I need halp sort of.

Thread in 'Strategy' started by Jutsu, 31 Jan 2010.

1. I wouldn't know which section to put this in but.

Currently I am playing tetrisfriends.com, but I feel like i want to give a harder tetris a whirl but I don't even know where to start.
    I have also noticed that my play style isn't any where near as fast as I want it to be if you guys have any hints on how to speed up that would be nice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qq3eDBUgNw
    Me playing ultra one quarter the my desired speed.

The play style I use is simple stack them up and then throw a line piece to the far right of the stack for a tetris I don't know any other ways but it still manages to land me a pretty good 100% on the rating for survival and marathon. But I don't even know what to consider good anymore if you guys could show me a gold standard for overall good that would help as well.

Also, I don't know how much practice is needed to get good.

Thanx.

2. If you want harder Tetris, then switch to either the TGM series and the various fan-made clones (Texmaster, Nullpomino), or if you want to stay playing online, go for Blockbox.

3. Edo

Edo a.k.a. FSY

Hi Jutsu, welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

Rosti has already given some good suggestions, and I'll certainly agree that if you're looking for something harder, the TGM series should be right up your alley.

If you like vs. mode play, you could try Tetris Splash for XBOX Live Arcade or even though it's old, Tetris DS. Quite a few of the guys here still play those games, and should be able to offer some strong opposition. TOJ (Tetris Online Japan) is pretty good too, although the language barrier might be a slight problem. These are all Guideline games and will include things like SRS and infinite spin. Sadly, there aren't really any official non-Guideline multiplayer games that are easily accessible, but the fan-made Blockbox (Rosti mentioned it above) is pretty good.

For single player action, if you like the Guideline, then you will struggle to find anything particularly challenging. Tetris Zone's Master mode and Tetris New Century's Extra mode are all that come to mind. Outside of the Guideline though, there's a lot more challenge to be found. The TGM series that everyone here seems to clamour on about is pretty insane. I'm sure you've seen this video: TGM3 Tetris Arika !!! Invisible Tetris. That's the third game in the series being played by jin8, a top Japanese player. Even the very first game in the series is very challenging, and great entertainment. Here's a video of 3 of the strongest players in the world racing each other to the Grand Master rank: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tXognz0Nj0.

If you want to get into TGM, they're only avaiable as arcade boards unfortunately (literally a load of chips on a printed circuit board)*. But the first game in the series isn't all that expensive, it'll set you back about the price of two next-gen console games. There are also a few TGM machines dotted around the globe outside of Japan, so depending on where you live, you may be able to find one in your local arcade.

*The first two games in the series are also emulated reasonably well, but we're not really in a position to discuss that legally.

4. ...which is why Rosti mentioned clones. :p

5. I am sorry but I don't know where any of this stuff is. Or how to emulate any of it, I am fairly new to it all.

6. You can find Texmaster in the thread on the General board of the same name.

7. Texmaster and NullpoMino are great clones. Texmaster for performance and NullpoMino for flexibility and mode variety.
    Stay away from NDS_TGM if you don't care for portability.

8. Thanks guys, I will check all this stuff out.
    I am still open to any opinions.