacked to play as both a xbox 1 gamepad or i flick a switch and its a xbox 360 game pad).It reads just fine in nullpomino and other games just not mame :(

2. Is it displayed correctly in the devices/printer list? Does it register the input, if you go to the controller settings there?

3. It doesn't work just in shmupmame or also in regular mame ?

If it works in nullpomino it should work everywhere as it means the OS sees the stick. :confused:

4. Forgive me if you have already tried this but it doesn't hurt to try something simple.
    Close mame, unplug your stick.
    Set your stick to Xbox 360 mode and plug it back in, into a different usb port if possible.

Tomek likes this.
  5. So The computer reads both the Madcatz fightstick neo (the standard 360) and the Xbox 1 controller, I Remember a while back i got it to work in mame ui but the version of mame i installed now is not mame ui. ive got it to work in fightcade and others it just dosent work on either mames also when i go into the bind keys on mame is says KBD and i have no idea what that is. THanks for the help :)

6. So does it register if you do "mame.exe somegame" and hit TAB and then select input and any function in there?

7. Do you have all the correct drivers installed (and if so, maybe try temporarily disabling them). Also it's not an identical issue, but this post/thread might be helpful for you.

Also I'm not entirely sure but if you get it working with MameUI then I'm fairly sure there are relevant parts of your config you can just copy across the files/code for and it'll work.

8. Ok thanks ill look into it as soon as i get the chance thanks alot everyone whos helping

9. The version of mame i installed is http://www.mamedev.org/release.html and i just have the shmup mame in the same folder Capture.PNG
    Then when i go into it it gives me no config options

10. What does "when I go into it" mean?

11. MAMETGM is based on a vanilla, command-line build of MAME (i.e., no frontend UI on launch). Any settings not found in the Tab menu overlay can be changed by editing a configuration file. If editing the file by hand is undesirable, Rosti's suggestion of using a different build of MAME with a frontend UI and copying the configuration file over (or copy-pasting parts of the configuration file) should work.

You may need to enable joysticks to get MAME to pick them up. I think the setting in the config file for this is just changing joystick=0 to joystick=1

12. Not completely familiar with that build of MAME (or any build from like the last 5 years :p) but given I can't see an obvious .ini in the root folder (other than ui.ini, which IIRC does different stuff), then try going to the ini folder, and find something called mame64.ini or similar. Make a copy of it, put it in the root folder, rename to mame.ini and give that a try with shmupmame. No promises though.

Different versions of MAME can share the same config files, but I've had issues in the past where they expect them to be in different folders, which can create duplicates which can then create conflicts (or at the very least you edit the file and nothing happens).

There are command line things to generate ini files as well but I can't remember any of that stuff.

13. mametgm -createconfig

I think the filename it's looking for is more like mame.ini or config.ini -- you could also just make a file like that in Notepad with just the line joystick=1, and I think that should work.

14. If you're like me, and can't figure out how to do crud in command line, what you'll want to do is make a shortcut to mametgm64.exe (or whatever you call your blender at this point). Open the Properties page of the shortcut after making it, and where you see the "C:\(pathy stuff here)\mametgm64.exe", just tack " -cc" at the end of it. Yes, the added space before the -cc flag is needed.
    [​IMG]

Tomek likes this.
  15. I totally forgot about that, thanks for the tip ;)

16. Sorry ive been busy guys been up to a lot decided to look into the problem So in the config text document of mame it says that by default mame does not read joysticks im not sure if i change it in that config file (found in the docs folder) or start mame up in the command line and change it there not sure what to do or how to do it thanks for the help guys

Attached Files:

17. also i tried the above mentioned adding the -cc to the end and the program just opens up and dies not sure if its supposed to do that or the comand line should open up

18. It's supposed to open up and die, but now you should see the .ini to change settings floating around now. Paint up your blender by editing that .ini, and you'll be good to go.

19. we did it.PNG pic.PNG OK guys we finally did it i re mapped all the controls to the gamepad in 360 mode for some reason xbox 1 would not work although it works like this in fight cade and other emulated and is sometimes preferred in windows 10, anyways i changed it to use the joystick and at that point it was a simple as remaping and now that thats over we can get to the hard part... getting good thanks everyone who helped on the thread

20. As a side note i didn't need the other version of mame that i downloaded i just put the mameTgm in its own folder made a roms folder did the shortcut properties command line method to make the settings config and we were in business no fancy mame neded

Omio9999 likes this.